• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels fans make an all-too-familiar tribute to Tyler Skaggs

Some of them approached in tears. Some knelt. Some closed their eyes and spoke softly in prayer.

They brought red carnations and roses, rally monkeys and baseball caps. Many wrote solemn messages that ended with #45, a tribute to Tyler Skaggs, the 27-year-old  Angels pitcher who was found dead Monday afternoon at the team’s hotel in Texas.

Angels fans felt compelled to come to the Big A  upon hearing about Skaggs’ death. Many of them talked about how sad it was to see the makeshift memorial in the same spot – the bricked mound in the stadium’s plaza – where they had left flowers for Nick Adenhart, the Angels pitcher killed by a drunk driver in 2009.

“I had to drop everything and come immediately,” said Alex Ramirez of Santa Ana. “It really hit me. It happens too frequently with the Angels.”

• LDN-L-SKAGGS-BIGA-0701-08-LO.jpg

Mourners gather around aa memorial for Angel pitcher Tyler Skaggs outside Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Monday, July 1, 2019. Skaggs died in Texas at the age of 27. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• LDN-L-SKAGGS-BIGA-0701-07-LO.jpg

An emotional Amanda Wojciechowski, right, and her son Mason, 4, drove from Long Beach to visit a memorial for Angel pitcher Tyler Skaggs outside Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Monday, July 1, 2019. Tyler Skaggs died in Texas at the age of 27 (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• Sound
    The gallery will resume inseconds
  • LDN-L-SKAGGS-BIGA-0701-03-LO.jpg

Bob Horan of Anaheim leaves flowers at a memorial outside Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Monday, July 1, 2019 in memory of Angel pitcher Tyler Skaggs who died in Texas at the age of 27 (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• LDN-L-SKAGGS-BIGA-0701-05-LO.jpg

An electronic sign at the entrance to Angel Stadium has Tyler Skaggs birth and death year in Anaheim on Monday, July 1, 2019. Angel pitcher Tyler Skaggs died in Texas at the age of 27. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• LDN-L-SKAGGS-BIGA-0701-06-LO.jpg

Bob Horan of Anaheim pauses at a memorial outside Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Monday, July 1, 2019 in memory of Angel pitcher Tyler Skaggs who died in Texas at the age of 27. “I’m shocked and stunned,” said Horan. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• LDN-L-SKAGGS-BIGA-0701-02-LO.jpg

Nancy Dodson of Garden Grove pauses to say a pray at a memorial outside Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Monday, July 1, 2019 in memory of Angel pitcher Tyler Skaggs who died in Texas at the age of 27. Dodson was on the way to Angel Stadium to pick up free tickets when she heard on the news that Tyler had died. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• LDN-L-SKAGGS-BIGA-0701-01-LO1.jpg

An impromptu memorial is set up on the pitchers mound outside Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Monday, July 1, 2019 in memory of Angel pitcher Tyler Skaggs who died in Texas at the age of 27. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• LDN-L-SKAGGS-BIGA-0701-04-LO.jpg

Angel fans, front to back, Reza Agahi, Grant Gaynor, both of Anaheim and William St.Marseille of Orange leave flowers at a memorial outside Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Monday, July 1, 2019 in memory of Angel pitcher Tyler Skaggs who died in Texas at the age of 27. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

of

Expand

Bob Horan of Anaheim took a knee and stared at the message board that read: Tyler Skaggs, 1991-2019. He brought a bouquet.

“I’m shocked and stunned at another tragedy that has befallen the Angels,” said Horan, an Angels fan since 1961 and a season ticket holder. “It seems like this happens a lot to this organization. The only thing I could do was come down here with the flowers.”

Skaggs. Adenhart. Lyman Bostock. Donnie Moore. Mike Miley. The list of Angels and former Angels who died tragically is too long.

“Again, tragedy with the Angels,” said Ernie Morales of Orange. “Why so young? He (Skaggs) was just coming into his own.”

Grant Gaynor of Anaheim said he met Skaggs during spring training. The Angels pitcher took the time to talk with him and gave him an autographed baseball.

Monday afternoon, Gaynor placed a baseball on the makeshift memorial.

“He gave me a baseball, so I brought one for him,” Gaynor said.

James Reynolds had brought his wife and two sons for a tour of the stadium when the news broke about Skaggs’ death.

“It’s sad for someone so young and their life to be taken so easily,” Reynolds said.

Reynolds sat next to his sons in silence.

“I don’t know how to explain that one to them,” he said. “I’m at a loss for words.”

Ricky and Michael Martinez, brothers from Santa Ana, placed the first roses on the makeshift memorial. They brought a plastic Angels batting helmet that said “LTBU in heaven Tyler.” LTBU refers to lights on the Big A in the parking lot and the way announcer Victor Rojas proclaims an Angels victory, “Light that baby up.”

“He was an amazing player,” Ricky Martinez said. “He had his whole career ahead of him.”

Roberto Gutierrez of Corona brought a hat from the Corona Pirates, his son’s Little League team.

“The guy has been there for us,” Gutierrez said. “We’ve got to be there for him and his family. He’s a good guy. The Angels always have time for us fans. When I heard the news, I told myself I’ve got to go down there.”

Ashley Flores of Anaheim was tearful as she took pictures of the memorial with her phone.

“I’m devastated,” she said. “You don’t think something like this is going to happen.”

View the full article