• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Would you make this trade?

Once Suarez was pulled from his AAA game last night, it got me thinking. If we actually did trade him, it would need to be for something that we need more than his pitching services, which isn't much because most expect him to be pretty solid looking run. 

With the amount of infield and outfield depth on hand, it wouldn't make sense to trade him for a position player, unless it was a catcher, and even then, teams aren't exactly falling over themselves to trade top catching prospects, not unless they are already set at catcher. 

The Padres happen to be pretty set at catcher with Austin Hedges, and they have a top catching prospect in Francisco Mejia.

Would you trade Jose Suarez for Francisco Mejia.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Once Suarez was pulled from his AAA game last night, it got me thinking. If we actually did trade him, it would need to be for something that we need more than his pitching services, which isn't much because most expect him to be pretty solid looking run. 

With the amount of infield and outfield depth on hand, it wouldn't make sense to trade him for a position player, unless it was a catcher, and even then, teams aren't exactly falling over themselves to trade top catching prospects, not unless they are already set at catcher. 

The Padres happen to be pretty set at catcher with Austin Hedges, and they have a top catching prospect in Francisco Mejia.

Would you trade Jose Suarez for Francisco Mejia.

Yea I would.  

The Angels greatest deficit is pitching. Starting or relief, they are in desperate need of pitching. It is one commodity that is scarce and volatile so volume is the only course to survive the season. Of the starters the Angels have on the roster, right now, you can keep Canning and dump the rest. But to do that you need a replacement. 

So it's like this, you need new tires and your buddy takes your money, goes to the tire store and buys rims. 

I wouldn't. 

He may have hit well in the minors, but so has everyone of our prospects in AA/AAA except J. Jones. 

Small sample size but Mejia has only slashed .171/.231/.301 over 50 games in the big leagues and most scouts don't think he'll hit for that much power in the big leagues. 

"Mejia's issue is he swings at everything. His ultra aggressiveness led to an 29 strikeout rate and weak contact against pitcher's pitches, an unsustainable approach he'll need to corral. Mejia has a bazaooka for a right arm and the athleticism to be a solid-average catcher, but he often lacks focus, resulting in numerous passed balls. In part because of his lack of reliability, the Indians experimented with Mejia at third base and left field."

The catcher I would want would be Victor Caratini from the Cubs. A switch hitting C  that's blocked by Wilson Contreras, who he's currently backing up right now and slashing .350/.469/.550,

Caratini's career minor league slash is .290/.371/.428 over 500 games and while he doesn't have the arm that Mejia has, he's a better bat and better defensively. 

Trading pitching, bod move cotton.... i highly doubt most here would go for that.
Would i?  i dont think so not in this case, if im trading a young pitcher i want a guarantee, i dont think Mejia is that so as bad as i think we need a long term C answer, we cant afford to be wrong and lose a chip like Suarez. 

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Hell yes.  

Why would SD do that though with all of their other SP prospects?  

SD is gonna use their prospects for quality regulars 

Same here.  It was simply me throwing an idea out there. The Padres have enough depth at every position that they don't need to trade for anything really. But they are turning to guys like Margevicius and Quantrill, who both could use more seasoning, and the acquisition of Suarez gives them a good guy to compliment Lucchesi, gives extra time to Lamet for his rehab and at the very least becomes a good bullpen option.

I don't think they'd make that trade either,  but I think it's something to think about at least, particularly if the Angels added an intriguing bullpen option to the deal.