• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The dark web

Tank

not legal.  a couple of my passwords have been compromised by the dw ,and they're complete nonsense.  

i do 2fa with apps (authy, etc) on everything now since phones are much more secure than pc's.  my nephew works as an online security agent with a credit union, and has been super helpful. 

my main email hasn't been compromised *yet* as far as i know. 

it's not something to take lightly. the fucktards who have your info bide their time.  be careful. 

Tank if you can find it and have about an hour and a half to kill check out Deep Web:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3312868/

This is a documentary I came across about a year ago about the guy who ran (or didn't depending on who you believe) Silk Road which was a website on the dark web where you could buy and sell pretty much anything - drugs, people, murder for hire, information, etc while the currency of choice was bitcoin because it's basically untraceable.  As one of the reviews on IMDB says this isn't going to give you an in depth look into the dark web but it gives you a good idea of what kind of stuff one might come across on there.

I just listened to the three-part Casefile episode about Silk Road, which was a website on the deep web that was basically eBay for drugs. The founder originally created it for people to sell just marijuana and psychedelics, but he eventually got greedy and allowed people to sell hard drugs, guns, and fake IDs. All transactions were done through BitCoin, so it was (seemingly) impossible for purchases to be tracked.

A quick Google search showed me that the dark web is a small section of the deep web. I thought they were the same thing.

Edited by Taylor

16 hours ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

not legal.  a couple of my passwords have been compromised by the dw ,and they're complete nonsense.  

i do 2fa with apps (authy, etc) on everything now since phones are much more secure than pc's.  my nephew works as an online security agent with a credit union, and has been super helpful. 

my main email hasn't been compromised *yet* as far as i know. 

it's not something to take lightly. the fucktards who have your info bide their time.  be careful. 

Im always wondering how easy it would be to do tiny charges to a card over time, vs a few big ones and you get a bank alert.

How come phones are more secure?

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

16 hours ago, Tank said:

Have heard it mentioned several times in recent years.

what is it? Is it legal? How do you get there? Why does it exist?

sorry for stealing your thunder, @notherhalo.

Dark Web is the most misunderstood part of the web.  Here is what I think is the dark web.  I think it's supposed to make up like 90% of the internet, and yet people don't know what it is.  All they hear about is The Onion Router (TOR) and the mainly illegal .onion sites and think that's the dark web.  

When the Dark Web is mainly everything that "search engines" like Google can't access and categorize.  

I'll use two pretty common examples out there.  LA Times and UCLA.  Both have websites where you can get information. 

LA Times, being a news source has a lot more presence on the regular internet, and you will find them in searches all the time.  But LA Times has it's non public sections and also it's archives.  Have you noticed how you can't seem to get any older news articles from the LA Times.  Especially if it's a non common topic?  In most cases, those articles are archived and put behind a firewall and go from the web to the dark web.  Even articles and photos.  LA Times has a ton of those that never see the light of the web.  But those in the industry have access to them, and can buy the printing rights and use them.  But until that happens, they are on the web, just not accessable to everyone so on the dark web.  

UCLA.  An educational university as large as them.  And in all probabilities, when you do a google search on a topic you are researching, how often do you get a result from any educational institution.  These are institutions that are doing constant research and publishing papers and dissertations.  The information is on the "web", but unless you know where to look, and have the proper credentials, the public/search engines won't be able to access that information.  Thus on the dark web.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

^ no kidding.

Lets be honest, 6 letter ones are too, now that you have to change them every 2 months.

Just create a system, and it's not that hard.

TenOchoReconScout

TnOoRcnou

Add a random name, that you can change if you want to change your passwords often.  And if you want to make it even more secure, just use the consonants or vowels only.

TnOoRcnouTank

Add a birthday or any numbers you can remember, like an old zip code or old area code and first 3 digits of a phone number.  0819

TnOoRcnouTank0819

Add 2 numbers that you can remember easily.  27.  Then use the keyboard characters for those two numbers.  @&

TnOoRcnouTank0819@&

There you got a 20 digit password, that will come up strong on any password verifier, and all you have to remember is 4 common things.  But it will look like random letters to most everyone else.  

5 hours ago, gotbeer said:

TenOchoReconScout

TnOoRcnou

Add a random name, that you can change if you want to change your passwords often.  And if you want to make it even more secure, just use the consonants or vowels only.

TnOoRcnouTank

Add a birthday or any numbers you can remember, like an old zip code or old area code and first 3 digits of a phone number.  0819

TnOoRcnouTank0819

Add 2 numbers that you can remember easily.  27.  Then use the keyboard characters for those two numbers.  @&

TnOoRcnouTank0819@&

There you got a 20 digit password, that will come up strong on any password verifier, and all you have to remember is 4 common things.  But it will look like random letters to most everyone else.  

Oh, that’s just dandy.

now I have to go and change all of my bank passwords thanks to your little “random” example here.

thanks a lot.

6 hours ago, gotbeer said:

TenOchoReconScout

TnOoRcnou

TnOoRcnouTank

TnOoRcnouTank0819

TnOoRcnouTank0819@&

2 things. You lost me at the beginning, because im old. And even worse, you suggested i add @Tank to it.... the man has no taste for classic movies, which we all call "films", or perhaps "pictures".

If i add @Tank to my password, 2 months from now ill write "TORSnotaste" or "TORSprobablydidntlikeALFeither" and get locked out.

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

2 things. You lost me at the beginning, because im old. And even worse, you suggested i add @Tank to it.... the man has no taste for classic movies, which we all call "films", or perhaps "pictures".

If i add @Tank to my password, 2 months from now ill write "TORSnotaste" or "TORSprobablydidntlikeALFeither" and get locked out.

TenOchoReconScout

Ten Ocho RecoScout

First word use only consonants, second word use only vowels, third word use only consonants, fourth word use only vowels.  Capitalize if it's the first letter in a word.

TnOoRcnou

You could also just use the consonants and come up with

TnchRcnSct

• 1 year later...
On 8/19/2019 at 10:12 AM, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Tank if you can find it and have about an hour and a half to kill check out Deep Web:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3312868/

This is a documentary I came across about a year ago about the guy who ran (or didn't depending on who you believe) Silk Road which was a website on the dark web where you could buy and sell pretty much anything - drugs, people, murder for hire, information, etc while the currency of choice was bitcoin because it's basically untraceable.  As one of the reviews on IMDB says this isn't going to give you an in depth look into the dark web but it gives you a good idea of what kind of stuff one might come across on there.

Just finished watching this. Definitely one-sided, but still interesting.

Here's an interesting article addressing Trump possibly granting him a pardon.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/12/the-double-standard-of-a-trump-pardon-for-silk-road-founder-ross-ulbricht