• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Move Brandon Marsh to First Base?

Second Base

With all due respect this is a silly idea and I have only made it through the first message. He is either a top trade candidate or he is in the outfield at some point in the next 1-2 years. He is the superior defender out of any outfielders we currently have at the Major League level or in the Minors.

14 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

There is no chance they’re going to acquire a 1B as long as Pujols is under contract and Ohtani is eating up DH AB’s. They also have multiple options who can play adequate 1B. Only position player upgrade we’ll see (absent a buyout of Pujols or a trade for pitching).

If the Angels do wind up having some payroll space I could see them signing someone like Smoak to a 1-year deal for depth purposes. Certainly La Stella, Fletcher, or Walsh could play 1B but depth is critical and we haven't had much of it in recent years, so if Eppler has the cash I could easily see Ohtani and Pujols splitting the DH games and a free agent/trade target picking up a lot of the 1B duties.

13 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

My first thought was, "What?!?" as well, but the more I think about it, it makes sense. A lot of smarter teams than you and me have used rookies that way. It's not an impossibility. Doesn't mean I think they will, but to say there's no precedent for moving a young, elite defensive player to a different position (e.g. Bellinger; heck, even Betts has played 2B periodically; the Angels used Erstad at 1B) is just untrue. 

And if it helps him crack the majors? It honestly makes more sense than moving Upton to 1B. Much as I'd like that to happen, it doesn't seem very likely, and DH isn't open to any serious degree.

It's some powerful punch.

I can see the OF being Trout, Adell, Upton in 2020. Adell did have a great AFL. 

I can see Marsh up later in 2020, but likely up in 2021.

I can see Adams up in 2022.

But I can also see one of these guys traded for a starter like Matt Boyd this offseason. 

Grichuck was in a similar position when they swapped him for Freese. 

Marsh learning first base wouldn't be out of the ordinary (Bellinger, Erstad, etc.), but I don't think it's necessary.

Pujols and La Stella are good options at first base, and it's too early to give up on Thiass. 

Thiass hit .211 with 8 HRs in his first 147 AB, compared to Trout who hit .220 with 5 HRs in his first 123 AB.

Obviously Thiass will never be Trout, but what he has done so far is respectable.

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree with everyone else here in that Marsh should never pick up an infield glove. 

He has a good shot at being every bit as good as Kole Calhoun in RF, if not better. 

As good as a defender as Adell and Trout are in the outfield, I venture to say that Marsh may be the best of the three. 

Maybe he should pick up a catchers glove?

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

This is silly. He has a no trade clause. No one is moving him.

He had a bad year fueled by injuries and lack of a real preseason. Never really got his timing. This nonsense about being a problem is just dumb. 

Trade Trout then.