• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pressure Cooker Corned Beef

I tried making corned beef in the past much to everyone's disgust except for the dog that appreciated a chew toy. It sucked until about a month ago when I decided to give the pressure cooker a shot at it.

I only used a pressure cooker once before to try and finish a smoked corned beef and all it did was make it a slightly less dense chew toy for the dog. At the price for beef I knew I had to get better. So I read the internet and took matters into my own hands when it came to flavors.

You can buy a pre brined piece of brisket in just about any store. They sell them in 3 to 4 lb packages which 30% of that wieght is water and they even print that on the label. So doing the math a 3 lb bag is only 2 lbs of actual meat but the price isn't discounted for that water. More bang for your buck is hit Costco and pick up a tip and brine it yourself, then come back to this thread in three weeks.

For those buying the pre brined just tear it open and rinse off the meat thouroughly otherwise you are cooking a pet lick which the dog will love almost as much as the chew toy version. After the rinse drop it in the pressure cooker. Take the little packet of spices and throw that in the trash, we will get to that later.

Here's where it gets complicated. You add 14 oz of beef stock. One bottle of a German Pilsner. Don't get cute and used your favorite spiced IPA, the meat will come out tasting like shit and the dog won't even eat it. Keep it simple, Grolsch works well or any other actual Pilsner.

Now that the beer snobs have given up, to this mixture you add four large peeled and crushed cloves of garlic, two bay leaves and a tablespoon and a half of this goodness. It's the replacement for the crappy spice package, you can find them in German Delis or markets or the internet.

IMG_20180307_081316.jpg

Seal up the pressure cooker and plop it on the stove on high until it starts releasing steam then turn the heat down to low and start the timer. For the basic 3 lb bag of beef (about 2lbs of meat) you will let it cook for about 60 minutes. While it's cooking it should be gently releasing a little steam, if it stops turn the heat up a little, if it is streaming out turn it down. Once the time is up turn off the heat and let it self depressurize which takes ten to twenty minutes.

Drain and plate the meat cutting it across the grain. I made my wife a sandwich on a good rye bread with very little mustard and she gobbled it down, the dog got nothing. The next day I come home from work and she has a guilty look and the corned beef was gone. It was that good.

Edited by Blarg

My wife grew up in a Jewish household and her Mother butchered corned beef so Dad would take them to the better Delis in the area. This included Lindell's, Cantors, Art's and a long list of others. Together we've been to several and she says this is pretty damn good and when is the next batch? I'm thinking about three weeks since it's cheaper by a lot to brine it yourself.

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

My wife grew up in a Jewish household and her Mother butchered corned beef so Dad would take them to the better Delis in the area. This included Lindell's, Cantors, Art's and a long list of others. Together we've been to several and she says this is pretty damn good and when is the next batch? I'm thinking about three weeks since it's cheaper by a lot to brine it yourself.

I haven't tried that (self brine)...and then always forget until it's too late (for St. Patrick's Day). 

I did try a Sous Vide version last year, cooked it 24 hours...wife liked it more than I did....texture was a little off for me.

29 minutes ago, Tank said:

i've tried both corned beef and pastrami. i liked the corned beef better.

They actually let you educate the future leaders* of our country?  

*I say this knowing you don't teach at as public school 

When it comes to St. Patrick's Day I try not to over think it.  I just buy one of these at Stater Bros. It's very important to get the Flat cut, your other option is the Point cut which is inferior but less costly. Just follow the package directions and you'll be good to go. Last 30 minutes add your cut-up potatoes and carrots. Last 15 minutes add your wedges of cabbage. Serve with mustard and Guinness. Enjoy!

Pro tip: use an electric carving knife to slice, same as you would with a BBQ brisket.

6994a767-f727-4efe-9d56-cbb32da66f34_1.8