• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nate Smith applying lessons of '15

Chuck

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160704&content_id=187841674&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Nate Smith made his Pacific Coast League debut with Salt Lake late last season.

It did not go well as Smith went 2-4 with a 7.75 ERA in seven starts. But he said it did impart some valuable lessons.

"I learned a lot from it, took that into the offseason and then obviously into this season," Smith said. "Working with pitching coach Pat Rice, who's filling in for Erik Bennett, he's been my pitching coach for the past two years, so it's nice to have him a third year. You just kind of pick up where you left off, just working on keeping the ball down and just reading hitters better."

Using what he learned, the Angels' third-ranked prospect is 5-2 with a 3.92 ERA in 14 starts this year, numbers good enough to earn a spot at the All-Star Futures Game.

"Obviously, it's an honor," Smith said. "I'm proud to represent the Angels. I'm humbled that they gave me an opportunity. I found out a couple days ago. The hard part was keeping it a secret; they told me not to tell anybody. It's exciting."

Smith said he expects his parents to make it out to the game in San Diego on July 10 but otherwise is looking forward to the experience of going up against some of the best prospects in the game.

"Definitely, I look forward to facing them, and not just that but hanging out with them, too," Smith said. "I know a handful of people, but I look forward to meeting some new guys and making some new relationships."

Lately, Smith has had a good relationship with the hitter-friendly PCL.

"Like I said, [the key is] keeping the ball down," he said. "The ball flies in a lot of these parks. Learning how to read hitters better, their swings, what their approaches are. Learning how to pitch with what I have, [pitch] sequences, things like that."

A 2013 13th-round pick out of Furman, Smith has moved steadily up the ladder, learning more and more at each stop. One of the biggest lessons has been in coming up with a good plan for each hitter he faces.

"It's been interesting," Smith said. "It's kind of like playing chess, almost. You've got to think, 'What's his strengths, what are my strengths, what are his weaknesses?' Sometimes you've got to do your best and hope for the best."

One thing Smith hasn't worried about is how many analysts have pegged the Angels as having the Majors' worst farm system.

"That's out of our control, it's just another person's opinion," he said. "Everyone in this locker room is confident in their abilities. When you're out on the field, it doesn't matter what someone ranks someone else. You're trying to put bread on your table. You're trying to win. You've got to do whatever you can."

Nate has had 2 starts where he's gotten blow up.  Giving up 8er over 4ip and 9er over 4ip.  He's had 1 start where he gave up 4er in 5.1ip and 3er in 7ip.  Otherwise, he's had 11 starts where he's given up between 0 and 2 er.  

Outside of those 2 blowups he's pitched 81.2 innings with a 2.31 era in his 13 other starts.  

While I am not a big fan of just disregarding stats to make a guy look better, he's had 8 starts of 6ip and 2 runs or less, and 3 others of at least 5ip and 1 run or less.  That's giving your team a chance to win big time.  I can handle the occasional blow up if he's doing what he has in his other starts.  

I understand the halos not wanting to start his clock, but he's ready and i am looking forward to seeing him.   

Yeah, I've been highly skeptical of Smith in the past. I saw a mid 80's fastball and simply passable off speed pitches at first. This grew into a high 80's fastball with a good slider and passable change. Then he became high 80's - low 90's with a good slider and change up.

He can be a good #4 starter in the major leagues.

17 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160704&content_id=187841674&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Nate Smith made his Pacific Coast League debut with Salt Lake late last season.

It did not go well as Smith went 2-4 with a 7.75 ERA in seven starts. But he said it did impart some valuable lessons.

"I learned a lot from it, took that into the offseason and then obviously into this season," Smith said. "Working with pitching coach Pat Rice, who's filling in for Erik Bennett, he's been my pitching coach for the past two years, so it's nice to have him a third year. You just kind of pick up where you left off, just working on keeping the ball down and just reading hitters better."

Using what he learned, the Angels' third-ranked prospect is 5-2 with a 3.92 ERA in 14 starts this year, numbers good enough to earn a spot at the All-Star Futures Game.

"Obviously, it's an honor," Smith said. "I'm proud to represent the Angels. I'm humbled that they gave me an opportunity. I found out a couple days ago. The hard part was keeping it a secret; they told me not to tell anybody. It's exciting."

Smith said he expects his parents to make it out to the game in San Diego on July 10 but otherwise is looking forward to the experience of going up against some of the best prospects in the game.

"Definitely, I look forward to facing them, and not just that but hanging out with them, too," Smith said. "I know a handful of people, but I look forward to meeting some new guys and making some new relationships."

Lately, Smith has had a good relationship with the hitter-friendly PCL.

"Like I said, [the key is] keeping the ball down," he said. "The ball flies in a lot of these parks. Learning how to read hitters better, their swings, what their approaches are. Learning how to pitch with what I have, [pitch] sequences, things like that."

A 2013 13th-round pick out of Furman, Smith has moved steadily up the ladder, learning more and more at each stop. One of the biggest lessons has been in coming up with a good plan for each hitter he faces.

"It's been interesting," Smith said. "It's kind of like playing chess, almost. You've got to think, 'What's his strengths, what are my strengths, what are his weaknesses?' Sometimes you've got to do your best and hope for the best."

One thing Smith hasn't worried about is how many analysts have pegged the Angels as having the Majors' worst farm system.

"That's out of our control, it's just another person's opinion," he said. "Everyone in this locker room is confident in their abilities. When you're out on the field, it doesn't matter what someone ranks someone else. You're trying to put bread on your table. You're trying to win. You've got to do whatever you can."

He belongs to a very exclusive club.