• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

If they're going to promote Thaiss based on his performance and growth in Advanced A Ball then they should promote Hermosillo to AAA based off the same merit and logic.

I could see Herm getting the bump up in next couple weeks. Once Trout returns we may start seeing the Revere/Young depth change up, some of those guys could get traded or claimed. Some of the Burlington guys may push IE guys to AA too.

If the Angels do wind up selling heavily, could see Herm even get a Sept. call-up to gauge his '18 potential.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

If they're going to promote Thaiss based on his performance and growth in Advanced A Ball then they should promote Hermosillo to AAA based off the same merit and logic.

Holy smokes, didn't realize how well he's doing lately. Last 15 games: .373/.500/.608, 5 for 5 in SB, and 13 BBs to 14 Ks.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I could see Herm getting the bump up in next couple weeks. Once Trout returns we may start seeing the Revere/Young depth change up, some of those guys could get traded or claimed. Some of the Burlington guys may push IE guys to AA too.

If the Angels do wind up selling heavily, could see Herm even get a Sept. call-up to gauge his '18 potential.

I'm not prophetic as far as I know, so I can't predict what will happen. But I do know that as soon as I saw Michael in Burlington last year, I saw a changed player with the swing and talent to be an impact big leaguer. The fact that he torched his way to AA this year was no surprise to me. The fact that he's made adjustments and is doing so well now doesn't surprise me either. I just hope the Angels don't ruin this one by having him rack up the frequent flyer miles.

37 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I gotta give @Dave Saltzer props as he was touting Hermosillo way back in rookie ball when he was down in Orem, Arizona. 

I was all over him in Orem as well. The athleticism and work ethic stuck out among his peers. But his swing was......I dunno how to describe it...choppy I guess? It didn't look natural to him, like it was forced or he was working on something.

He's since opened his stance up slightly, and his leg kick is higher (though he says he hadn't noticed that part), he keeps his weight back better and the swing is strong, fluid. The barrel spends a lot of time in the zone, and the loft he creates should allow for many more HR's down the road, though for now those are high liners into the gaps. 

I think if I could offer advice to pitchers, it would be, "whatever you do, even if he's diving out over the plate, do not pitch him inside. His hips open up, and his hands are too quick. If you miss inside, that ball is not coming back.

Herm and Jones highlight what the Dipoto era was so bad at, which is drafting highly athletic prep players. Eppler had fixed this. I can guarantee you, if Hermosillo focused only on baseball and not football, and attended showcase tournaments in the same manner prospects do today, he probably would've come off the board before the 5th round.

I'm not even sure the Angels expected to sign him. Most kids with high profile football scholarships like had go the collegiate route. 

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

You know who is starting to remind me of Lackey? Grayson Long is starting to look like a chip off the old salt block.

So tot do you think that during Grayson's first call up to the Majors that he will be the same as Lackey out of the gait?

John Lackey, 6'6" 235 RHP from Texas (through age 23, up to AAA):
143 GS, 927.1 IP, 3.79 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 8.5 H/9, 0.7 BB/9, 2.7 BB/9, 6.9 K/9

Grayson Long, 6'5", 230 RHP from Texas (through 23 years old, up to AA): 
78 GS, 329.2 IP, 4.01 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 8.5 H/9, 0.8 BB/9, 3.4 BB/9, 9.4 K/9

Oh, and Lackey went to Grayson County College.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

John Lackey, 6'6" 235 RHP from Texas (through age 23, up to AAA):
143 GS, 927.1 IP, 3.79 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 8.5 H/9, 0.7 BB/9, 2.7 BB/9, 6.9 K/9

Grayson Long, 6'5", 230 RHP from Texas (through 23 years old, up to AA): 
78 GS, 329.2 IP, 4.01 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 8.5 H/9, 0.8 BB/9, 3.4 BB/9, 9.4 K/9

Lackey's fastball was 2-3 ticks harder than Long, but Long's has better sinking action. Their off-speed pitches are very similar. Long is more composed than Lackey, though you could argue it was that fiery spirit Lackey has that has kept him in the majors for so long. He felt like he owned the plate and would fight anyone or bean anyone who threatened it.

5 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Lackey's fastball was 2-3 ticks harder than Long, but Long's has better sinking action. Their off-speed pitches are very similar. Long is more composed than Lackey, though you could argue it was that fiery spirit Lackey has that has kept him in the majors for so long. He felt like he owned the plate and would fight anyone or bean anyone who threatened it.

That same fiery spirit he shared with his teammates that didn't field the ball well enough and his lovely wife who got cancer that he divorced?

40 minutes ago, ettin said:

That same fiery spirit he shared with his teammates that didn't field the ball well enough and his lovely wife who got cancer that he divorced?

I never said he knew how to and when to turn that off. Never even said he was a good person. That fiery spirit could be construed as stubbornness, he's too damn stubborn to ride off into the sunset when his arm hurts, so here he is, what 38 years old, still pitching.

It's nothing to look up to if it isn't harnessed. A gun isn't a weapon unless you know how to use it. 

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I never said he knew how to and when to turn that off. Never even said he was a good person. That fiery spirit could be construed as stubbornness, he's too damn stubborn to ride off into the sunset when his arm hurts, so here he is, what 38 years old, still pitching.

It's nothing to look up to if it isn't harnessed. A gun isn't a weapon unless you know how to use it. 

I was being facetious/sarcastic towards Lackey, Scotty, not you. I just really dislike him as a person. Sorry if you took it that way it appears my thread posts are being a bit misconstrued.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nice!  Barria seems to be a guy that is going to outperform his 'stuff' because of his ability to pitch.  I've been trying to think of good comps for him.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Nice!  Barria seems to be a guy that is going to outperform his 'stuff' because of his ability to pitch.  I've been trying to think of good comps for him.  

Fangraphs > Sickels, BA, other asshole publications. 

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I can't think of a good comp for his actual repertoire, but when I think of pitchers that out-perform their stuff, the first one that comes to mind is Tom Glavine. Also, Andy Pettitte and Jered Weaver.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Fangraphs > Sickels, BA, other asshole publications. 

Haha, really? You mean you like it when people talk nicely about the Angels (that was a really great comment, by the way - glad Fangraphs is catching on).

Anyhow, I'd hardly call Sickels an "asshole publication." Dude is as unbiased as they come.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I agree with that. I know where his stuff rates, but I think he can beat his stuff on his actual pitching. Lots of guys with "stuff" under perform because they don't learn the difference between pitching and throwing. In my interview with Finley, we talked about that. He made a good point about it.