• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tigers acquire K-Rod

Mark68

Tigers Acquire Francisco Rodriguez

By Jeff Todd |

November 18, 2015 at 10:43am CST

11:10am: The deal has been announced.

11:09am: Detroit will also send a player to be named in the deal, James Schmehl of MLive.com reports on Twitter.

10:43am: The Tigers have agreed to a deal to acquire reliever Francisco Rodriguez from the Brewers, according to a report from Venezuelan journalist Augusto Cardenas (via Twitter). Infielder Javier Betancourt will head to Milwaukee in the swap, per the report.

K-Rod was something of a forgotten man in early-offseason discussions of relief trade chips, but it always seemed likely that he’d change hands. After all, new Brewers GM David Stearns has clearly been tasked with rebuilding. Rodriguez is obviously not a long-term piece, and his backloaded contract still has $9.5MM left to go (including the buyout of a 2017 option). Detroit will pay the entirety of the remaining obligation, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets.

Though he’s now nearly 34 years of age, Rodriguez has continued to be a reliable force at the back of the pen. He ended the 2015 season with 57 innings of 2.21 ERA pitching, striking out 9.8 and walking only 1.7 batters per nine along the way. Rodriguez also permitted a meager 6.0 hits per nine, leaving him with an outstanding (and career-low) 0.860 WHIP on the season.

It’s true that Rodriguez benefitted from a .234 BABIP last year, and an even lower one in the season prior, but he’s carried a .271 mark for his career and also put up a strong 46.4% groundball rate. Of greater concern, perhaps, is that Rodriguez has been increasingly homer-prone as his arm speed has dropped. He lost a full mile per hour off his average fastball velocity between 2014 and 2015, falling below 90 mph for the first time. Then again, that didn’t stop him from producing a 14.0% swinging strike rate — a level he hasn’t reached since he was with the Angels.

Betancourt reached the High-A level last year at age 20 and currently sits at 11th among Tigers prospects, in the estimation of MLB.com.

He's put together a really solid career. During all his Mets drama I wondered if he'd flame out and be out of baseball in his early 30's, but he looks like he still has a few years ahead of him.

Not many relievers are as good as he has been over 14 (!) full seasons.

Edited by totdprods

Yup he was menacing in the 02 post season run

few years after too. Just before he went FA, he lost some dominance frm control issues. But from 02 to about 2005 he was insane. You could swing at that slider and miss, or watch it hit the K zone for a strike. Your choice.

Still shake my head thinking about how good our pens used to be. Seriously have to wonder how we stopped producing internal bullpen arms (quality) and a solid run of position prospects

I thought K-Rod had somewhat of a comeback last season -- he pitched well.

good pick up by the Tigers.

I wish we would have brought K-Rod back -- he could be a pre-set up guy, a set-up guy and could close out some games.

I was at the game where K-Rod got his 62nd save and broke the single season saves record......it was an odd game because the Halos, if I recall right, were pretty much out of the race for the playoffs and everyone pretty much knew K-Rod was done as a Halo -- he got the save and it was a nice record but the stadium was fairly quiet.

then K-Rod went F/A thinking the record setting performance was going to translate into a huge contract and he signed with the Mets for not much more really than what the Angels offered and really got off to bad start in New York sort of de-railing what had been a very successful career........he sort of found his way back with Milwaukee and I thought pitched effectively for them during most of his time there and last year had a good season.

Well to be honest, Skip really, really, accommodated Frankie during that year I think as a thank you for killing it in 2002, getting him a ring and eventually, a freakin' extensive well paid career.

Some of those saves yes were technically saves, but they weren't always earned the way a typical closer gets them. That being said, a save is a save.

Closer roles come and go, and while Frankie kinda lost that groove over some years, a lot of closers do. I think if we would have kept him as a setup guy or in the bullpen he would have been great, but he wanted to take advantage of his notoriety at the time and went for the highest bidder. He was no doubt a well used weapon in 2002.