• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels re-sign RHP Andrew Bailey

totdprods

while I think it's a good deal, I am not exactly awestruck.  We've had a pen filled with retreads for the majority of the last 7 years and our pen has been abysmal as a result.  I understand that a poor farm system is more to blame than anything, but you fill your pen with 1yr/1mil guys, castoffs from the reds, and rule 5 picks, and you are going to get production commensurate with that.  Of course, a couple of these guys might do well, but here we are again with a collection of guys that will extend tryouts through april.  

There's plenty of off season left so I hope we can make some stronger moves, but the word 'dominant' is not exactly what I would use to describe anyone outside of Bedrock and he's coming off surgery.  

Are you excited about Andrew Bailey pitching meaningful innings next year?  Color me underwhelmed.  I, personally, have higher expectations for our bullpen than that.  

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

while I think it's a good deal, I am not exactly awestruck.  We've had a pen filled with retreads for the majority of the last 7 years and our pen has been abysmal as a result.  I understand that a poor farm system is more to blame than anything, but you fill your pen with 1yr/1mil guys, castoffs from the reds, and rule 5 picks, and you are going to get production commensurate with that.  Of course, a couple of these guys might do well, but here we are again with a collection of guys that will extend tryouts through april.  

There's plenty of off season left so I hope we can make some stronger moves, but the word 'dominant' is not exactly what I would use to describe anyone outside of Bedrock and he's coming off surgery.  

Are you excited about Andrew Bailey pitching meaningful innings next year?  Color me underwhelmed.  I, personally, have higher expectations for our bullpen than that.  

Like I said, if he simply replaces Salas' role and can exceed his production, I'm pretty happy. I think we'll still be in the market for another MLB reliever.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

What people forget is that for every high upside tryout that works out there are probably two or three that don't and while we are busy separating the wheat from the chaff those are innings where those players are blowing games and giving up runs. 

11 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I had no problem with what you said. Bailey has been abysmal since 2013, aside from him 12 innings with us. I have no problem with a low risk signing like this, but I am with you and am not as excited about a 32 year old being a potential closer for us based on 12 innings. Hopefully he's a serviceable bullpen piece. That's all I'm hoping of the dude.

That's the best case scenario. He has been terrible for awhile and then threw 12 innings that weren't even that good, yet some are talking about making him the 'closer' ahead of a pitcher who was absolutely dominant last year. For $1 million I don't hate the deal, but my expectations are very low. There is a higher chance Bailey gets DFAd at some point in the season than him being legitimately good, I think. The suggestions that this has addressed our bullpen concerns are pretty absurd, it's barely even a start.

42 minutes ago, JAHV76 said:

I know most of us will not make $1M next year but in the grand scheme of baseball contracts this is a small price to pay considering the upside potential.

I agree it's not a high price. I just don't see much of an upside potential for a 33-year-old who has been effective for a total of 12 innings in the past three years.

Just now, SigBaby said:

Now sign another righty along the lines of Barrett, Tazawa, Walden and a lefty like Boone Logan or Travis Wood and this bullpen will be much improved from last year.

Swing a trade for a second baseman and sign a vet SP like Volquez to a 1/$8 and looking pretty solid.

4 hours ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Literally nothing to complain about here. Significant upside at a chump-change price. I wonder if a 2B trade isn't in the offing; would basically leave C/Bench bat, another reliever, and starting pitching as the only (if very significant) needs.

This is what the Ryan Madson deal should have looked like.   

22 hours ago, Stradling said:

A million dollars is not a ton of money when you consider he was going to at least get $550k if he were signed at the minimum.  As it relates to Utley, it is about all things being considered.  He is left handed, the team wants a left handed bat.  He will sign a short 1 year contract.  This allows for the team to reset finances for the 2018 free agent class.  He was healthy last year.  He isn't going to cost a draft pick.  He has been part of winning teams.  

Now is time to chase chase?