• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ortega starting tonight speaks volumes...

The deadline is coming for Choi vs Ortega as Nava nears his return date.  Sciascia made clear what he thinks Ortega can do, but mentioned in the most professional manner possible that Choi's role "is still being defined".  Now obviously Ortega can be sent to AAA to get everyday AB's making it possible to keep Choi, which seems like a good idea at first.  But it's also entirely possible that Ortega has played himself into a starting role.  He's the best defender we have for LF, has been reaching base and can fly on the base paths. 

I think it has become pretty clear Choi is on his way out.  I wish him the best of luck though.  Good kid, it's abundantly clear some MLB team is going to scoop him up and offer more opportunity for playing time than the Angels can.  Looking forward to Nava's return too. 

Why?

I think it would've been a good idea too.  Just because of Choi's upside.  If he hits the way he's capable of, he has the type of bat that makes less than stellar defense in LF more acceptable.  But with Ortega coming along the way he has and Pujols being healthy earlier than excepted, there just isn't any room. 

I'm wondering if Ortega is another Reggie Willits JB Shuck, or Collin Cowgill - a guy who gets an opportunity and does well with it for a few months or even a year, but then whose weaknesses are revealed after a cycle through the league. Nava remains the better bet to put runs on the board and Choi probably has greater future upside, and considering that it is early in the year, I like the idea of putting Ortega in AAA and giving Choi more of a chance, with Nava starting in LF.

On the other hand, with Gentry on the DL, why can't the Angels keep Ortega and Choi up?

I'm no Choi fan, but I can't help but feel we should have given him more than 13 at bats before writing him off. I'm pretty sure he sucks but, given how weak the alternatives are, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to get a little more proof of that.

Not sure who's at bats he takes but I agree with this. Cron started off LOUSY but is up to .240 and has been walking more lately. Albert has to play his way into a hot streak, and there's no way Choi should start over Ortega or Nava.

Maybe, Choi's offensive prowess was found in a bottle on the interwebs?..... Just asking how has he done since?

His one great power season he hit 18 bombs across 3 levels (sample size).....

He's no Hee-Seop!~

This spring he hit just .209/.321/.328 in 67 at-bats, though he did contribute a pair of homers and draw 11 walks. The Angels kept him on the roster.... Hopes or Dreams?

Overall # wise... 

He hit well in Rookie and A

meh in AA

Avg in AAA

And horrid in the Dominican Republic .219.....

Edited by SlappyUtilityMIF