• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Long and/or Expensive Contracts

Docwaukee

Are there any good ones?  Are they really that bad?  

Lets take a look.:

I included where it started and where it's at.  Players age 

AL EAST

Toronto -

Tulo (30yo) 6/118 w option.  4+ option left after this year.

Martin (32) 5/82.  4yrs left

Yankees

Arod (39) - 10/252.  2/42 left

Sabathia (34)- 8/182 w vesting option.  1/25 left.  5 mil buyout

Tex (35) - 8/180.  1/23 left

Tanaka (26)- 7/155.   5/111 left.  

Ellisbury (31) - 7/153.  5/106 with a 5mil buy out of a 2021 team option

McCann (31) - 5/85.  3/52 left

Headley (31) - 4/52.  3/39

Gardner (31) - 4/52.  3/38.5 w an option.  2mil buyout.

Miller (30) - 4/36.  3/27

Baltimore

Jones (29) - 6/85/5.  3/52

Ubaldo (31) - 4/50. 2/26.5

Hardy (32) - 3/40. 2/26.5 with a vesting option and 2m buyout. 

Tampa

Longoria (29) - 15/144.5.  7/108.  team option with 5mil buyout.

Boston

Pedroia (31) - 6/85.  6/85 

Pablo (28) - 5/95.  4/72.5 plus team opt w 5mil

Porcello (26) - 4/82.5.  4/82.5

Ramirez (31) - 4/80 and vesting option.  3/68.  

Castillo (27) - 7/72.5.  5/60

AL Central

KC

Vargas (32) - 4/32.  2/16.5

Infante (33) - 4/30.  2/16.  Team option w 2mil buyout.  

Minny

Mauer (32) - 8/184. 3/69

Hughes (29) - 5/58.  4/49

Santana (32) - 4/55. 4/40.  1mil buyout of a team option

Cleveland

Kipnis (28) - 6/52.5.  4/35 w 2.5 buyout of a team option.  

CWS

Abreu (28) - 6/68.  4/50

Robertson (30) 4/46. 3/37

Detroit

Cabrera (32) - 8/240 with 2 vesting options.  starts in 2016

Verlander (32) - 10/220.  4/112 w a vesting option

Kinsler (33) - 10/96.5. 2/25 with two team options and a 5mil buyout.

Sanchez (31) - 5/80. 2/34 with a team option and 5mil buyout

Vmart (36) - 4/60. 3/54

5/30 still owed to texas for Fielder. 

AL West

Texas

Fielder (31) - 9/214.  5/120 - 30 from detroit.  5/90.

Hamels (31) - 7/159. 3/70.  6mil buyout of  a team option

Choo (32) - 7/130.  5/102

Andrus (26) 8/118.  7/103 w/ vesting option

Houston

<20mil of guaranteed salary committed to 2017 and beyond.  

LAA

Albert (35) - 10/240.  6/165

Trout (23) - 6/145. 5/138

Hamilton - 2/53 left.  

Seattle

Cano (32) - 10/240.  8/192

Hernandez (29) - 7/175.  4/110 with a team option.  no buyout

Seager (27) - 7/100.  6/96.  team option. no buyout.

Cruz (34) - 5/57.  3/43

Oakland

biggest commitment is butler 2/23.  Otherwise nothing.  

So that's the AL.  I'll add the NL later. 

A few observations:

Toronto is not nearly as bad as I thought they'd be

The Yankees are worse than I expected.  They are gonna be eating a ton of salary soon.

Boston has a decent amount of dead weight for a last place team

The twins have more than I expected. 

Detroit's situation is a hot mess.  They also have a horrible farm system.  

Texas has a fair amount of money tied up.  

The halos are fine.  Adding some additional payroll wouldn't kill us.  

Seattle has more committed than we do, but they aren't that bad either

Houston and Cleveland look to be in the catbird seat.  Houston with their position players and Cle with their pitching.  

Weaver and Wilson's contracts could make the Angels situation look worse. But their deals , along with Hamilton's are relatively short term.  Trouts deal is pretty much a bargain. That leaves Albert's deal as the only albatross, long term.  Compared to some of the other org's, We are in fairly good shape going forward.

It's going to look a lot better when Hamilton's money drops off.

I didn't realize that the Yankees had that much tied up either. Detroit is in salary hell.

They also have CC Sabthia(25 mil), teixeira(22 mil), Beltran(15 mil) coming off the books after 2016. So around 62 mil just from those 3 players. And Arod coming off the books in 2017.

They will basically have 80+ million to spend. lulz

Edited by Poozy

Personally i think we need to add. I dont want to any more than anyone else, but theres no help frm the farm, and i dont see us having the pieces tontrade to fix much, not to mention it weakens us in other areas.

Not sure whos realistic to grab. Id still like upton personally. Wouldnt mind revisiting the bruce rumor. Im not as high on heyward as some of you. But somethijgs gotta give.

Its hard to believe Teixera's 8 year contract is coming to an end. Seems like just yesterday he left the Angels which led to getting Trout.

That is pretty crazy. I still remember I was pretty bummed when we lost Kotchman, I watched him grow through the organization but I knew what a good trade it was. That short porch in Yankee stadium has helped him, I don't think he would have done well had he stayed an Angel. Gold glove, switch hitting power first baseman are a very rare commodity.

Looking at the league as a whole, the Angels don't look that bad. If you add in Weaver and Wilson they probably drop to the worst third, but considering they only have one more year the team looks in the middle of the back and will look better once Hamilton's contract is done. Of course by then we could have another albatross contract....

I wouldn't be surprised if Arte bites the bullet and swallows a year of salary tax and goes all in on Price or Cueto and Cespedes or Heyward.

Agree with Perez as main catcher. I like his game a lot.  Just don't know if Bandy is ready. hope so, cuz it plugs up one more hole. @ 3b i really like Cowart's defense. I just hope he can hit enough to make it worth letting Freese go. Anytime we can fill holes within,great. Left field is the position they really need to target someone early in the offseason. Preferably someone who can leadoff, get on base, run. And with enough athleticism not to be a defensive liability.

Edited by greginpsca

Zobrist will be expensive and hold, but would be a good buy as he could be placed at 2B, LF, maybe 3B depending on who else we acquire, or as insurance if any in-house prospects flop.

Think this team needs a true UT player in the mold of Zobrist, Holt, Solarte, Harrison. Someone who can hold down a position if our Plan A struggles.

I'm liking the Zobrist idea, he will be expensive but seems like the type of player that would age well. If they could get Zobrist for 2nd, Solarte from SD to be the utility guy, let Freese walk and let Cowart and Kubitza battle it out for 3rd. See if we could get the D-backs to bite on a trade of Santiago and Nate Smith for Pollock and then focus on the bullpen and getting a front line starter if Arte is willing to spend the money.

1. Pollock

2. Zobrist

3. Trout

4. Pujols

5. Calhoun

6. Cron

7. Aybar

8. Kubitza/Cowart

9. Perez/Bandy

I'm liking the Zobrist idea, he will be expensive but seems like the type of player that would age well. If they could get Zobrist for 2nd, Solarte from SD to be the utility guy, let Freese walk and let Cowart and Kubitza battle it out for 3rd. See if we could get the D-backs to bite on a trade of Santiago and Nate Smith for Pollock and then focus on the bullpen and getting a front line starter if Arte is willing to spend the money.

1. Pollock

2. Zobrist

3. Trout

4. Pujols

5. Calhoun

6. Cron

7. Aybar

8. Kubitza/Cowart

9. Perez/Bandy

We missed the boat on that one I think.  Pollock is having a 7 WAR season with 37 sbs and gold glove defense in CF.  

Also, I have said it many times, but it doesn't make sense to pay for a skill and then not use it.  It'd be like trading for Simmons and putting him at 1b.  Az isn't going to care that we aren't going to use him in CF.  They'd want the gold glove CFer return for him regardless.  

Pollock is worth a front line starter right now.  It would be Richards or Santiago/Newcomb.  No thank you.