• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is this the new norm for Trout?

I was worried he'd flounder after getting back, but he's pretty much hitting the same--about .330 with a bit less power, although his HR seem to come in bunches and he might be going on a power binge.

Even if he cools off a bit, he's going to finish around .320/.450/.650 with 35ish HR in 115 games. Is this the new norm for him? I was one of the folks who thought he might have peaked in his early 20s, but now I'm not so sure.

Makes you wonder what trouts numbers would be if he hadnt gotten hurt. 

How many guys have there been like him? Where hes the clear cut best player, for 5 years now. Harper, mcab, and a few others are/were right alongside him. But usually (at least it seems) that even the best guys have more competition, years where someone else was better, but the end up overall dominant. Pujols in his prime maybe, but arod, griffey, bonds etc were there. 

32 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Makes you wonder what trouts numbers would be if he hadnt gotten hurt. 

How many guys have there been like him? Where hes the clear cut best player, for 5 years now. Harper, mcab, and a few others are/were right alongside him. But usually (at least it seems) that even the best guys have more competition, years where someone else was better, but the end up overall dominant. Pujols in his prime maybe, but arod, griffey, bonds etc were there. 

To speculate about the first, let's say he cooled off a bit but not too much. He missed almost 40 games, so I'd project him out to about .330/.450/.670 with 33 HR and 80+ RBI and Runs, and 7 fWAR.

As to the second, I think you're right - the only real comps over the last 30 years or so are Pujols, A-Rod, Bonds, and maybe Griffey. But of those guys, I'm not sure any was the clear cut best player in the game for six years in a row, let alone their first six. Barring major injury, he's going to reach 100 fWAR sometime in his early 30s, a threshold only 20 position players had surpassed. Barring catastrophic (Pujolsian) decline, he's going to finish his career with 120+ fWAR.

Trout's best statistical comp is Mantle, who finished with 112.3 career fWAR, but whose career was shortened by alcoholism, a problem Trout doesn't have. Mantle was a better player in his 20s than Mays, but Mays had his best years in his 30s and finished with 149.9 fWAR. But I think you start with Mantle and adjust for greater health and longevity and you end up with 130+ career fWAR. 

47 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Harper Butthurt, Exhibit A. 

Harper had a breakout year in 2015, struggled in 2016, and is back to elite level again this year. He may be less consistent than Trout, but he's clearly a superstar and will give great performances most years.

why is it butthurt?  Harper is a superstar.  He's on a HOF trajectory.  

Comparing the two is apples and oranges right now.  

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Harper Butthurt, Exhibit A. 

Harper had a breakout year in 2015, struggled in 2016, and is back to elite level again this year. He may be less consistent than Trout, but he's clearly a superstar and will give great performances most years.

You have to wonder what Trout's numbers would look like playing in Milwaukee with a 118 park factor as opposed to Anaheim at 86. 

10 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

To speculate about the first, let's say he cooled off a bit but not too much. He missed almost 40 games, so I'd project him out to about .330/.450/.670 with 33 HR and 80+ RBI and Runs, and 7 fWAR.

As to the second, I think you're right - the only real comps over the last 30 years or so are Pujols, A-Rod, Bonds, and maybe Griffey. But of those guys, I'm not sure any was the clear cut best player in the game for six years in a row, let alone their first six. Barring major injury, he's going to reach 100 fWAR sometime in his early 30s, a threshold only 20 position players had surpassed. Barring catastrophic (Pujolsian) decline, he's going to finish his career with 120+ fWAR.

Trout's best statistical comp is Mantle, who finished with 112.3 career fWAR, but whose career was shortened by alcoholism, a problem Trout doesn't have. Mantle was a better player in his 20s than Mays, but Mays had his best years in his 30s and finished with 149.9 fWAR. But I think you start with Mantle and adjust for greater health and longevity and you end up with 130+ career fWAR. 

I cant really think of any. Bonds, griffey, arod, etc all at one point or another maybe had the better year than the other guy. But at least as far as i can remember, none were notably "the best" for this long. Almost like kershaw pitching wise.

2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Harper is currently 26th all time in rWAR (assuming he continues his current pace...then he'll end in the 21-24 range)

Really, for his age or years of service right? He is no where near all time leaders. Stanton hits HR at higher pace. Don't get me wrong he is a good player, but his BA is .270 except for 2 years. He is not consistent enough. As far as his HR go Trumbo has been just as likely to match him on a yearly basis and Trumbo is no Super Star. Harper is a great player but isn't consistent. I would love him to be an Angel.

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

why is it butthurt?  Harper is a superstar.  He's on a HOF trajectory.  

Comparing the two is apples and oranges right now.  

The implication that Harper isn't great because he's not Trout is butthurt, or looking for flaws in what Harper has done so far. People seem to forget that Trout's career start is unprecedented in major league history, at least going back to Mantle and then Cobb - those are the only two guys where similarly as good through age 25 (due to Trout's injury he won't pass Cobb for age 25 fWAR, but he will pass Mantle and be #2).

Harper is a douche, but he is scary good with the bat. He's one of the four or five best players in the game right now.