• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Miguel Cabrera is off to a slow start

Chuck

After slashing .314/.459/.541 with 29 bombs, (143 walks) Joey Votto is off to a .206/.295/.307 line with 2 HR. 

Meanwhile, the high priced outfielder Justin Upton is even worse. Hitting .214 with just 1 HR, 3 RBI and has struck out 30 times vs. just 3 walks. No SB. 

Maybe we should just give Pujols a break. 

If you put aside all the PED suspicions, I look at Ortiz and A-Rod and I see two great hitters who also had moments in their mid-30's where they started struggling mightily. They weren't as prolonged or quite as severe as some of Pujols' struggles, but Pujols has also had glimpses of productivity as an Angel.

My hope is that, with hitters this special, they're able to get by on raw talent so long that when time catches up to them, their bodies are unable to recreate what they've done so, so we'll for so long, and it really becomes more of a complete mental AND physical re-education to become productive again, and only the true greats are capable of doing that. Sometimes it takes a year or two, sometimes it's inconsistent, but I truly hope Albert is that special that he's able to reinvent himself and make it another handful of years. I don't think he will have as dramatic of a resurrection as A-Rod or Ortiz had, as they benefitted from playing in better hitting environments, but I do hold on to some hope he finds a way to tap into a second wind of sorts.

They are all struggling, for sure. Pujols deserves a chance to turn things around because it's very early in the season, but the slash lines of Miggy and Votto last year blew Pujols out of the water.

It wasn't close. Votto had a 7.4 WAR and Miguel had a 4.3 WAR in 119 games.

They are far better ball players than Albert Pujols at this point. But your point is a good one. It's still very early.

Yeah, in no way was I comparing the ball players. Just simply saying that Pujols like other stars is off to a slow start.  Hell, even Trout was until this past week. 

Hopefully Pujols' game yesterday is the turnaround contest for him. He hit the ball hard 3 times, got two hits out of it. 

it's like once you hit 32-33 years old, you instantly start your decline.

That's true.  The golden zone is 27-32 for probably 85% of the players.  For the Angels, when Trout enters that zone you want maximum other golden zone talent at that time.  With the exception of Pujols we should be clear of all the damaging contracts at that time.