• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: This tweet puts Mike Trout's unbelievable MLB career in perspective

Angels slugger Mike Trout is the face of baseball, and he’s shattering records left and right, even at only 28 years of age.

Trout is currently in the prime of his career, but he still has much to accomplish, which shows just how high his ceiling is. He’s hit .306 for his career, with 281 home runs and 744 RBIs.

But he’s really just getting started.

The crazy thing is that Trout just tied Derek Jeter in an important statistic, and it’s important to note that it took the Yankees legend 20 years to accomplish it.

Trout just keeps setting the bar higher and higher.

View the full article

I am a sorry if I am not amazed by Trout passing Jeter in just 9 seasons.  Don’t get me wrong, Trout is one of the greatest of all time.  All this does is remind me how grossly overrated Jeter is historically.

The difference in greatness between Trout and Jeter is astronomical.

I always remind people that Jeter’s lifetime WAR is barely barely ahead of Bobby Grich.

Jeter is a bonafide Hall of Famer, of course.  But my personal opinion is he is THE most overrated Hall of Famer in history.

Let this sink in.

Of all MLB players who played their careers from the 1960s on, Trout (1.001) is currently second in career OPS, behind only Barroids (1.051).    

No active players are even close to Trout.   Cabrera is probably the closest, at .939.   Albert is at .929.

Of course, Trout has only played for 8 MLB seasons so far.

5 hours ago, zenmaster said:

What if Trout was drafted by the Yankees and has been putting up these numbers for 8 years in NYC? And led them to some WS championships? They'd probably have a few shrines built in his honor already with his statue being a couple hundred feet tall.

playing in the ALE Trout's WAR would be 100 by now...

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I get that Jeter is over rated but not by as much as some people think.  Dude has 3465 hits, that’s insane.  That’s 400 more than Boggs or Carew, and 300 more than Gwynn.  He was a helluva ball player. 

All true. The fun (for me) in calling Jeter overrated is seeing the reactions of Yankees fans. Deep down, they know he's a little overrated, so they go apoplectic when you claim that he was extremely overrated. For five years, I lived with a woman whose father was a diehard Yankees fan. Despite having been a kid in the 50s and 60s, his favorite Yankee (by far) was Jeter. While watching games, he would point out absurd things like "Look at the way Jeter argues with the ump - he's always so classy!" Bob Costas would have rolled his eyes at the way this guy slobbered over Jeter. 

So I always enjoyed pointing out things like "Look at the classy way he booted that ground ball!" Immature of me? Yes. But being surrounded by Yankees fans can bring that out in anyone. 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

I get that Jeter is over rated but not by as much as some people think.  Dude has 3465 hits, that’s insane.  That’s 400 more than Boggs or Carew, and 300 more than Gwynn.  He was a helluva ball player. 

I like your thinking.  Jeter has like 8% more hits than Boggs and Gwynn.  Hey, Don Sutton had 324 wins compared to Randy Johnson at 303.  Man, that Don Sutton was a helluva ball player.

Oh wait, that’s exactly how we look at Don Sutton, as a helluva ball player, and not the second coming of Jesus Christ or among the elite of the elite like so many view Jeter.

A helluva ball player? Yes, exactly so he belongs in the HOF.  The point is Jeter is way way overrated beyond being a helluva ballplayer.

Larry Walker was also a helluva ballplayer.  So was Jeff Bagwell.  So was Eddie Murray.

Edited by Dtwncbad

12 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I like your thinking.  Jeter has like 8% more hits than Boggs and Gwynn.  Hey, Don Sutton had 324 wins compared to Randy Johnson at 303.  Man, that Don Sutton was a helluva ball player.

Oh wait, that’s exactly how we look at Don Sutton, as a helluva ball player, and not the second coming of Jesus Christ or among the elite of the elite like so many view Jeter.

A helluva ball player? Yes, exactly so he belongs in the HOF.  The point is Jeter is way way overrated beyond being a helluva ballplayer.

Larry Walker was also a helluva ballplayer.  So was Jeff Bagwell.  So was Eddie Murray.

Cool story.  

2 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Shortstop for the New York Yankees for 20 years and won 5 titles when baseball was more popular than it is now (I’m assuming, don’t have facts to back it up). 

I’m fine with Jeter being rated how he is. It’s how the world works 

Well I would go with “Guy who they played at shortstop” over shortstop. . .

AndI fully agree with the “popular” angle.  He deserves his popularity.  I just think there should be some mental discipline in separating the highest level of popularity with the highest level of greatness.

Not the same.

I have no problem with Jeter being more popular than a Larry Walker.  It somehow bothers me (and maybe it shouldn’t) that it has translated into most people viewing Jeter as a way better ballplayer than a Larry Walker.