• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels look to high-tech gadgets to get the most out of their pitchers

AngelsWin.com

• LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0220-KB1.jpg

Angels pitcher Jake Jewell throws to the plate during a spring training workout on Tuesday in Tempe, Ariz. The Angels are using the Edgertronic high-speed camera system to evaluate their pitchers. The cameras record pitchers in real time, with the ability to give highly detailed looks at the way they hold the ball, the way it comes off their fingers and the way it spins and moves toward the plate. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

• LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0220-KB3.jpg

The Angels are using Rapsodo tracking devices, like the one seen here, to collect data on their pitchers during spring training workouts in Tempe, Ariz. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

• Sound
    The gallery will resume inseconds
  • LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0220-KB4.jpg

Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs throws in the bullpen as pitching coach Doug White, left, looks on during spring training on Tuesday at Tempe Diablo Stadium in Tempe, Ariz. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

• LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0220-KB2-2.jpg

Angels pitcher Williams Jerez throws in the bullpen on Tuesday at Tempe Diablo Stadium in Tempe, Ariz. The Angels are using the Edgertronic high-speed camera system to evaluate their pitchers. The cameras record pitchers in real time, with the ability to give highly detailed looks at the way they hold the ball, the way it comes off their fingers and the way it spins and moves toward the plate. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

of

Expand

TEMPE, Ariz. — Tyler Skaggs unleashed the pitch and then turned to pitching coach Doug White.

“Dougie,” he said. “What was the spin on that curve?”

Welcome to Major League Baseball, circa 2019.

The Angels, like almost all big league teams, have taken their workouts to a new level technologically this year, with the installation of several digital devices that assist in their evaluations, specifically with pitchers.

“It’s cool,” Skaggs said. “It’s definitely a lot of new information that we haven’t had in the past. I think a lot of teams are going in that direction. I think it’s great. Instead of going off the eye test on every pitch, you can get the actual numbers.”

The two main devices the Angels have added to the pitching mix this year are Edgertronic high-speed cameras and Rapsodo tracking devices.

The cameras are set up on tripods right behind the pitcher. The Angels also have an overhead camera attached to an awning above one of the bullpen mounds on their practice field. They record pitchers in real time, with the ability to give highly detailed looks at the way they hold the ball, the way it comes off their fingers and the way it spins and moves toward the plate.

The Rapsodo trackers essentially replicate what the Trackman systems do in ballparks, but on a portable scale. They measure velocity, spin and break. The trackers sit on the ground between the plate and the mound, rising no more than about six inches off the grass.

“I love it,” Andrew Heaney said. “I’m excited. Any time you can have a new tool to help give you real solid data, I don’t think there’s any reason we would turn that down.”

Much of the data produced by these units was available previously, but not as easily accessible in real time.

Now, a pitcher can throw a pitch and then turn to one of the assistants holding a laptop behind the mound to find out the exact parameters of the pitch he just threw. Or he can see the video of the way the ball came off his fingers.

“Old school, a coach would stand back and say ‘That looked good, how did it feel?’ ” Heaney said. “Saying something looked good doesn’t make it any better or make it any less hittable. If you have a machine that can tell you the spin efficiency and the (revolutions per minute) and depth on a breaking ball when you hold it with two fingers, now you actually have data that tells you what makes it a better breaking ball.”

The new tools allow pitchers to also see the axis of their spin on their pitches, which can make a difference. Two pitches with the exact same spin rate can react differently depending on the angle of the spin, and the angle of the spin in relation to the seams.

“I’ve been here for three weeks and I’ve only scratched the surface,” Heaney sad. “I’ve barely gotten to the smallest level of what we are able to do with the equipment and technology now.”

Translating the technology into information that pitchers can implement is going to be where teams can find a competitive advantage because almost all of the teams now use the technology.

The Angels are one of 28 teams now using the Rapsodo devices, according to the company. They are also used by many top college baseball programs.

“What it does is give you instant feedback on what you’re trying to correct,” Manager Brad Ausmus said. “If you’re a pitcher, it tracks your hand. You feel what you threw or how it felt when you threw, and you can look at the Edgertronic and see what it looks like. Is that what you want? Not quite. Do it again. Basically, eventually you get to the point where you feel it and look at it, and that’s right. Now you try to repeat that. It’s instant feedback. That’s what a lot of the guys like.”

Because the devices are so portable, the Angels will continue to use them for bullpen sessions during the season, at home and on the road.

Exactly how they use it will continue to evolve, though.

“We need to throw more bullpens so we can kind of get a feel for what kind of numbers work for you and what doesn’t,” Skaggs said. “I think we’re in that process of deciding what to use and what not to use. We’re going to use everything and kind of narrow it down to what you feel is necessary.”

View the full article

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

good article.  Sounds like most of the players are adapting to this info very well.  

@Jeff Fletcher are there any players who are noticeably struggling with this approach or having a hard time adopting the new philosophy? 

I like to know more about the new philosophy ... if you don’t mind. Are you referring to the gadgets or approach to the hitter. 

44 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I did read it ... excellent teaching aide. I was just curious what you meant by philosophy. 

I was really implying that White is likely going to have a different approach with the players which involves using a lot more tech whereas things were more visual and feel.  I don't expect every player to take to that right away.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

good article.  Sounds like most of the players are adapting to this info very well.  

@Jeff Fletcher are there any players who are noticeably struggling with this approach or having a hard time adopting the new philosophy? 

I can’t say that I’ve watched all 30 pitchers through all their bullpens. I imagine even if someone didn’t want any of that info, having it available wouldn’t bother him. 

I get it.

It still comes back to an execution on each pitch. But, you also can't keep looking over your shoulder and asking how was that one.... To me it allows for more misdirection and an excuse opportunity regarding why someone failed during an inning, start, or given situation. Same reason yeah some analytics are great and some are not. If you've got a guy with an average spin rate and he gets guys out, doesnt put runners on base and gets ahead in the count. Is he less of a pitcher due to his average spin rate?

WELL, we went back over my Edgertronics data, video and pictures and my index finger was a quarter millimeter off center on my grip of the ball which then forced it to lay flat so Betts could shit all over it.....

Sometimes, over thinking hurts the team and game.

42 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I get it.

It still comes back to an execution on each pitch. But, you also can't keep looking over your shoulder and asking how was that one.... To me it allows for more misdirection and an excuse opportunity regarding why someone failed during an inning, start, or given situation. Same reason yeah some analytics are great and some are not. If you've got a guy with an average spin rate and he gets guys out, doesnt put runners on base and gets ahead in the count. Is he less of a pitcher due to his average spin rate?

WELL, we went back over my Edgertronics data, video and pictures and my index finger was a quarter millimeter off center on my grip of the ball which then forced it to lay flat so Betts could shit all over it.....

I am assuming that if a guy has average spin rate to start the game, then as the game progresses his spin rate stays the same, he is probably going to stay in the game.  This would be used to get initial readings and then to see if we have a drop in spin rate or performance.  

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

I am assuming that if a guy has average spin rate to start the game, then as the game progresses his spin rate stays the same, he is probably going to stay in the game.  This would be used to get initial readings and then to see if we have a drop in spin rate or performance.  

Strad,

Is that the only question or response to the entire reply?.....

What about the excuse platform? 

13 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I get it.

It’s just used for practice. 

If you want to throw a pitch that behaves a certain way, it’s handy to know what makes it do that, instead of guessing. Then once you’ve learned in practice, you don’t have to think about it in the game. 

There can be a downside to overusing analytics when it comes to game planning, but that’s an entirely different thing than what this story is about. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It’s just used for practice. 

If you want to throw a pitch that behaves a certain way, it’s handy to know what makes it do that, instead of guessing. Then once you’ve learned in practice, you don’t have to think about it in the game. 

There can be a downside to overusing analytics when it comes to game planning, but that’s an entirely different thing than what this story is about. 

Agreed Jeff!

We actually would play with grips during flat ground time.... cause you are 50-70% and focusing on mechaincs and release point from 50-70 feet away.

You can learn a lot during those close quarter times as well. Movement etc. That's where I learned grips of my 4 seam and 2 seam including finger pressure. Thank you Steve Rogers!

47 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Strad,

Is that the only question or response to the entire reply?.....

What about the excuse platform? 

I am not a guy who thinks athletes are bitches that look for excuses or managers are looking for excuses.  I don’t go from 6 to 12 when I hear Sosh tell us about a bullpen session.  If you want to live there, you do you.   You’d obviously know better about the psyche and sensitivity of a ballayer based on your minor league baseball history that I don’t have.   That being said that stuff does absolutely nothing for me.  Every single person regardless of profession has insecurities, but unlike 99% or other people, the MLB ballplayers failures are nationally broadcasted.  So no I don’t really have a thought on this data creating more excuses.