• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interpretor mound visits

Tank

have never seen this addressed or really needed to have it answered before, but wondered about it last night . . .

let's say that ohtani is pitching. the catcher or SS wants to talk with him. can the interpreter leave the dugout to join them on the mound without it counting as a visit from the manager/coach? or would it count as one of the official visits? seems like it could be abused and sosh could send him out there with messages. anyone know?

I think any personnel going to the mound - be it catcher, Nagy, Simmons, Sosh - counts as a mound visit.

I think the only time it doesn't count is in event of an injury - which I'm sure teams will exploit to a degree.

If a meeting results in a pitching change, it doesn't count towards the 6, correct? If so that seems like something else teams may exploit, making an occasional unnecessary pitching change just to keep it from counting against the limit - which seems to go against the idea of using limits to reduce pace of play.

22 minutes ago, Tank said:

have never seen this addressed or really needed to have it answered before, but wondered about it last night . . .

let's say that ohtani is pitching. the catcher or SS wants to talk with him. can the interpreter leave the dugout to join them on the mound without it counting as a visit from the manager/coach? or would it count as one of the official visits? seems like it could be abused and sosh could send him out there with messages. anyone know?

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think any personnel going to the mound - be it catcher, Nagy, Simmons, Sosh - counts as a mound visit. 

I think the only time it doesn't count is in event of an injury

Correct

If I really bend my brain to think about this subject, I end up believing that no interpreter should be allowed to accompany a coach or manager to the mound.

We never had any Spanish interpreters go to the mound when Spanish speakers not knowing English came into the league.

I am fine with it as an Angel fan since it helps the Angels but if he were on another team I would be ticked.  He doesn't speak English?  Too bad!  That's your problem!

If I really bend my brain to think about this subject, I end up believing that no interpreter should be allowed to accompany a coach or manager to the mound.

We never had any Spanish interpreters go to the mound when Spanish speakers not knowing English came into the league.

I am fine with it as an Angel fan since it helps the Angels but if he were on another team I would be ticked.  He doesn't speak English?  Too bad!  That's your problem!

Plus how does the umpire or the other team know that the interpreter is only translating the coach or manager message and not also independently advising Ohtani?

27 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Plus how does the umpire or the other team know that the interpreter is only translating the coach or manager message and not also independently advising Ohtani?

Uh.. wow.

43 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

It's allowed by MLB rules

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Well that took a slightly racist turn.... 

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Obviously

Yeah, I was going to add (had to leave suddenly) that it's been that way for about 5 years, so it would take another vote to change the rule, which will not never happen. It basically allowed teams an extra "coach" on the bench, whether it be a second hitting coach, an interpreter, etc.

3 hours ago, TroutField said:

I'm wondering if there's a team in MLB who doesn't have an infielder who knows Spanish. 

Edited by Lou

The interpreter is allowed any time. Obviously he wouldn’t go out by himself, so it counts as a visit because he’s joined by the catcher and/or pitching coach. 

Where it’s interesting is you are allowed 6 visits in a game, but only 1 per pitcher per inning *from the dugout,* before you have to make a change. 

So, say Nagy goes to talk to Ohtani, bringing Ippei with him. Later in the inning, Maldonado wants to talk to Ohtani. He can bring Ippei, but not Nagy, because then it would be a second visit from the dugout.

Youll also notice that sometimes Maldonado goes out there without Ippei. I asked about that. They say Ohtani can understand enough for a basic talk, and sometimes it’s only to slow him down or give him a break. 

9 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

when do you want me to bring over the tiki torches and noose?

One other exception in the rules that I believe was left in is that in certain situations a catcher can visit the pitcher if the previous pitch resulted in a cross-up, eg. he called for a curveball and got a fastball.  This would presumably be a safety precaution, and subject to umpire discretion.  In this case the visit would not count.

22 minutes ago, tomsred said:

One other exception in the rules that I believe was left in is that in certain situations a catcher can visit the pitcher if the previous pitch resulted in a cross-up, eg. he called for a curveball and got a fastball.  This would presumably be a safety precaution, and subject to umpire discretion.  In this case the visit would not count.

Those count as visits. It's only subject to the ump's discretion if a team is out of visits.