• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angelswin.com 2017 Season Primer Part II: Strategic Choices

AngelsWin.com

I don't care about Colon but the rest of your post was spot on and I completely agree with it.  I don't care about Arte's profit margin nor should anyone on here.  I care that he puts a good team out there year in and year out.  If you don't have players that meet that criteria then go spend money on them while the young ones you have in the minors develop.  I don't need a Cespedes, but I wouldn't mind an actual major league 2nd baseman. If that means Utley for a year, ok.  I won't see that as some type of fail because he's not young.  If there were 24 year old free agent 2nd baseman that can do what Utley does for around the same price, sign me up for that path.  Since there aren't many young free agents, I'll take the talented ones that are available at the right price while developing the farm.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I don't care about Arte's profit margin nor should anyone on here.  I care that he puts a good team out there year in and year out.  If you don't have players that meet that criteria then go spend money on them while the young ones you have in the minors develop.

Well, I care about Arte's profit margin. I dont want to follow a team with a Jeffrey Loria type owner. If he's making big bucks and not reinvesting it, I want to know about it.

I dont see how you can implore him to "go spend the money" and not be interested in his profit margin. One follows the other.

Or maybe you'd just as soon he sit on cash and have a 4th place team?

This team has made the playoffs only once in 7 years and is 7-20 in the playoffs in the Moreno era.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

Well, I care about Arte's profit margin. I dont want to follow a team with a Jeffrey Loria type owner. If he's making big bucks and not reinvesting it, I want to know about it.

I dont see how you can implore him to "go spend the money" and not be interested in his profit margin. One follows the other.

Or maybe you'd just as soon he sit on cash and have a 4th place team?

This team has made the playoffs only once in 7 years and is 7-20 in the playoffs in the Moreno era.

you completely failed to understand every single thing stradling said. i think you need to go back and read it again with new eyes.

48 minutes ago, ettin said:

To be fair Moreno has continually run high payrolls that bounce up close to the Luxury Tax on a yearly basis so on that matter he has spent significantly from my point of view even though some of it may have been unwisely allocated.

i understand that, and i'm mostly ok with arte. although i have a few serious gripes, but overall he's been a good owner for the franchise. i understand that he made some mistakes in FA, more than his share actually and seemingly because he got personally involved. i'm just not interested in him becoming financially conservative, while expecting me to foot any of the bills.

i'll paint it very plainly. i root for a big market team. i expect the franchise to act like one. i'm not really interested in a lifetime of failure just hoping and wishing on a star that some day "it" may all come together. 

go out there and spend the money on the best amateur talents you can find. stock the farm system. spare no expense in development. promote from within and sign key FA's. but when you fuck up. go out there and spend the dollars needed to make up for your mistake. 

in all seriousness, if you want to be the dodgers, then start acting like the yankees and red sox.

26 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i understand that, and i'm mostly ok with arte. although i have a few serious gripes, but overall he's been a good owner for the franchise. i understand that he made some mistakes in FA, more than his share actually and seemingly because he got personally involved. i'm just not interested in him becoming financially conservative, while expecting me to foot any of the bills.

i'll paint it very plainly. i root for a big market team. i expect the franchise to act like one. i'm not really interested in a lifetime of failure just hoping and wishing on a star that some day "it" may all come together. 

go out there and spend the money on the best amateur talents you can find. stock the farm system. spare no expense in development. promote from within and sign key FA's. but when you fuck up. go out there and spend the dollars needed to make up for your mistake. 

in all seriousness, if you want to be the dodgers, then start acting like the yankees and red sox.

I think that's my biggest gripe with Arte, is that when he increased payroll in the majors, he helped offset it by not funding the minor league program at all, which is a big reason we're longer affliated with Little Rock, Rancho or Cedar Rapids, fine farm clubs with a fan base. 

Yeah, he screwed up, and when he had the opportunity to spend his way out of his mistakes, he folded, leaving an organization with a talented major league team with serious holes and a shell of a farm. 

• 3 weeks later...

So my first thought is that Eppler has executed another "two birds, one stone" exchange with the Bandy trade. My second thought is that Maldonado acquired the pictures of Scioscia Mathis had tucked away. :D Not sure how I feel about Gagnon. It looks like he could just as easily start than relieve but perhaps Eppler saw something in the relief appearances Gagnon made in 2016?