• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would it be so terrible to sell?

I totally disagree with a rebuild.  This team lacks talent on the pitching end for sure and the farm system blows, but they have been losing games because of bad baseball and poor execution. 

Bad baserunning.  Subpar defense.  Untimely hitting.  All things that should not be happening.  As bad as the SPs are, they have underperformed and Weaver has been injured.  A huge blow.  

This team was built on offense and that component has been pretty bad. 

Granted, the pen is pretty bad yet not nearly as tough to supplement - even in season. 

Does anyone really think that we can retool the farm system with who is being mentioned? 

Also, they are sitting on 115mil and 135mil in payroll from like four guys for the next two years.  two years of no fans with that kind of payroll would be a disaster.

You can't trade Trout.  Bourjos is cheap and young.  Trumbo pretty much the same.  Those are the guys you build around.  If you have a chance to rid yourself of the Hamilton and Wilson contracts, I'd be all for it, but they are backloaded and there is no way in hell you wouldn't have to eat a ton to even get a couple halfway decent prospects.

The only players that would bring real value to the team make little to no money, are young, and are actually productive Trout, Trumbo, Borjous. The ones that would be worth trading,  no one will touch for contract reasons, Pujols, Hamilton ,CJ. The others we would get nothing in return Ianetta, Vargas, Callaspo. I mean really why would any team trade anything for Callaspo? Aybar or Howie may get something, but how will trading them actually help the situation. We all know there is only one way to "shake things up" and that's in the coaching staff, you are stuck with this group of players. So it's fire Sosh/Butcher for better or worse or ride it out and hope it all miraculously clicks.

To "sell" would mean throwing in the towel for 2013. I'd say it's too early for that. Wait til the trade deadline before making any rash decisions. IF the teams turns it around, then selling won't be necessary. IF the team continues to struggle, then the Angels could get the most out of their trades with desperate teams making their playoff push.

To "sell" would mean throwing in the towel for 2013. I'd say it's too early for that. Wait til the trade deadline before making any rash decisions. IF the teams turns it around, then selling won't be necessary. IF the team continues to struggle, then the Angels could get the most out of their trades with desperate teams making their playoff push.

We are 8 games out of first place. If there were any signs that this team had life I might agree with you, but we are horrible and there is no end in sight.

I'm not saying to go out and trade everyone tomorrow, but I think Jerry should definitely pick up the phone and throw out some feelers.

Trying to think logically here. It would not have to be a full rebuild, but more of a quick 1-2 year retool. You could deal Howie, Aybar, Callaspo, Iannetta, Trumbo and Vargas, Frieri, CJ... That would net some serious prospect power close to

MLB ready.

You have Lindsey, Stamets, Romine, Harris, Jimenez, Yarbrough that could help in the infield at some point.

Would it be so far fetched?

while its crazy to talk fire sale May 1 lets say things just don't get better - I say keep the homegrown guys like Howie , Aybar and especially Trumbo - deal the rest to contenders and rebuild

it Is too early but even if we get hot we play catch up for the rest of the year - April sucks one game Worse than last years terrible April

Trying to think logically here. It would not have to be a full rebuild, but more of a quick 1-2 year retool. You could deal Howie, Aybar, Callaspo, Iannetta, Trumbo and Vargas, Frieri, CJ... That would net some serious prospect power close to

MLB ready.

You have Lindsey, Stamets, Romine, Harris, Jimenez, Yarbrough that could help in the infield at some point.

Would it be so far fetched?

So Scott, the very players you want to trade for "near-MLB ready prospects" are signed, for the most part, through the next 2-4 years or more. Why do we have to trade them away when we already held a draft last year and are approaching the one this year which will start restocking our farm with prospects that will be ready 2-4 years out from today?

I believe Dipoto recently discussed this with with AW.com regarding, and I am paraphrasing here, a "yearly moving window of contention" where we put a "supposedly" good product on the field (and no matter how badly the Angels are doing this year, having Pujols, Trout, Weaver, Trumbo, et. al. is a good product) EVERY year?

That should be the goal of every MLB team and Jerry wants to build and align the team that way. I say continue with the players we have signed in free agency and through extensions and replace as needed from the farm or through trades. I think the future goal should be to use free agency to supplement a good core of home built talent and not as a device to bring in superstar players (unless of course we have a ton of cash to spend!).

I think a reboot is unnecessary. Re-tooling a tiny bit? Maybe, as needed. I guess I just don't see any reason to trade Erick Aybar for instance because the likelihood that we get an impact shortstop in return (or another position player or pitcher) that can contribute to our team in their first 2-3 years is asking a lot. Most prospects stumble in their first two years of MLB play.

To answer this a bit further Scott if we really wanted to completely reboot we should do it the way the Astros are currently doing it and trade off any extraneous assets that we don't want to build around.

So clearly we would keep Trout as a centerpiece to the team, in that scenario, and build around him. Players like Pujols, Weaver, and Hamilton have full no-trade contracts so unless we get their blessing to trade them we would be faced with a core of Trout, Pujols, Weaver, and Hamilton to build around.

You would then have to decide if players like Trumbo, Bourjos, Aybar, Kendrick, Iannetta, et. al. would be tradeable pieces that could bring back a lot of prospects as a group. But it also begs the question again as to why you would sell someone like Trumbo or Bourjos that have approximately 4 years left under club control and not use them as additional pieces to build around? This is why the team needs just a little re-tooling not a complete makeover, but I digress.