• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lefties in the Pen

AngelsHilo

Interesting that we have no lefties projected for the pen.  With the increased utilization of using metrics in making game management decisions, is Eppler insinuating that the lefty - lefty pitching matchup is now not statistically significant?  That a right handed reliever can just as effectively negate a lefty hitter?  My eye test watching Kole struggle to hit lefties tells me otherwise.  I think we need at least one lefty.

I agree and find this strange as well. Considering we were in discussion for two lefties leaves me scratching my head.

Unless Eppler is still working a way to make a trade for one of them? The Giants are looking for a veteran outfielder and Calhoun can help. Downfall is that his stats from last season give him zero value and he has a price tag of $10M with a 2020 $14M option.

I've also always found funny that righties can hit righties but lefties can't hit lefties. 

Jerez could potentially start the season if Eppler wants a lefty in there for a different look. But if a righty has a good change up or curveball or sinker even they can probably do the job in lieu of an actual lefty in the pen.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

Jerez could potentially start the season if Eppler wants a lefty in there for a different look. But if a righty has a good change up or curveball or sinker even they can probably do the job in lieu of an actual lefty in the pen.

He really struggled with the Halos though, after being acquired.

32 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He especially struggled against lefty batters, so until he can throw an out pitch against those guys there's no reason to use him as a situational guy out of the pen.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

He especially struggled against lefty batters, so until he can throw an out pitch against those guys there's no reason to use him as a situational guy out of the pen.

He only pitched a total of 5.1 innings. The sample size is complete sh*t.

Looking back at 2018 and 2017 he did better against lefties overall. He probably really is just a LOOGY unless he develops a better out pitch against RHHs.

30 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Impressed that you know of Lefty since he was a 1980s U. Of Maryland basketball coach.  I had the chance to hung out with him a few times.  A very funny person 

Yup.... I saw Len Bias play too...

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:05 PM, True Grich said:

Would you settle for a guy named "Lefty?"

image.png.10333554e5fb66023f91aac47825c9a4.png

Lefty Driesell

Coached the very first college team that I followed as a 9 year-old in Charlotte...……..Davidson College, the 2nd best college basketball team in N.C. even then (only Duke better).  Two future solid NBA players played for Davidson around that time (Fred Hetzel and Dick Snyder).

Davidson basketball was a big deal on Charlotte television at the time.

Longgggggggg before Steph arrived there in the 2000s 

On 1/30/2019 at 11:22 AM, angelsnationtalk said:

I agree and find this strange as well. Considering we were in discussion for two lefties leaves me scratching my head.

Unless Eppler is still working a way to make a trade for one of them? The Giants are looking for a veteran outfielder and Calhoun can help. Downfall is that his stats from last season give him zero value and he has a price tag of $10M with a 2020 $14M option.

I've also always found funny that righties can hit righties but lefties can't hit lefties. 

This was false, by the way, something I've heard from both sides.

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This was false, by the way, something I've heard from both sides.

Thanks for clarifying this, Jeff. 

It seems like this entire offseason has been flooded with clickbait false rumors. Absolutely horrible from the reporting side. Mainly in the Harper, Realmuto, Machado area. Guess we should assume if there is a rumor about us then it isn’t true since Eppler is super private. And if someone has absolutely no news about it, then it’s more true.