• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chris Iannetta Defensive Metrics

EOB9 and I were discussing Iannetta as a defensive catcher last night. I just wanted to put these stats out there to support that I believe Iannetta is an average-below average defensive catcher. Catchers being compared had over 600 innings caught over the course of last season and the beginning of this season. Iannetta has caught 839 innings while with the Angels over this period. There were 37 catchers that met the criteria. Stats were compiled using Fan Graphs at this link: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=600&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=10,d

rSB (Stolen Base Runs Saved measures how many “runs” a catcher contributes to their team by throwing out runners and preventing runners from attempting steals in the first place): 32/37, 0 is considered league average and Iannetta is a -3.0

RPP (Passed Pitch Runs (RPP) calculates the number of runs above / below average a catcher is at blocking pitches): 24/37, Again, 0 is league average and Iannetta is a -1.0

CPP (Calculated passed pitches measures how many passed balls a catcher should have allowed based on his pitches seen): 33/37, Obviously, this stat is a little bit more subjective based on the determination of quality of pitches received and also number of pitches received. 

DRS (Defensive runs saved rates individual players as above or below average on defense): 30/37, Iannetta is a -3 while the leader, Yadier Molina, is +15. 

Based on these numbers he is actually worse than I would have thought. I don't know how people feel about advanced statistics, but based on these numbers, saying Iannetta is a good defensive catcher seems farfetched. 

I dont agree with some of these stats. Well not really the stats themselves but rather what the represent.  Some stolen bases and such have to be put on the pitcher also. For example, if a runner takes off before the pitcher star goes to the plate, the chance of a catcher catching the base runner  goes down. And, if the pitcher tosses a dime to the next batter and he crushes it, all of a sudden one of the runs gets put on the catcher for not throwing out the base runner. 

I'm not saying Ianetta is great catcher by any means, I'm just saying calculating stats the these are difficult to do and may not always reflect the true story.

I dont agree with some of these stats. Well not really the stats themselves but rather what the represent.  Some stolen bases and such have to be put on the pitcher also. For example, if a runner takes off before the pitcher star goes to the plate, the chance of a catcher catching the base runner  goes down. And, if the pitcher tosses a dime to the next batter and he crushes it, all of a sudden one of the runs gets put on the catcher for not throwing out the base runner. 

I'm not saying Ianetta is great catcher by any means, I'm just saying calculating stats the these are difficult to do and may not always reflect the true story.

Definitely valid concerns and I will agree that a lot of these "advanced stats" still have a ways to go, but they still have some merit where applicable. 

I am not sure we have enough info to make a determination.  Yes, blocking balls and throwing out runners are obvious things to track, but to me play a less important role than pitch calling and the ability as a receiver.  Not sure if there are any decent metrics for that. 

I think defensive metrics are useful(although they certainly do have their flaws), but I don't know that they're quite at the point of accurately quantifying catcher D.

I wouldn't peg Iannetta as much more than average give or take a little, though.

I think he's MLB average. That's still a good catcher which was the contention.

And that was really my only point,, which was that he's been good for us. "Good" being relative. He's crucial for this team considering our other options at catcher.

Of course, the greater point was responding to those who actually wanted to blame Scioscia for Congers fielding last night. I asked why Scioscias impact on Conger seems to have caused him to be a bad fielder, an erroneous argument, while Ianettabseems immune.