• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

The meme shows Nick Saban ignoring his starting QB Jalen Hurts, now that the other QB won the nat’l title game.

Just like the other meme shows Dip*ssy ignoring his top 100 prospect and instead paying attention to the rental player.

You guys lost me at football.

Anyone watched D'Shawn Knowles yet? He seems to have sneaky potential. I know he's only played three games, but a nice performance so far: 4 hits in 8 at bats, 2 doubles, 2 stolen bases, and best of all, 4 walks.

The Angels may have two trios of stud outfielders in the future:

Adell-Trout-Marsh

Knowles-Deveaux-Adams

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Anyone watched D'Shawn Knowles yet? He seems to have sneaky potential. I know he's only played three games, but a nice performance so far: 4 hits in 8 at bats, 2 doubles, 2 stolen bases, and best of all, 4 walks.

The Angels may have two trios of stud outfielders in the future:

Adell-Trout-Marsh

Knowles-Deveaux-Adams

Knowles is said to have gap power and is a "plus" defender in CF. Also a clubhouse favorite, the organization likes the intangibles.

On 6/22/2018 at 4:39 PM, totdprods said:

When will Baldoquin be Rule V eligible?

I think I've seen that Ward and Suarez will be eligible this coming offseason, anyone know of anybody else worth keeping tabs on? Joe Gatto? Jared Walsh?

Answering my own question...

According to https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-los-angeles-angels/, the following will need to be added to the 40-man in December or they'll be exposed in the Rule V draft:
Pitchers
Jose Suarez
Luis Pena
Joe Gatto 
Connor Lillis-White
Adam Hofacket
Nathan Bates
Nate Bertness
Travis Herrin

Position Players
Taylor Ward
Jared Walsh
Luis Rengifo
Brendon Sanger
Roberto Baldoquin
Leonardo Rivas
Julio Garcia
Gleyvin Pineda

If that list is accurate, yowsers, a lot of interesting prospects are on the block - Walsh, Rivas, Pena, Gatto. As mentioned before, the odds of Suarez being added before the season is out seem pretty strong, particularly in September. Ward as well. Rengifo may wind up in AAA before long and also a potential September call-up. Rengifo has effectively replaced Rivas' flightpath. 

Would have to think the Angels would try to prioritize guys like Walsh, Pena, Rivas, and Gatto in trade talks, especially rebuilding teams like Kansas City, Chicago, Miami, Baltimore, etc. to try and get the most of them while they have them in system.

Eligible 2019 offseason: Thaiss, Jones, Rojas, Lund

5 minutes ago, wopphil said:

You'd think at least five or six of these guys would be added. But there are also lots of guys currently on the 40-man who will be easy to part ways with, clearing up lots of space.

It also sort of paves the way for Eppler to go with a course where he doesn't stick with his usual routine of stocking up on stopgap vets. I think we'll either see the Halos part with a good number of prospects for long-term trade pieces, or a little clearing of the house to make way for youth on the 40-man. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

According to https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-los-angeles-angels/, the following will need to be added to the 40-man in December or they'll be exposed in the Rule V draft:
Pitchers
Jose Suarez
Luis Pena
Joe Gatto 
Connor Lillis-White
Adam Hofacket
Nathan Bates
Nate Bertness
Travis Herrin

Position Players
Taylor Ward
Jared Walsh
Luis Rengifo
Brendon Sanger
Roberto Baldoquin
Leonardo Rivas
Julio Garcia
Gleyvin Pineda

If that list is accurate, yowsers, a lot of interesting prospects are on the block - Walsh, Rivas, Pena, Gatto. As mentioned before, the odds of Suarez being added before the season is out seem pretty strong, particularly in September. Ward as well. Rengifo may wind up in AAA before long and also a potential September call-up. Rengifo has effectively replaced Rivas' flightpath. 

Would have to think the Angels would try to prioritize guys like Walsh, Pena, Rivas, and Gatto in trade talks, especially rebuilding teams like Kansas City, Chicago, Miami, Baltimore, etc. to try and get the most of them while they have them in system.

thanks for this.  

It's mostly about risk right?  no team is going to camp Rivas on their roster for a year.  Rengifo, Ward, Suarez, Pena are no brainers.  Walsh, Gatto and Baldoquin are the wild cards.  I could easily see them adding Baldoquin because he a team could select him as a util.  Walsh kinda reminds me of  a Ji-Man Choi type.  I think Gatto would get snagged as a pen arm pretty quick like.  

I see a fair amount of 40 man room available.  Blash, Fontana, Cowart, Paredes, Almonte, Castillo, Bridwell, Marte etc. plus a bunch of free agents in kinsler, valbuena, johnson, rivera, young, wood, richards, maldonado, and a couple guys that will stay on the 60 day dl.  

The roster is going to turn over a ton again this winter.  damn.  

30 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

thanks for this.  

It's mostly about risk right?  no team is going to camp Rivas on their roster for a year.  Rengifo, Ward, Suarez, Pena are no brainers.  Walsh, Gatto and Baldoquin are the wild cards.  I could easily see them adding Baldoquin because he a team could select him as a util.  Walsh kinda reminds me of  a Ji-Man Choi type.  I think Gatto would get snagged as a pen arm pretty quick like.  

I see a fair amount of 40 man room available.  Blash, Fontana, Cowart, Paredes, Almonte, Castillo, Bridwell, Marte etc. plus a bunch of free agents in kinsler, valbuena, johnson, rivera, young, wood, richards, maldonado, and a couple guys that will stay on the 60 day dl.  

Not so sure you can make that claim on Baldoquin and not Rivas. He can switch hit, has some speed, can take a walk, and play multiple positions. Can't really envision which team would have that need this early in year, but either strike me as an option for a team's UT IF on the bench. Walsh was the quintessential Rule V pick a decade ago, not sure now. Could still see a cellar dweller throw him at 1B for two months and see what happens.

Guys on the 60-day have to be added back to 40 before Rule V draft, I think. The only two I wouldn't give up on of those you listed would be Almonte or Bridwell - Almonte is obviously treading Vicente Campos-water, but seems like he may be a little more healthy and a little better. Bridwell still hasn't been rocked by a team not the Athletics. 

That looming roster turnover has me interested to see what Epple does. We actually have some young players worth deferring playing time to that'll take up some 25/40 space. Will he roll with them or will he trade some quantity away to make use and mix and match still?  Guys like Pena, Rivas, and Walsh (even Ward, Suarez, and Rengifo if you think they're playing over their abilities and just having really good years) make a little more sense in rental deals now. Could be a real active deadline and winter with some surprises.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

thanks for this.  

I hope this coming off-season is where Eppler’s long term plan finally starts to come to fruition.   The starting pitchers will have put in pretty much a full year, aside from Ohtani.   The riff raff will have been minimized a lot more through being DFA’d.    Finally, promotions are forthcoming for some rock solid prospects between now and September 2019.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Not so sure you can make that claim on Baldoquin and not Rivas. He can switch hit, has some speed, can take a walk, and play multiple positions. Can't really envision which team would have that need this early in year, but either strike me as an option for a team's UT IF on the bench. Walsh was the quintessential Rule V pick a decade ago, not sure now. Could still see a cellar dweller throw him at 1B for two months and see what happens.

Guys on the 60-day have to be added back to 40 before Rule V draft, I think. The only two I wouldn't give up on of those you listed would be Almonte or Bridwell - Almonte is obviously treading Vicente Campos-water, but seems like he may be a little more healthy and a little better. Bridwell still hasn't been rocked by a team not the Athletics. 

That looming roster turnover has me interested to see what Epple does. We actually have some young players worth deferring playing time to that'll take up some 25/40 space. Will he roll with them or will he trade some quantity away to make use and mix and match still?  Guys like Pena, Rivas, and Walsh (even Ward, Suarez, and Rengifo if you think they're playing over their abilities and just having really good years) make a little more sense in rental deals now. Could be a real active deadline and winter with some surprises.

I just can't imagine the Halos worrying about protecting a guy hitting .225 in low A.  Rivas is really struggling this year.  Baldoquin is now at AA and can play very good SS.  Big difference between the two.  

Bridwell has been rocked at AAA.  Almonte is likely expendable.  But I could see both of them on the 40 man if there's room.  

I like Rivas and think he'll be fine and at the very least a quality utility infielder. But I really wouldn't worry about protecting him on the 40-man. As others have noted, the team that claimed him would have to use a spot on the 25-man roster for a whole season. Rivas really needs at least a couple more years of minor league development, so that team would be negatively impacting his future.

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

Pitchers
Jose Suarez
Luis Pena
Joe Gatto 
Connor Lillis-White
Adam Hofacket
Nathan Bates
Nate Bertness
Travis Herrin

Position Players
Taylor Ward
Jared Walsh
Luis Rengifo
Brendon Sanger
Roberto Baldoquin
Leonardo Rivas
Julio Garcia
Gleyvin Pineda

I guess it's a good thing the Angels have so much dead weight on the 40 man.

I count anywhere between 7-10 of those guys that need to be added.

As far as cutting the fat, Jesus Castillo (if the velo is down), Parker Bridwell, Hansel Robles, Blake Wood, Nolan Fontana, Jefry Marte, Jabari Blash, Akeel Morris, Deck McGuire, Miguel Almonte, one of our catchers....

As much progress as the Angels have made in the past few years, it really isn't normal to have so many replaceable players on the 40 man. It kind of shows that as an organization, we're still recovering from the Dipoto purge.

Adell through today:

A: 25 games, .326/.398/.611, 6 HR, 11-26 bb-k, 4-1 sb-cs

A+: 29 games, .320/.356/.616, 9 HR, 6-34 bb-k, 7-0 sb-cs

Total: 54 games, .323/.375/.614, 15 HR, 17-60 bb-k, 11-1 sb-cs

Amazing consistency so far. The thing that stands out most is the drop in an already weak walk rate. Clearly he needs to work on being more selective, but it isn't like he's struggling doing what he's doing. He's only 19 and hopefully his walk rate will rise steadily; once he gets to Anaheim, he'll have the best mentor possible.

Anyhow, there isn't a rush but there's also no reason to hold him back. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Angels promote Adell to AA Mobile after the ASB - assuming he keeps doing what he's doing. 

I will add that I do really hope that Adell develops some plate discipline while still in the minors. One commonality among a lot of failed top hitting prospects is a lack of plate discipline. Think of some of the recent names: Yoan Moncada is still struggling, Byron Buxton hasn't developed as hope (the original Brown Trout), Dominic Brown is evidently playing in Mexico, etc. Going back further: Delmon Young comes to mind.

I haven't done the research, but I'm guessing there's significan correlation between plate discipline in the minors and success in the majors. I'm not saying that Adell can't be a star who walks 40-50 times a year, just that his chances of being a star or superstar go up relative to the amount of walks he takes.