• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Escobar

HaloNArizona

What's his defense like at 2nd Base?

I would still like to see either Cowart or Kubitza at 3B and Escobar at 2B.  I think his value is higher (offensively) at 2nd. 

Escobar has played 21 games at 2B in his MLB career. All 21 games were played in 2007. So, it's pretty difficult to speculate on his 2B defensive capabilities nine years later. His natural position is SS.

If he plays 3B at the same level as he did in 2015 for the Nationals, we're all going to be missing David Freese's defense in 2016..

In that case, I'd just move Escobar to 2B now, and leave him there.

Gio had a nice year with clutch hits.    But he has no other positives to bring to the table (mediocre OBP and even more mediocre defense/arm). 

At least Escobar has the range/arm to play 2B, just a matter of how well Alfredo Griffin would mentor him at 2B.

David Freese was a below average defensive 3B.  His range was non-existent, his glove was ok, and his arm was ok.  I think we just got so used to it that we weren't complaining.  But when compared to Callaspo and before him Wood and Figgins, Freese's 3B was crap.  Last year, Escobar was a mess at 3B in the first half.  He wasn't familiar with the position and had been signed to play 2B.  But because of injuries he was forced over to 3B.  He had a bad defensive SS playing beside him and just was not used to this position.  The end result was a comically performance, despite tools that would indicate he should be a good defensive 3B.  As the year progressed though, he improved to the point where the Nationals were actually impressed with the growth he made.  Now obviously this doesn't mean much for this year, but it's a preface. 

Escobar has better range, a better glove and a better arm than David Freese.  He just needs experience and the right situation.  The experience is coming along as evidenced by last year.  And the situation is perfect for him, with Simmons playing right next to him, and having the opportunity to learn under the tutelage of Alfredo Griffin, who is the best infield coach on the game.  

The end result, I think Esocbar is going to end up being even better than Freese, to the point where he's an average defensive 3B.  

And for the Angels it's perfect, because they aren't fully committed to Esocbar at 3B.  He's only signed through this year at only 7 million.  If it doesn't work out they can go a different direction.  If it does work out, they get him for another year after this too.  And, if one of the younger guys in Kubitza or Cowart make the necessary adjustments, Escobar can be moved over to 2B.

It's the perfect fit really, especially when you consider that Escobar's a leadoff hitter.  Good move by Eppler. 

In that case, I'd just move Escobar to 2B now, and leave him there.

Gio had a nice year with clutch hits.    But he has no other positives to bring to the table (mediocre OBP and even more mediocre defense/arm). 

At least Escobar has the range/arm to play 2B, just a matter of how well Alfredo Griffin would mentor him at 2B.

That mediocre OBP was third on the team. One of the guys ahead of him (Freese) is no longer on the team.

Wow...look at all the clamor to have a guy play a position that he hasn't played in 9 years and then only 21 times.

I don't care where he's more valuable offensively. I care about where he can *actually* play. If he's a mediocre 3B, which he spent most of his time at last year, wouldn't he be even MORE mediocre at a position he hasn't played...at all...in seven years?

Not necessarily. Escobar has always profiled better as a 2B than as a 3B or SS. The fact that he hasn't played there much is merely happenstance.

Johnny Giavotella was rated the worst defensive 2B in MLB last year. In fact, he was so bad, that MEDIOCRE would've been a tremendous upgrade.

When the statistics support my assertions, they are very valuable.

When the statistics are non-existent or they contradict my assertions, they are merely happenstance.

When the statistics support my assertions, they are very valuable.

When the statistics are non-existent or they contradict my assertions, they are merely happenstance.

Before last season he had played nearly an equal amount of games at 2B and 3B. The vast majority of his games were played at SS. Generally players are able to move from SS to 2B. He wasn't going to play 2B in Washington with Rendon slated to start there. He's just not as good as Rendon but that's not the worst condemnation of a player. Him moving over to second had more to do with the circumstances of the Nationals than it did with his skill set as a baseball player.

That mediocre OBP was third on the team. One of the guys ahead of him (Freese) is no longer on the team.

That isn't really saying anything considering the Angels were 26th in the majors in OBP. Escobar will almost certainly have a better OBP than Giavotella.

If were going all in on defense why not put CowaKubi at 3rd and let Escobar take 2nd. So far the Angels front office has said Escobar will take 3rd, meaning Gia at 2nd. That means two below average defenders on the infield. With the CowaKubi method you get great d at 3rd and decent d at 2nd.

Because it is a 25 not 27 man roster.