• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Redsox Fill GM Opening..(Hazen was interviewed for Angels job)

Homebrewer

Jed Hoyer GM to Theo Epstien PBO  

Two experienced guys are better than one, right?

You know the mystery guy in the Angels organization is John Carpino.  His title is President, not President of Baseball Operations.  We see or hear very little about him, but I assume that the GM, Scioscia, the CFO, Tim Mead, and a few others report to him.  I'm not sure how much baseball background he has, but it's usually Arte and Carpino who interview GM candidates, and they probably make all the final decisions regarding a manager.  Is this how you guys see it, and who knows more about Carpino, his background and exactly what he's responsible for?

Hey Chuck, have you ever talked to Carpino, can you shed any insight on this subject?

Edited by tomsred

Okay, I found a little more in a detailed biography of Carpino.  According to that he should have nothing to do with baseball operations, but only all other aspects of managing the team.  So why does he show up when hiring a GM, or at a press conference discussing Hamilton, or during big contract deals like Pujols and Hamilton?

Dipoto screwed up by leaving the Angels. One of these days he'll realize it as a great opportunity he quit on. Angels would have had to eat over $15 million to fire Scioscia. Dipoto was making peanuts ... Arte doesn't lose a dime by letting him quit. Scioscia has a history of winning ... Dipoto not so much.

Scioscia making $5 million a season ... Dipoto is making not so much. In the real world the GM's income would triple the managers. So those of you who think Dipoto should have complete control of the team and its philosophy need to rethink it a little.

Salas is actually very perplexing.

The guy has a 71/11 Ks/BBs ratio in 60.2 innings, very closer like, and a solid WHIP under 1.20. He pitches often like a guy who belongs in the 7th inning. But other times, looks like one of the last guys in the pen.

This is the maddening thing about him. I have seen him pitch like he has closer stuff, and I have seen him throw de facto batting practice. You never know what you are going to get.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I think bullpens by nature are relatively inconsistent.  There are about a 15-20 guys who are consistently reliable scattered around the leagues.  But most teams struggle to get consistent performances out of their pen personnel.  My theory is that they pitch irregularly, they get shuffled between roles, and young guys come up and go down with some regularity.  The teams that thrive get guys into known positions as to the innings they are used, and how long they are used.  It's kind of like give them a simple task, repeat and rinse, give them the same task, repeat and rinse.  It must drive most managers and pitching coaches a little crazy trying to keep them contributing, and confident in the abilities.

The only reliever that I would classify as consistently reliable this year on the Angels is Street.  And he has a singular and known task, and is pretty much used almost exactly the same each time he is needed.  The rest of them, including Smith this year, are sometimes looking pretty decent, then they have a stretch where the wheels fall off for some period of time. 

Edited by tomsred