• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: As market opens, 10 possible infield fits for the Angels

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd be happy bringing Phillips back, but 1) I think we can do better and 2) he's so attached to being back east I think many of us don't think it's likely or he'll overprice himself to stay West, making him even less desirable 

I would bring Kendrick back before Phillips to play second base. Doubt either will be signed. 

Kipnis is the best option at 2B. He's expendable, Won't cost much as long as we take 2 years 30 million, has the best track record of anyone listed here, is a good defender, can hit anywhere in the lineup and is left handed. He's everything we need at 2B.

As for 3B, sign Kendrick. Cheap, won't cost any prospects, is an acceptable 3B, guaranteed offensive production and is a fan favorite.

Improve the offense, keep a solid defensive unit, keep your prospects and don't blow your new financial freedom until a worthwhile deal presents itself.

8 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I’m more concerned with their batting average ... OBP is a fickle stat 

Angels team batting average was a measly .243  ... which translated into a .315 OBP

Astros team batting average was .282 ... which translated into a league leading .346 OBP

You’ll notice the difference between batting averages and OBP is nearly the same between the two teams ... Angels slightly better at .072 vs Astros .064

I conclude the team needs better hitters. 

:burping-emoticon:

4 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Kipnis is the best option at 2B. He's expendable, Won't cost much as long as we take 2 years 30 million, has the best track record of anyone listed here, is a good defender, can hit anywhere in the lineup and is left handed. He's everything we need at 2B.

As for 3B, sign Kendrick. Cheap, won't cost any prospects, is an acceptable 3B, guaranteed offensive production and is a fan favorite.

Improve the offense, keep a solid defensive unit, keep your prospects and don't blow your new financial freedom until a worthwhile deal presents itself.

I believe Howie and Yescobar would be a better fit than what you suggested ... Kipnis struggled last season 

37 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Angels team batting average was a measly .243  ... which translated into a .315 OBP

Astros team batting average was .282 ... which translated into a league leading .346 OBP

You’ll notice the difference between batting averages and OBP is nearly the same between the two teams ... Angels slightly better at .072 vs Astros .064

I conclude the team needs better hitters. 

:burping-emoticon:

The thing that jumps out to me is that Houston hit 52 more home runs than the Angels, and a whopping 95 more doubles. No doubt we closed the difference a little with Upton, but we need a better XBH year from Pujols, Cron, and Calhoun, plus two other players to be determined.  They will always have the edge because of the park difference, but I would like that gap to be more like 20 home runs, and 30 doubles.  Adding Verlander was a nice boost for them, so in effect they have two aces to our one.  I think our bullpen is better overall though, but we need to ensure that it is. 

Keep Cron and let him get consistent ab's for a season. Sign Cozart who I think has actually turned around his approach at the plate (basically doubled his walk rate, which doesn't just happen by chance) and would provide an excellent combo up the middle defensively with Simmons. Let Valbuena and Coward handle third. I would like to see Cowart get a chance as the starter (that infield defense would be ridiculous) but likely it'd be Valbuena. Sign Cobb, Jake Mcgee, and re-sign Petit.

I would not be surprised to see our Opening Day lineup look like this...

Calhoun

Trout 

Upton

Pujols

Simmons

Valbuena

Maldonado

Cowart

Richards

I say this because the slightly larger free agents are all overrated and will all get overpaid. If Eppler is patient he would be better served to wait and invest in next years free agent crop. It also gives him one more year for the farm to develop. 

9 minutes ago, Calzone said:

I would not be surprised to see our Opening Day lineup look this...

Calhoun

Trout 

Upton

Pujols

Simmons

Valbuena

Maldonado

Cowart

Richards

I say this because the slightly larger free agents are all overrated and will all get overpaid. If Eppler is patient he would be better served to wait and invest in next years free agent crop. It also gives him one more year for the farm to develop. 

Wait til next year?  Where can I put some money down that next year you will say all the top free agents will be overrated and overpaid?

24 minutes ago, Calzone said:

I would not be surprised to see our Opening Day lineup look this...

Calhoun

Trout 

Upton

Pujols

Simmons

Valbuena

Maldonado

Cowart

Richards

CCA39CBA-DAAB-4971-87B9-7D310FD90585.jpeg

5 hours ago, SigBaby said:

Keep Cron and let him get consistent ab's for a season. Sign Cozart who I think has actually turned around his approach at the plate (basically doubled his walk rate, which doesn't just happen by chance) and would provide an excellent combo up the middle defensively with Simmons. Let Valbuena and Coward handle third. I would like to see Cowart get a chance as the starter (that infield defense would be ridiculous) but likely it'd be Valbuena. Sign Cobb, Jake Mcgee, and re-sign Petit.

Cozart for a 1-2 year deal for 3B would be decent.

53 minutes ago, Calzone said:

I would not be surprised to see our Opening Day lineup look like this...

Calhoun

Trout 

Upton

Pujols

Simmons

Valbuena

Maldonado

Cowart

Richards

Fletcher has made it clear that the Eppler said moves have to be made for a new 2B and 3B this season.

6 hours ago, SigBaby said:

Zack Cozart’s batting average nearly jump 50 points. Better hitters will usually get pitched around more ... which will result in more walks. 

I like the kid but isn’t he a Shortstop 

35 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Fletcher has made it clear that the Eppler said moves have to be made for a new 2B and 3B this season.

Well we could see a Nunez type move because he can play several positions but I don’t see a Moustakas or Gordon or any of the other 2017 “A” listers. We just acquired Upton.

1 minute ago, Calzone said:

Well we could see a Nunez type move because he can play several positions but I don’t see a Moustakas or Gordon or any of the other 2017 “A” listers. We just acquired Upton.

You should like Gordon more. 3/30 left on his contract. 

But, narratives. 

1 minute ago, Calzone said:

I don't think the Angels need "A listers" to fill these positions.

They could trade for Hernandez for 2B (which makes all the sense in the world).  If they don't do that, they could......

Sign Nunez for 3B and Cozart for 2B which are both upgrades for what they currently have.  They are also both very affordable.  That saves them money which could go towards upgrading 1B with Santana.

I'd prefer to see good upgrades at 3B, 2B and 1B than one huge "name upgrade" at one of those positions with no upgrades at the others.

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

You should like Gordon more. 3/30 left on his contract. 

But, narratives. 

Gordon, a former PED user, isn't worth the prospects the Marlins will want for him.  Speed starts to decline after 30 and former PED users always decline sooner than they usually would.

Maybe. I think they're more concerned about the money. 

Also everyone is assuming his speed will decline magically one season after stealing 60 bags. 

It will likely decline, but if he's healthy I see him stealing another 140 bases over the next 3 years.

37 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Zack Cozart’s batting average nearly jump 50 points. Better hitters will usually get pitched around more ... which will result in more walks. 

I like the kid but isn’t he a Shortstop 

Huh?!?!?

Cozart is one of the best defensive shortstops in all of baseball????