• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2 Things I've Noticed in ST

SigBaby

Just a couple things I've noticed i dont know if they've been mentioned yet ,but:

1) I've noticed we've played our regular lineup quite a few times already this spring training with more consistency than we have have in past years. Maybe i'm just not remembering correctly, but it seems like at least 6 of our starters are regularly in there with most of the bench pieces like Pennington or Gentry getting most of the other starts. Guys like Cowart, Kubitza and Ortega don't seem to be getting much of a chance to prove themselves although Ortega's looked good so far as a depth outfielder.

2) Why haven't we picked up at least one free agent pitcher for depth? It seems like everyday we're starting one of our 5 starters and Nate Smith is our only guy not in the rotation who has started a game. I'm not saying they're good pitchers, but why not sign a guy like Jerome Williams  or Chad Billingsly to a minor league deal? Maybe the club's waiting for other teams to make roster decisions before picking up some veteran guys to stash in the minors.

We have more depth now, more major league caliber players and thus you're seeing more of them simply because there are more of them. That an in years past, the Angels got off to slow starts so they started pushing it a little earlier.

And as for FA, the Angels pitching depth is in good shape right now, even without CJ and Weav. In fact it may be better off without them.

Opening day starters:

Richards

Heaney

Santiago

Tropeano

Shoemaker

I would not imagine that Wilson or Skaggs will be out too long.  With Skaggs, I think they are being overly cautious.

Weaver and Shoemaker could even tag team the #5 spot, let Weaver pitching a few innings and then bring in Shoe.

You may not love the depth, but it is there.

Scotty A , Where is the starting depth? Weaver is throwing like a nine year old , skaggs and Wilson are still hurt and Nate smith isn't much for depth?

Weaver wasn't going to be in the rotation to begin with, and if he was all you'd do is complain about how he's getting killed out there. So no loss there.

CJ is a loss for now but no one expected him to be healthy in the first place, so again, no loss. Skaggs is going to be ready after the first week, so there isn't a lack of depth there, plus he was scheduled for AAA anyway. Again, not sure what there is to complain about here.

The rotation is set to be Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Shoemaker and Santiago for now. By the second week of the season we'll have Skaggs, Weaver and Smith in depth. 8 deep in starting pitching.

Also, just who do you plan to go and get right now that's going to be better than Skaggs, Weav, Wilson and Smith? Lincecum?

The Angels starting pitching depth is set, and it's adequate.