• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angel Stadium to have full protective netting behind dugouts

Chuck

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I really don’t understand the other side of the net argument.  If you don’t see the danger sitting beyond third base then you simply don’t want to see it.  

I agree with this. The danger is real. Every time I hear Gubi or Victor mention exit velocity it reminds me that anyone could be be momentarily distracted and get nailed by a line drive traveling at a high rate of speed. Assuming that everyone is expected to watch every pitch thoroughly and react quickly enough to get out of the way is delusional. 

24 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

541 is on the other side of the net... 

The game may be marginally safer but at the cost of a worse product and fan experience.

people have been viewing the game from behind a net for a long long time.  

how is the 'fan experience' argument even a real thing.  

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's like everything else. Some people see the change as progress, others see it as a decline.

Will baseball be better off with nets?

I'm leaning toward "no" but we'll see.

People born today will know nothing other than nets at baseball games.

And that's unfortunate.

Hockey arenas should remove all of the plexiglass behind the goal tenders. Catching a puck is exciting. 

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I went to Wrigley and had the opportunity to spend a few bucks on seats.  Available to me we’re seats right next to the Angels dugout in what would be like the old camera well area on the field level.  The deciding factor was no net so we didn’t sit there. 

Weird.

For me, going forward, I'll want to know if the seats I buy have a view obstructed by nets, in which case I won't buy them.

That's just me though, an old dinosaur, resistant to change.

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

people have been viewing the game from behind a net for a long long time.  

how is the 'fan experience' argument even a real thing.  

You don’t see any issues with putting a net between the fans and the players along the entire length of the field? Foul balls, souvenirs and autographs are one of the core aspects of a baseball game that puts it apart from other sports. Having your kid go say hi to Mike Trout through a net isn’t the same as handing him a ball and a pen asking for an autograph and interacting physically. I guess people disagree but to me that is a huge loss to the game.

3 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

I know a guy who ate a puck sitting in seats above center ice. Should they net the whole rink? 

It’s my opinion that extended protective netting to enhance safety for the fans should be installed at all stadiums. More the better. 

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

You don’t see any issues with putting a net between the fans and the players along the entire length of the field? Foul balls, souvenirs and autographs are one of the core aspects of a baseball game that puts it apart from other sports. Having your kid go say hi to Mike Trout through a net isn’t the same as handing him a ball and a pen asking for an autograph and interacting physically. I guess people disagree but to me that is a huge loss to the game.

Well maybe they can have retractable nets that deploy right before the first pitch. That way, the national anthem and other pre-game ceremonies can be viewed unobstructed.

Just now, Jay said:

You're just saying that so you can rehabilitate your reputation with the nutswingers.

No I truly really believe that safety should be a priority. The nutswingers know what my opinions are about other stuff. They can torch me all they want and I still respect them as fellow angelswin posters. I no longer take any of this seriously. 

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

When you talk about data and the improbability of dodging a 110 mph ball off the bat you are taking all responsibility off of the fan and putting it on bad luck. 

I can only speak for myself, but in my daily life I have zero opportunities to deal with anything traveling 100+ mph and successfully dodging it. I don’t see how that is my responsibility alone at a Major League Baseball game, whether I’m yakking with friends and family or paying dutiful attention to each and every pitch. I’m athletic, but getting out of the way of a screaming liner headed right at me may not be something I can do in an instant. I shudder to think of how people around me who are less athletic than me or caught up in a conversation or dealing with their very young fidgety child would react.

why anyone would be against making the fan experience safer boggles my mind.

9 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I agree that needs to be figured out but it seems raising and lower a net shouldn't be a huge technological stretch.  

15 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I’m willing to bet that most players would welcome more netting to help prevent injuring fans and actually reduce the daily demand of interacting with autograph seekers. 

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well maybe they can have retractable nets that deploy right before the first pitch. 

That would be my solution. Kids, fans, and players would still be able to interact before the game without any issue from the netting.

Someone posted a picture or video of a retractable net along the lines at a minor league field.   If a Cal League team can do it, my guess is MLB can figure it out.   If you’re worried about fans getting foul balls that’s an easy fix.  Every ball that hits the net gets tossed into the stands.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If you’re worried about fans getting foul balls that’s an easy fix.  Every ball that hits the net gets tossed into the stands.  

Nope, they have to ban that too. We can have people tossing balls into the stands after Josh Hamilton killed that guy. It’s just too dangerous. Think of the childrenz Strad.

19 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Nope, they have to ban that too. We can have people tossing balls into the stands after Josh Hamilton killed that guy. It’s just too dangerous. Think of the childrenz Strad.

I’m too busy thinking of starting a foundation for retarded baseball opinions.   You’ll get the help you need soon.