• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels re-sign RHP Andrew Bailey

totdprods

25 seconds ago
The signed Bailey to a $1M deal, plus incentives, presumably paying him more if he ends up as the closer.

Good deal! Eppler moves quick. 

At a bare minimum, our MLB needs going into this offseason: 
LF (Maybin)
2B
3B (Escobar)
RP (Bailey, at least one more MLB RP aside from Yates, Parker, De Los Santos)
SP (at least one more MLB SP aside from Campos)
4th OF (based off Eppler's comments for a complimentary player to Maybin)
C (possibly)

Eppler believed in moving quickly. He struck quickly with Simmons last year, offering the Braves a package they didn't even counter, they just said yes to. As for Maybin, my best guess is Eppler wanted to acquire him at the deadline, but the Tigers were still in it, so they put off the deal until the first day it could be done.

This tactic makes a ton of sense to me. Why wait for the market to develop. Go after these guys and get them early. Sort of the anti-Reagins.

1 minute ago, Scotty@AW said:

Eppler believed in moving quickly. He struck quickly with Simmons last year, offering the Braves a package they didn't even counter, they just said yes to. As for Maybin, my best guess is Eppler wanted to acquire him at the deadline, but the Tigers were still in it, so they put off the deal until the first day it could be done.

This tactic makes a ton of sense to me. Why wait for the market to develop. Go after these guys and get them early. Sort of the anti-Reagins.

Yeah, even last year he 'addressed' LF pretty quickly with Nava/Gentry, and still continued for ways to improve there and bump them down the depth chart. It didn't happen, but it almost did with Saunders. He looks to be doing the same thing this winter. I imagine we'll be grabbing a minor-league FA or two at SP, LF, or SP that is around a Rafael Ortega-level pretty soon. If I recall, that signing came very quickly last year too.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, even last year he 'addressed' LF pretty quickly with Nava/Gentry, and still continued for ways to improve there and bump them down the depth chart. It didn't happen, but it almost did with Saunders. He looks to be doing the same thing this winter. I imagine we'll be grabbing a minor-league FA or two at SP, LF, or SP that is around a Rafael Ortega-level pretty soon. If I recall, that signing came very quickly last year too.

Like any good GM, he's always on the lookout for small ways to improve the team. It's how he built depth. I think the difference between Eppler and Dipoto is that Jerry seemed to make moves just for the sake of making them, and never built depth because if the good players get hurt, you can't replace them anyway. 

I can see Eppler adding one more MLB level starter like Nova, a 2B, a 4th OF and a ton of AAA moves, including taking advantage in the Rule 5.

6 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I can see Eppler adding one more MLB level starter like Nova, a 2B, a 4th OF and a ton of AAA moves, including taking advantage in the Rule 5.

That's almost exactly what I feel is in the cards as well. I think 4th OF may be a little more likely to come from Rule V to help bring some sort of young OF into the system as a potential Maybin replacement in '18. I could also see him playing the waiting game and snagging an older vet who waited for an everyday job all winter only to settle for less in January. I think 2B will come via trade. I think we'll get one more FA RP as well - probably dependent on what means we use to acquire a 2B or how much we spend on a SP.

19 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Literally nothing to complain about here. Significant upside at a chump-change price. I wonder if a 2B trade isn't in the offing; would basically leave C/Bench bat, another reliever, and starting pitching as the only (if very significant) needs.

I like that we already have five different guys slotted into the 5th SP competition: Meyer, Banuelos, Campos, Smith, and Wright. 

If they sign one MLB SP, those guys become your SLC rotation or big-league relievers.
The Meyer, Banuelos, Wright, and Campos acquisitions are really showing their worth right now.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I like that we already have five different guys slotted into the 5th SP competition: Meyer, Banuelos, Campos, Smith, and Wright. 

A couple of those could slot into the bullpen as well.

Yep. Adding Meyers and Banuelos help me feel a *little* bit better about our pitching depth next year. You always need 8 starters to get through the year; I think Meyer will definitely be one, and if Banuelos stays healthy he could be another.

2 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Yep. Adding Meyers and Banuelos help me feel a *little* bit better about our pitching depth next year. You always need 8 starters to get through the year; I think Meyer will definitely be one, and if Banuelos stays healthy he could be another.

And I imagine they're going to add to those AAA pitcher still too.

33 minutes ago, nando714 said:

12 innings later...here's a millions bucks 

I'm surprised he didn't get more based on the cost of pitching, particularly relievers, these days. 

Salas made $2.4m last season, and MLBTR predicts a 2/$12m for him this offseason. 

If Bailey can at least outperform Salas' production, I'm happy.

7 minutes ago, nando714 said:

What have we done? Maybin I like. I'm just saying this dude earned a $1 million dollars for 12 innings of work. I'm not in favor of 38 year utley to man 2B if we do that way 

A million dollars is not a ton of money when you consider he was going to at least get $550k if he were signed at the minimum.  As it relates to Utley, it is about all things being considered.  He is left handed, the team wants a left handed bat.  He will sign a short 1 year contract.  This allows for the team to reset finances for the 2018 free agent class.  He was healthy last year.  He isn't going to cost a draft pick.  He has been part of winning teams.