• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

53 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Funny, I saw the box score and wondered the exact same thing. But it would have to be a pretty bad collision to take out two players. 

Adams was a UNC wide receiver recruit. He should be able to take a hit. Maybe Williams got flagged for targeting and was ejected.

6 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Burlington is pretty devoid of talent.

Could be pretty good in 2019 through:  Jackson, Knowles, Adams, Deveaux makes for a potentially great 4/9 of a lineup. 

The 2019 draft should then complete the rebuilding of the farm in year 4, with solid talent at pretty much every level.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Could be pretty good in 2019 through:  Jackson, Knowles, Adams, Deveaux makes for a potentially great 4/9 of a lineup. 

The 2019 draft should then complete the rebuilding of the farm in year 4, with solid talent at pretty much every level.

Unless Deveaux catches fire in the next month, it is hard imagining him starting in Burlington next year. On the other hand, they might want to keep him with that cohort and start him in Burlington and then if he struggles, send him back to extended spring and then AZL/Orem.

That has to be by design. The situations that Walsh and Way have pitched in haven't always been blowouts.

Keeping Ohtani on the roster obviously limits your bench depth, but if you can have someone coming off the bench that also pitches in relief, it creates options, and managers love those.

Eric Chavez is managing the AAA team, and he's made the conscious decision to deploy position players as relievers. 

I don't believe in coincidence. I think he's the next manager and I believe at some point, that's the sort of roster construction and deployment that the Angels will pioneer.

Updates...

• Rengifo: 0-3, BB, SB - his 6th in SLC, but his 41st on the season (55 attempts), Thaiss: 0-4, Rojas: 0-4
  • Bo Way: 2-4, 2B, R, and an IP with 2 K. Walsh played a tiny bit of CF
  • Almonte and Paredes each struck out 2 and allowed a hit in an inning of work
  • Sanger and Justus have both rejoined AA after tearing up IE following a demotion. Sanger: 1-4, HR (5), RBI, BB, K
  • Adell: 1-4, R, BB, K, OF assist (3B from CF)
  • Jeremy Beasley: 4 IP, 3 H, ER, BB, 7 K - in his last 10 starts, he has a 3.30 ERA with 12 BB, 52 K across 51 innings.
  • Marsh: 1-5, 2B, R, 2 RBI, K
  • David MacKinnon, 1-3, RBI, K, and yes, two more walks (80 on the year vs. 90 strikeouts, .404 OBP)
  • Jorge Tavarez continuing a fantastic season. 1.2 IP, H, 2 BB, 3 K - on the season (34 G/68.2 IP Burlington/Inland Empire) he's posted a 2.49 ERA, .233 BAA, only one HR, and struck out 81. That's a HR/9 of 0.1 and a K/9 of 11.3, and it's not out of character. In 97 prior pro innings, he had only allowed two HRs (0.2 HR/9) and struck out 122, a K/9 of 11.7
  • Bernabe Camargo, a '17 28th Rd. pick, has a .323/.421/.452/.873 slash so far in his first 11 A+ games, with 6 walks, 11 strikeouts, and two triples
  • Rivas: 1-4, R, 3B, 2 K, Martinez: 2-4, R, RBI, 2 K
  • Oliver Ortega: 3.1 IP, 3 H, ER, 3 BB, 4 K - don't know much about him, but he's pitched well. 3.61 ERA in 16 G/15 GS, with a .220 BAA, 1.31 WHIP, and 77 K in 67.1 IP
  • Zack Kelly: 2.2 IP, H, BB, 2 K. On the year, 17 G/40 IP (a lot of multi-inning work for our pitchers), a 2.93 ERA, 16 BB, 41 K with a .241 BAA
  • Andrew Wantz: IP, 2 H, 2 BB, K, but zero runs. On the year, he's struck out 41 in 19.2 IP to go with a 1.37 ERA, 12 H, and 13 BB
  • Eduardo del Rosario: 2 IP, 5 K - his last 10 games, he's thrown 16.2 innings, with a 1.62 ERA, .186 BAA, and 29 strikeouts to 7 walks
  • Jeremiah Jackson: 1-3, 2 R, 3B, RBI, BB, E (5)
  • Kevin Maitan: 3-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI - hitting .318 in his last 10 games with 3 walks and only 6 strikeouts in 44 AB
  • D'Shawn Knowles: 1-3, HR (2), 2 RBI, K - left game early, HBP
  • Way back when the Latin signings were scarce, the Angels signed a pitcher name Cristopher Molina. Last night, 5 IP, H, 4 BB, 8 K
    Molina's last 4 games: 19 IP, 3.79 ERA, .159 BAA, 8 walks, 21 strikeouts
  • Trent Deveaux: 1-3, BB, CS
  • Julio de la Cruz has hit his first stateside HR: 1-4, HR, RBI, 3 K - he has a career slash of .222/.336/.373/.709, mostly in DSL, but with 19 doubles, 7 triples, and 8 home runs in 378 AB, mostly as a 17-yr old. Strikes out a ton (131) but also draws a lot of walks (59) and he could be one to watch. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

So, when Bo Way or Jared Walsh come in to pitch, are they in the bullpen warming up, or is it they come from right field or centerfield, throw their eight pitches and it’s game on?

Is it a totally different thing from college baseball?   

I ask because in 1995, CS Fullerton's Mark Kotsay routinely each weekend played the OF and then came in to close in the 9th inning twice on average each weekend.   He was known to be as good of a closer as there was in college back then, and also an All-American OF. 

New thought on Ohtani: Could they convert him into a Tampa Bay like beginning of game reliever, have him pitch say 54 games (once every three games) of the first two innings each game, and still have him be the regular DH?   He would warm up before the game of course.   Limits him to 108 set in advance innings, while still being the regular DH.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is it a totally different thing from college baseball?   

I ask because in 1995, CS Fullerton's Mark Kotsay routinely each weekend played the OF and then came in to close in the 9th inning twice on average each weekend.   He was known to be as good of a closer as there was in college back then, and also an All-American OF. 

New thought on Ohtani: Could they convert him into a Tampa Bay like beginning of game reliever, have him pitch say 54 games (once every three games) of the first two innings each game, and still have him be the regular DH?   He would warm up before the game of course.   Limits him to 108 set in advance innings, while still being the regular DH.

Wouldnt you lose the DH if he pitched and hit?

His third level this season, much like Adell, Rengifo, Canning and Suarez. 

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

If Castillo can get his shit together and Rodriguez can come back healthy we've got some talented young arms in the system.

I'm still hoping we can trade a reliever or two for another pitching prospect.

I wish I could agree, but...I can't. Pitching has been enormously disappointing on the farm this year in my opinion. 

Almost any reliever with good numbers hit the wall, hard, when they hit SLC if not Mobile.

Duensing, Rivera, and Rodriguez all stepped backwards - Rodriguez of course has been injured, but he really needed a good campaign as much as a healthy one.  Soriano has looked decent.

Canning and Suarez, and likely now Sandoval, have all been phenomenal and moved quickly, but there are still some concerns about their ceilings and you're seeing a little bit of struggle in AAA. That's not to say it's a bad thing, look at Barria, but when you look into other deep farms you'll see they have a half-dozen similar arms - and in some cases like ATL, SDP, a half-dozen better arms still.

Then we have another half-dozen Gatto types, but they could be no better than McGuire/Morris types in the end.

There's a ton of intriguing guys in the lower levels still, especially relievers, and Eppler and Co. have done a phenomenal job converting pitchers' roles and finding diamonds in the rough, so there is some hope, but overall, the pitching has been a letdown for me this year.

Just now, totdprods said:

I wish I could agree, but...I can't. Pitching has been enormously disappointing on the farm this year in my opinion. 

Almost any reliever with good numbers hit the wall, hard, when they hit SLC if not Mobile.

Duensing, Rivera, and Rodriguez all stepped backwards - Rodriguez of course has been injured, but he really needed a good campaign as much as a healthy one.  Soriano has looked decent.

Canning and Suarez, and likely now Sandoval, have all been phenomenal and moved quickly, but there are still some concerns about their ceilings and you're seeing a little bit of struggle in AAA. That's not to say it's a bad thing, look at Barria, but when you look into other deep farms you'll see they have a half-dozen similar arms - and in some cases like ATL, SDP, a half-dozen better arms still.

Then we have another half-dozen Gatto types, but they could be no better than McGuire/Morris types in the end.

There's a ton of intriguing guys in the lower levels still, especially relievers, and Eppler and Co. have done a phenomenal job converting pitchers' roles and finding diamonds in the rough, so there is some hope, but overall, the pitching has been a letdown for me this year.

Oh we absolutely have a weak farm when it comes to pitching. But I do think we have a lot of upside there. Canning is really the only 1-2 type (and even that is being generous), but Suarez and Sandoval appear to have #3 ceilings. Soriano is possibly in the same boat. Castillo is probably a 4 starter at best.

We just need some of the younger guys to break out in the next couple years. I also think we need to make a trade or two in the off-season. Obviously we need help at the big league level but we also need pitching in the farm. 

I think the best-case scenario is that the pitching talent really starts actualizing next year, like the hitting did this year. But I agree with @totdprods that it has been rather disappointing this year. This is why I've said that our farm is really almost two systems: the hitters who rank close to the top 5 in the majors as a group, and the pitchers who are more in the 20-25ish range. Hopefully next year we'll see the hitters consolidate as #5ish and the pitchers move up into the #15ish range...the talent is there, but we need to start seeing some of the Soriano/Rivera/C-Rod types start showing more.

I hope the group of pitchers chosen in rounds 3-13, along with the recent Latin American additions, helps to rebuild the pitching depth in this org.   Maybe another draft like that one next June gets it done ultimately? 

It does seem like Billy's amateur scouts are doing a better job of scouting position players?