• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kole Calhoun trade value

I know there have been trade threads already but it seems like most here think Kole is the only that is most likely to be moved and so I figured he deserved his own thread.

He has a bWAR of 1.9 and fWAR of 1.7 so what could he bring back in a trade? Are there any comparable comps to him over the last couple of years?

Ok, i got a crazy one for you.... Send him to Cle for Bauer.

If Cle is going to make a run it sure looks like they could use some OF help on the short term.  Why would they... easy, they save a few mil this year, can simply decline the option after if the kids get more ready, it checks all the boxes.  Hes got nearly as many bombs as their current OF put together (Bauers, Mercado, Puplow, Naquin) for comparable other stats plus the GG defense.  

No, it isnt balanced,  might need to be but thats the basics of it. 

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

If Cle is going to make a run it sure looks like they could use some OF help on the short term.  Why would they... easy, they save a few mil this year, can simply decline the option after if the kids get more ready, it checks all the bozes.  Hes got nearly as many bombs as their current OF put together (Bauers, Mercado, Puplow, Naquin) for comparable other stats plus the GG defense.  

There's about a 0.00000000% chance the Indians make that trade.

5 minutes ago, Taylor said:

There's about a 0.00000000% chance the Indians make that trade.

as i said, a crazy one, i dont think it will happen but its far from as far fetched  as you think it is.  
They dont have any near ML ready top OF prospects and a quick google search finds many articles about them targeting OF.  
Its not as out there as you think.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

They're not going to trade an ace-caliber starter for a guy who's hitting .230 and is a free agent after the season. Perhaps Calhoun could be included in the deal, but it would take a lot more than just him.

As i said, not balanced. 
But the 230 isnt the issue, what game have you been watching?  230 is the new 275 as long as it has pop and OBP, lol

1 hour ago, floplag said:

as i said, a crazy one, i dont think it will happen but its far from as far fetched  as you think it is.  
They dont have any near ML ready top OF prospects and a quick google search finds many articles about them targeting OF.  
Its not as out there as you think.

Its farther than far fetched. Literally 0% chance they would even entertain the thought of it. They would laugh and hang up

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I do wonder if Justin Upton should just play 1B in 2020, opening an OF spot to keep Calhoun.

Upton is better than Pujols so 1B is better.

And an OF of Calhoun Trout and Adell is pretty confortable.

This one has been talked about, and is something to consider as Pujols turns 40 in 2020.   How many games at 1B can a 40 year-old Pujols with aging legs be counted on to play?    Marsh is likely a year away, and thus if he's ready by July 2020, then Calhoun could be dealt since he would only be owed about $5-6 million. 

Down side is that keeping Calhoun in 2020 might make signing a major FA like Gerrit Cole a moot point.   

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I do wonder if Justin Upton should just play 1B in 2020, opening an OF spot to keep Calhoun.

Upton is better than Pujols so 1B is better.

And an OF of Calhoun Trout and Adell is pretty confortable.

Should Upton move to 1B? Yeah. Will he in 2020? No. Albert plays, no matter who writes the lineup.

I’m wondering if Upton has ever played first, has any interest in playing first, or if the team has any interest in having him play first.

Its not the most demanding position on the field, but to take a career-long outfielder and just expect him to be suddenly capable of being a solid infielder has very few precedents.

2 hours ago, floplag said:

If Cle is going to make a run it sure looks like they could use some OF help on the short term.  Why would they... easy, they save a few mil this year, can simply decline the option after if the kids get more ready, it checks all the boxes.  Hes got nearly as many bombs as their current OF put together (Bauers, Mercado, Puplow, Naquin) for comparable other stats plus the GG defense.  

In a nutshell, if Cleveland is going to make a run, they would rather have Bauer to make that run than Calhoun.  So would the Angels.

1 minute ago, Tank said:

I’m wondering if Upton has ever played first, has any interest in playing first, or if the team has any interest in having him play first.

Its not the most demanding position on the field, but to take a career-long outfielder and just expect him to be suddenly capable of being a solid infielder has very few precedents.

He will have to do so anyway, once both Adell and Marsh are ready.   I'd give him instructions to work on 1B defense in the off-season, and play him extensively at 1B in ST games. 

A couple deals last year strike me as three comparables with a little bit of differentiation.

• Cincinnati traded Adam Duvall to Atlanta for Preston Tucker, Lucas Sims, and Matt Wisler - basically a trio of failing former top prospects who were in quad-A status. Just a bunch of lotto tickets.
  • Arizona acquiring pending FA Eduardo Escobar from Minnesota for Arizona's #11 and #19 - comparable to Leonardo Rivas, Aaron Hernandez, and Torii Hunter, Jr. (an unranked older player doing well against younger comp)

24 minutes ago, Tank said:

Thank you. I've always wondered this same thing. There's no indication Upton playing 1B is even the slightest bit feasible. Every pro inning has been in the outfield, and while he isn't the best defensively, he's still one of the better players in the game and a move to 1B should not be expected.
It's not totally unrealistic, but I don't think it happens...maybe occasionally in his final year, 2022, when Marsh and Adell both will have gotten more than enough reps to earn a job. Also, Marsh could be prime trade bait.

I imagine it plays out like this...and I'm continuing with my theory in the Kole Calhoun 2.0 thread that the Angels hold onto him for next year.

• '19: Upton, Trout, Calhoun - Adell stays in AAA.
  • '20: Upton, Trout, Calhoun, with Adell and Marsh playing together in AAA serving as emergency depth, Adell  does get some playing time. 
  • '21: Upton, Trout, Adell, with Marsh now serving as the AAA emergency reserve.
  • '22: Upton, Trout, Adell, with Upton playing DH when Ohtani isn't, and Marsh perhaps the regular 4th OF/Upton-platoon
  • '23: Marsh, Trout, Adell (maybe Trout moves to a corner by now)

Adell doesn't need to be added to the 40-man for Rule 5 protection until after the 2021 season - he'll be in the majors before then, but it's another reason why the Angels have incentive to hold him in the minors until next season. 
Marsh however does need to be added end of 2020 to avoid protection - he's a year ahead Adell in that sense. 

I think it'd be good for both guys to get a rapport together as well, and it would be good for the Angels to have high-impact depth at the ready in SLC if they truly intend to compete 2020. Having Kole in the mix still does not hurt our chances for contending anymore than adding Adell does, unless we really need another $14m on top of the $30m we have to spend already. 

Edited by totdprods

38 minutes ago, floplag said:

And as usual people shit on answers but offer nothing of their own.  
Whatever... just delete it, he has no value, we shouldnt bother even discussing it. 
Back to the daily Trout pron and everyone else sucks , lol 

I mean, he has value. We all know he has value. 

But you suggested trading him for Cleveland's ace. A team in the playoff hunt isn't trading their best pitcher for anybody, let alone a 1.7 WAR right fielder. You yourself said it was "unbalanced". We could throw in Adell and Canning and I still don't think Cleveland even considers pulling the trigger. Teams value pitching more than offense. That's doubly true for teams in the playoff hunt.

You said it was a "crazy one" and people called it crazy, and now you're mad that they called it crazy. What the F*ck man.

“There's no indication Upton playing 1B is even the slightest bit feasible.”

Actually, if you really take a deep dive you can see some indications that he could play first in the majors.  Maybe not everyone can see it but some of us can.

He is a great athlete, over 5 feet tall, that can catch a ball thrown to him.

That’s a lot to take in, but give it some consideration.

From article on milb about Jo Adell "He trusts the Angels' plan for him, which the outfielder said was promised by general manager Billy Eppler to be aggressive." 

Maybe I'm wrong, but promising to be aggressive does not mean spending a year in AAA as insurance.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

And as usual people shit on answers but offer nothing of their own.  
Whatever... just delete it, he has no value, we shouldnt bother even discussing it. 
Back to the daily Trout pron and everyone else sucks , lol 

Calhoun + Marsh for Bauer + PTBNL + Cash considerations 

19 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

From article on milb about Jo Adell "He trusts the Angels' plan for him, which the outfielder said was promised by general manager Billy Eppler to be aggressive." 

Maybe I'm wrong, but promising to be aggressive does not mean spending a year in AAA as insurance.

The rest of that also goes on to say how aggressive the Angel have already been in promoting and challenging him. It could be just as relevant to the way they’ve treated him last year and this year as it could next year. 

Trout also started as AAA insurance in ‘12, despite his minor league track record and a cup of coffee in 2011. So, no, I’m not buying that Adell is a shoe-in for starting 2020 RF.