• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your Off Season Wish List

The Angels are about to shed a very large junk of salary, about $75 million, after this season.  I don't expect Arte to spend it all when next years free agent class is so strong.  That being said, who would you like to see the Angels sign to fill the obvious holes and why?  

Would you sign Martinez and roll with Cron at first?  

Would you sign Hosmer and find a LF on the cheap?  

Would you sign Moustakas and play Cowart at 2nd?

Would you trade for Gordon, play Cowart at 3rd?  

Would you sign Darvish, Arrieta?

I think they can afford to sign at least two of the bigger free agents.  

Personally I'd sign Martinez and trade for a 2nd baseman.  I would love a front of the rotation starter like Darvish, I just see our upside with starting pitching being so much greater than our upside at any other position.  

If I had to guess I would guess if Arte was going to  beeak the bank on any one player it would've be better be on DARVISH for marketing and attendance reasons. 

I wouldn't pursue a first baseman. Between Pujols, Cron and Valbuena we have too many roster spots tied to first. 

I would go after a left fielder. Depending upon how Maybin finishes and what he would cost, it might be best to just bring him back (though I'd love to get Martinez). 

I'd throw the bank at Darvish. 

I'd try to trade for a league average third baseman or second baseman. I'd then buy a free agent to cover the position we didn't trade for.

And I'd bring in outside relief help. Maybe even just bring back Petit and/or Norris.

Two equally pressing needs:

Left-handed power hitter to hit after Trout.  I don't care what position he plays.  The Angels certainly have plenty of positional "vacancies" to find a home for him.

A stable, #2 or better level starting pitcher that is a good bet to log 180 innings.

If they can do those two things, the "backfill" bodies at a couple of other positions may be adequate enough to not kill the team.

They could win 95 games by adding those two pieces.

If we spend big on a starter and one position player then it almost has to be a left fielder.  We have Cron and Cowart, but we have zero major league options for left field right now.  

We could roll the dice on getting some starters back healthy.  Then you ask, after left field what's the biggest area of need.  Probably 2nd base.  

2 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

My wish is that they get rid of the dead weight, fill all the holes  long term, and that the team has everyone healthy and performing their best for the whole year.

I think the dead weight on the pitching staff will be gone.  We will still have Valbuena and an over paid Albert. 

Sign both Moustakas and Hosmer, let Cowart and Fletcher battle it out for the starting 2B job (whoever loses is our utility guy), Puello to LF. Sign Maybin on the cheap to be our insurance OF, 4th OF in case Puello doesn't workout. 

If Heaney,  Richards and Skaggs are healthy and log innings this season,  do nothing else.

RF Calhoun 

SS Simmons

CF Trout

1B Hosmer

DH Pujols 

3B Moustakas 

C Maldonado 

2B Cowart

LF Puello

-

SP Richards

SP Heaney

SP Skaggs

SP Meyer 

SP Shoemaker, Ramirez, N. Smith, Bridwell, Barria, Long, Morales, Scribner. Lots of options! 

To fix the hitting, pitching and baseball playing in general. And as has become the norm, there's typically a pretty size able gap between what I think the Angels should do and what they actually do. 

If it were me,

1. Cowart would be at 3B next year - His run prevention at the hot corner cannot be overestimated.

2. JD Martinez in LF - The Angels need a middle of the order bat that hits for average, power and gets on base behind Trout. In s year when Hermosillo is ready, Martinez can move to 1B or God willing DH if Albert confronts reality. 

3. Trade for Cesar Hernandez at 2B - He won't cost as much as Dee Gordon, and would strength the bottom of our lineup, and occasionally fill in at leadoff.

4. Thinking outside the box, I'd re-sign Escobar to play 1B. My reasoning is simple. Escobar gives this team what it needs, a top of the order hitter that gets on base and can drive the ball. He sucks defensively, so I take away the defense. Plus he's on a short contract which won't block someone like Hermosillo or Thaiss from playing.

1B Escobar CF Trout LF Martinez, RF Calhoun DH Pujols SS Simmons 2B Hernandez C Maldonado 3B Cowart - in that order.

As for what the Angels will actually do, this is very preliminary, but I'm guessing it'll be Cowart 2B (pretty much all he's played in AAA), Valbuena/Cron at 1B, Moustakas at 3B and Maybin again in LF. As much as I like Eppler, I learned from Dipoto, Reagins and Stoneman that GM's are creatures of habit. They'll stick to the same philosophy even if it doesn't work because they're convinced they're right. Kind of like a politician I suppose. 

Just because the team has money to spend doesn't mean they should spend. I don't see any of the big free agent names as worth breaking the bank over. I expect that Eppler will focus on bargains and clean peanuts, and maybe only go with one bigger contract, if that at all.

I've talked endlessly about various options and approaches, so won't clog the thread with more, but the bottom line for me is avoiding huge contracts, especially ones that clog prospect-rich positions like the OF. Sign a stop-gap for LF, not a 5+ year contract and/or future DH like Martinez. Or go after someone like Brandon Belt, who can slot in at 1B or move to LF if Thaiss develops as hoped.

I'm also happy offering Maybin a one year deal and using Puello as a backup, then trading Maybin at the deadline next year if Hermosillo is ready.

I kind of like the idea of going with Cowart/Valbuena at 3B, and then going after a longer term solution at 2B like Cesar Hernandez. On the other hand, I'd also be Ok with giving Fletcher a shot as a 2-3 year stop-gap until Leonardo Rivas is ready.

As far as pitching goes, I want to see how Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, Trope and Shoe look this year before having an opinion about whether the team should sign a starter. Maybe they don't need any, or maybe they need two or three. Who knows.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

To fix the hitting, pitching and baseball playing in general. And as has become the norm, there's typically a pretty size able gap between what I think the Angels should do and what they actually do. 

If it were me,

1. Cowart would be at 3B next year - His run prevention at the hot corner cannot be overestimated.

2. JD Martinez in LF - The Angels need a middle of the order bat that hits for average, power and gets on base behind Trout. In s year when Hermosillo is ready, Martinez can move to 1B or God willing DH if Albert confronts reality. 

3. Trade for Cesar Hernandez at 2B - He won't cost as much as Dee Gordon, and would strength the bottom of our lineup, and occasionally fill in at leadoff.

4. Thinking outside the box, I'd re-sign Escobar to play 1B. My reasoning is simple. Escobar gives this team what it needs, a top of the order hitter that gets on base and can drive the ball. He sucks defensively, so I take away the defense. Plus he's on a short contract which won't block someone like Hermosillo or Thaiss from playing.

1B Escobar CF Trout LF Martinez, RF Calhoun DH Pujols SS Simmons 2B Hernandez C Maldonado 3B Cowart - in that order.

As for what the Angels will actually do, this is very preliminary, but I'm guessing it'll be Cowart 2B (pretty much all he's played in AAA), Valbuena/Cron at 1B, Moustakas at 3B and Maybin again in LF. As much as I like Eppler, I learned from Dipoto, Reagins and Stoneman that GM's are creatures of habit. They'll stick to the same philosophy even if it doesn't work because they're convinced they're right. Kind of like a politician I suppose. 

I've been advocating Escobar at first base for awhile now.  Especially when Marte and Cron were struggling.  

Really hard to say until the deadline comes and goes. I still think we're under-the-radar buyers for a solid, long-term piece like Dee Gordon, and while we may not have any sellable players that'll guarantee a top impact prospect, a David Hernandez for Rob Refsnyder or Bud Norris for Jordan Patterson deal could happen and slot an interesting enough young player into an '18 starting mix with a cheap vet.

As has been covered in another thread, starting pitching is also a significant factor still, but if Heaney, Skaggs, Richards, and Shoemaker are all actually on a mound and throwing within the next month, it could have a major affect on the offseason plans. In fact, if all four of them end the season in the rotation, it frees up dealing one in the offseason. 

People tend to be too picky with regard to free agency. There are no perfect free agents. And in the rare event that happens (like Trout, possibly, or A-Rod when he left Seattle), they cost the value of a franchise to sign.

You can literally make a case against just about any player. Bryce Harper? Injury prone and inconsistent. Nolan Arenado? Coors Field product. Clayton Kershaw? Lots of mileage on his arm, a back injury history, and an increasing home run rate. With that mentality, you can make a case against signing any expensive player. 

The Angels need talent and have little on the farm that will provide immediate help. They therefore must be players in free agency. And they probably need to be big players, given that the team will have glaring holes at third, second, in left, and in the rotation (yes, we have plenty of depth; none of it is particularly impressive).

Let me preface that I think we are better off saving all of our bullets for 2019.  I like the direction our farm system is going and another 1.5 seasons of development will get a whole slew of guys in to AA and above.  It will give us a much better idea of what we've got and if Eppler and co.'s scouting is a good as we've hoped.  I have no problem with them spending some money for next year on a 1 yr stopgap deal for LF.  I also think our best bet is to trade for a 2bman but not one where we are giving up a huge haul unless it's for a long term player like Simmons.  I also think 2018 will be better in terms of injury to our starting pitchers.  We'll get a much better idea of our needs by then.  

I'll start with what I don't want:

Hosmer or any other 1b free agent.  

JD Martinez - he's a dh.  we have a ton of minor league OF depth coming.  He's never play 1b.  

Any large contracts to any player who is over the age of 30 to start 2018.  Especially pitchers.  

I would avoid the innings eater approach for pitchers.  No more Nolasco or Chavez types.  

Now for the things I would consider:  

first off, it's important that we see what we've got in house.  I am trading Maybin, Escobar, Norris and any other player on an expiring contract.  I want to see Cowart at 2b everyday, Valbuena at 3b everyday.  Cron at 1b everyday.  Puello in LF everyday.  I don't expect them all to succeed but it's time to find out if they will.  I would like to see Heaney get some starts.  I hope we'll see Skaggs, Richards and Shoe as well.  I would continue to give starts to Bridwell, JC Ramirez, and Meyer.  I would also like to see Nate Smith get a few starts in september.  I don't think it's necessary to call up Barria or Long as of yet.  But I might bring up Scribner in sept and have a look.  That's 9 starters working in and out with various timelines.  Probably too aggressive to keep guys fresh.  So maybe Smith and Scribner don't get the call.  

So....

Pen - seems like we've got enough holding over even with trading the expiring deals in Pettit, Hernandez and Norris.  Key, Bedrock, Paredes, and Parker are a good base.  I also trust Eppler to fill in the rest and keep them solid.  

SP - Mostly dancing with the girl we brought here.  One under the radar free agent I would consider is Tyler Chatwood.  Not sure he would cost a ton and he's entering his age 28 season.  If not, I would steer clear unless there is one of those interesting end of off season options on a 1yr deal.  

2b - A position that has trade written all over it.  Don't sell the farm unless it's for the right player with a ton of control.  ala Simmons, and frankly, I don't see any players of his caliber being available.  targets:  Harrison, Panik, Castro, Hernandez, Yolmer Sanchez.   Ideally, Cowart comes up soon and looks like our 2bman of the future.   

LF - probably would try for a 1yr deal on a guy like Cargo, Bautista, Granderson.  Maybe a trade.  Upton or Martinez are possibilities but I would likely steer clear

3b - Would love for Valbuena to turn things around and take the spot or for Cowart to show he can hit at the major league level.  But I wouldn't be opposed to Moustakas.

1b - I'm going with the unpopular vote here and giving the job to one of Cron or Valbuena.  Whoever comes around from now through the end of the year.  If they both do, then great.  If only one does, then you've got Moustakas or Cowart as options at 3rd, or if it's Valbuena then you can leave him at 3b and find another 1bman.  Again, I am stop gapping this spot and not committing long term money.   Maybe Santana, Lind or Moreland.  Someone will be available at the end of the off season.

At the end of the day, I don't mind seeing them add some money as long as it's for a younger player like Moustakas or Chatwood or if it's on expiring contracts.  But I think we're still a year away from knowing where we are.   

Until the deadline clears things up, I'll say my offseason wish list is looks like this: 

Priority 1A is finding a lead-off hitter, preferably someone with some speed. 
Priority 1B is finding one additional legitimate power source. 
Priority 1C is finding 180 IP of 3.75 ERA (or better) via FA/trade, pref someone who has already had Tommy John and won't need more than 3 years/$45m or 4/$60m
Priority 2 is finding at least someone league-average for whichever of LF, 3B, 2B, or possibly 1B that isn't filled by those above.
Priority 3 is finding one a veteran reliever to help offer some stability
Priority 4 is the bench needs some speed and defensive versatility - we've seen how much speed helps Scioscia's offensive strategies this season, and I don't suspect we will find elite defense at every position above, so having someone on the bench who can pick it will be a must.
Priority 5 is finding a legitimate lefty-reliever. 

Revised definition of "Dreamers": folks that believe Scioscia will move Pujols down the lineup (where he belongs) if a legit MOTO hitter arrives in Anaheim.  Only way to move Pujols is to change managers.

Martinez is a bad right fielder, wouldn't be any better in LF, and we got an unmovable DH.

Try Cowart @ 2B (preferred)/3B and Cron @ 1B for rest of season.  Use those results to adjust 1B/2B/3B off season procurement strategy. 

Take the rest of the money and move Trouts family/friends to SOCAL.