• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

California isn't waiting on Trump — Gov. Brown wants $5.2 billion a year in new taxes and fees to fix roads

California isn't waiting on Trump — Gov. Brown wants $5.2 billion a year in new taxes and fees to fix roads

Come on folks.  Let's get behind this.  It's only 12 cents a gallon to make California great again.  Even though we already pay the second most in gasoline taxes in the country, 0.6 cents behind NY's 69.6 cents a gallon.  Do you want to be a loser, or #1!!!  And if you are going to be #1, be #1 in a dominating fashion.

And don't worry about businesses.  The Diesel tax will only go up from 5.75% to 9.75% with an additional excise tax going from 16 cents to 36 cents.  Any good business can absorb those small increases.

But don't worry folks.  This won't be a temporary fix.  Not like those other temporary taxes that will go away once hell freezes over.  No, this tax will benefit California and be raised in perpetuity. 

California!!!! 

Edited by gotbeer

2 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Won't the money just go into the general fund, where the Democrats will use it to fund whatever wacky idea they come up with next? We will get higher taxes, but no improvements to our roads, because the assembly woman from Fremont wants universal amusement park annual passes.

Yep

Sacramento is an old Algonquin word that means "filled with idiots and morons." 

Taking more of our money to fix a problem that won't get fixed. Why aren't our current gas taxes fixing our road problems? Oh, That's right, because that money keeps getting misused by the buttheads in Sacramento. So instead of fixing the problem, they're wanting to take more of our money to throw at it. 

The silver lining in this is that they need a 2/3 majority to pass this through the legislature since it includes a constitutional amendment. That may be a tough mark to reach.

California is one of the most tax/toll/fee heavy states when it comes to taxing drivers while also having some of the worst roads that are estimated to cost drivers the most in the nation as far as damage caused to cars.  Like education this is one problem that just throwing money at won't fix because the money already going towards it is getting misused. Some of the ~25B that goes towards expenses associated with illegal immigrants and their children sure would go a long way towards fixing the infrastructure. 

If it is enacted we will see a massive transportation infrastructure/mass transit subsidy initiative within 4 years.  If it is not, we will see one in the next election.  Actually, if the state would start to "pay as we go" and disallow bond measures for infrastructure/subsidies, I'd be in favor of increased gas taxes, but that's not what is going to happen. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, AngelsLongBall said:

Over/under on how long before these "protected" funds get raided for the general fund? 

I disagree.  These 12 cents will go to improving the roads.  Always.  The other 69 cents we are already paying in gas taxes though, that will go right into the general pension fund.

56 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I disagree.  These 12 cents will go to improving the roads.  Always.  The other 69 cents we are already paying in gas taxes though, that will go right into the general pension fund.

69 cents seems low to me.

1 hour ago, colt4405 said:

I'd prefer if it didn't screw everyone regardless of income. California democrats protect the top 1% as much as republicans. 

You mean the 1% of Californians that can afford to buy a tesla and other electric vehicles where they will only have to pay a fraction of the tax that we gas users have to pay?  Even though they use the roads as much as us?

5 hours ago, Tank said:

i'd prefer to know why our already excessively high gas tax money already being collected isn't being used as intended.

You're being greedy and self-centered. Those gas taxes that were mandated for infrastructure were instead used to supplement the general fund so that those less fortunate can get free college and healthcare. You need to dig deeper if you want to fix your roads

15 minutes ago, AngelsLongBall said:

You're being greedy and self-centered. Those gas taxes that were mandated for infrastructure were instead used to supplement the general fund so that those less fortunate can get free college and healthcare. You need to dig deeper if you want to fix your roads

I apologize for not being a very good Californian. Maybe we can raise some other taxes to make everything free for everyone!

9 hours ago, colt4405 said:

I'd prefer if it didn't screw everyone regardless of income. California democrats protect the top 1% as much as republicans. 

That's literally the best part of this shit sandwich.  Everyone should be screwed by these policies not just people who've worked hard enough to make a good living.