• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trout Batting Second

While I may not have any statiscal backup for my claim, but it seems to my naked eye that the Angels offense runs a bit more smoothly when Trout is batting second. Like I said, I do not have stats to back this up, and I would encourage anyone with stats that prove or disprove this. 

May be when Maybin is back we can experiment with Trout staying in the two hole and moving Escobar into the 3 spot. Or some other combination. But it just seems that opposing pitchers have an added pressure knowing #27 is coming up after the lead off man. It seems to get pressure going from the get go. Just my two cents. 

I would be ok with him batting leadoff as well. I think it's a great idea to get him as many bats. But the two hole seems ideal, puts pressure on the pitcher and allows the lead off man see better pitches. Also gives Trout a chance to drive a man in and get RBI's. Seems like the best of both worlds in the two hole. 

My line up fully healthy would probably be:

Maybin

Trout

Kole

Albert

Escobar

Simmons

Maldonado

Pennington

i like the lefty up with Trout on first, opens up that side of the field for Kole, with the runner holding him on.  Allows Kole to see more fastballs.  Also blocks the catchers view of Trout taking off.  

Well, your lineup may be four weeks out.

Until then I would like to see

3B Escobar

SS Simmons 

CF Trout

DH Pujols

RF Calhoun

1B Cron

2B Cowart

C Maldonado

LF Revere

And, yes, I know Cowart isn't on the roster but he isn't on the DL so he could be playing and getting some MLB experience.

I'd like to see Simmons as the #2 because he has a high contact rate and can out run a double play. I like his bat control, he would be more likely to put the ball in play towards an infield gap than anyone in the lineup outside of Trout. 

That gives Trout more RBI looks than placing him in the #2 spot. I want my most powerful hitter with the most opportunities to score multiple runs than solo shots. At #2 he has more at bats but fewer chances of having a base runner on.

Blarg's lineup makes a lot of sense.    Escobar has the best OBP in the lineup, as mentioned Simmons is a true #2 hitter with a solid OBP, Trout is Trout, Pujols is the best of the rest, Calhoun has become Cold Calhoun again, Cron >>> Valnobuena, and so on.   Hopefully, Cowart will be back next week.   

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Explain why in the world you would prefer Pennington to play over Cowart.

Do I really need too ... Pennington is a proven better defender at second and proven better hitter.

The timing isn't right at this moment. The team is still batting for a playoff spot incase you haven't noticed. 

I like strads lineup. And with Maybin out. It may be worth trying:

1. Escobar

2. Trout 

3. Simmons 

4. Puljos

5. Cron 

6. Calhoun 

7. Maldonado 

8  Pennington/Franklin

9. Revere/Robinson  

May be flip flop Simmons and Calhoun. But I like Trout at 2. Our offense was getting hot when Trout was batting second before his Injury. 

8 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

This team isn't battling for shit. Pennington has a .614 OPS. If you think Pennington is going to help us get to the playoffs, you're fucking nuts. He hasn't been productive since 2014. Cowart needs to play every day from now until the end of the season. It's getting ridiculous.

Cowart .509 OPS 

45 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Well, your lineup may be four weeks out.

Until then I would like to see

3B Escobar

SS Simmons 

CF Trout

DH Pujols

RF Calhoun

1B Cron

2B Cowart

C Maldonado

LF Revere

And, yes, I know Cowart isn't on the roster but he isn't on the DL so he could be playing and getting some MLB experience.

I'd like to see Simmons as the #2 because he has a high contact rate and can out run a double play. I like his bat control, he would be more likely to put the ball in play towards an infield gap than anyone in the lineup outside of Trout. 

That gives Trout more RBI looks than placing him in the #2 spot. I want my most powerful hitter with the most opportunities to score multiple runs than solo shots. At #2 he has more at bats but fewer chances of having a base runner on.

Blarg, i really like your line up as well.  I obviously like Cowart and think it's imperative we have a better grasp on his abilities before the off season.  If he adjusts well offensively then you don't NEED both a second and third baseman. 

14 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

This team isn't battling for shit. Pennington has a .614 OPS. If you think Pennington is going to help us get to the playoffs, you're fucking nuts. He hasn't been productive since 2014. Cowart needs to play every day from now until the end of the season. It's getting ridiculous.

And Pennington's defense hasn't been all that so far in 2017.   Cowart >>> Pennington, and hopefully up here to stay next week.

And why is Franklin even on this team? 

8 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Writing a lineup card for the Angels is like reaching into a bag with nine turds in it nine times and trying to order the pieces of dung based on which stinks the least.

If you don't like the team then why are you here. You never have a positive take on the players or team.

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

Pennington lifetime OPS over ten years

He has been crap for over ten years. His role is bench player so promoting Cowart is the sensible approach to create a full time player at that position. A role neither Pennington or Franklin will ever aspire to be.

2 hours ago, Curse of the Wonderdog said:

Bat him leadoff, he'll get more ABs over the course of the season. He's the only player worth a damn.

I have a problem with this.  How often does the game end with the leadoff hitter making the last out?  The only way the leadoff hitter gets more ABs than the #2 hitter is if the leadoff hitter makes the last out of the game.  Does it really make a significant difference?

15 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I have a problem with this.  How often does the game end with the leadoff hitter making the last out?  The only way the leadoff hitter gets more ABs than the #2 hitter is if the leadoff hitter makes the last out of the game.  Does it really make a significant difference?

If everyone was an equal hitter it would happen 1/9 of the games. That equals 18 PAs over the course of a 162 game season. You can define significant however you want. It's basically a 4 game series worth of PAs.

BTW - Going by his current rate/PA from this season in 18 PAs we would expect Trout to have about 5 extra hits (1 HR and 1 2B) 3 walks, and a SB. 

42 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He has been crap for over ten years. His role is bench player so promoting Cowart is the sensible approach to create a full time player at that position. A role neither Pennington or Franklin will ever aspire to be.

Point taken but now isn't Cowart's time. Let's face it ... Cowart may aspire to be nothing more than a utility player himself. I'll be rooting for his success on the ML level. I'm sure the powers to be are too.