• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Double Play question

Torridd

Why doesn't a player get an rbi after hitting into a double play? Is this purely a penalty for a person making two outs? I don't see a big difference in a sacrifice bunt or fly other than you're making one out instead of two. If the hitter was able to beat out the double play he would still make an out, so the issue isn't even about "sacrifices."

2 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Why doesn't a player get an rbi after hitting into a double play? Is this purely a penalty for a person making two outs? I don't see a big difference in a sacrifice bunt or fly other than you're making one out instead of two. If the hitter was able to beat out the double play he would still make an out, so the issue isn't even about "sacrifices."

I think it's that the team would have been better off with a sacrifice.

56 minutes ago, Torridd said:

RBI on a single out is thought to be a situation where the defense had to choose between one or the other -- IE, the hitter forced the decision and earned the RBI in the process.   If a run scores on a double play, then the rationale for denying an RBI is that the defense puts so little value on the run that they are willing to trade the run to get the two outs.   In essence it's not believed the batter did anything to earn the RBI.