• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can we trade Hamilton for Torii?

I admit to being OK with letting Torii go, although I thought he deserved at least a one or two year offer and that he would have really helped the team staying for another year. I wasn't crazy about the Hamilton signing, although liked the idea of his bat in the lineup. That said, I'm really worried about him as an addition to the team. Hamilton started last year very hot but since about late May or June of last year he's been erratic at best. From all accounts he's a bit of a head-case (a fundamentalist and recovered drug addict...great combo there).

I miss Torii. I miss his presence on the team, his heart. To be honest I'd happily trade Hamilton and his 5/$125MM contract for Torii and his 2/$26MM one.

I still think that Hamilton will out-hit Torii this year, but it won't be close to worth his contract. This is another move that makes me question Dipoto's wisdom.

I admit to being OK with letting Torii go, although I thought he deserved at least a one or two year offer and that he would have really helped the team staying for another year. I wasn't crazy about the Hamilton signing, although liked the idea of his bat in the lineup. That said, I'm really worried about him as an addition to the team. Hamilton started last year very hot but since about late May or June of last year he's been erratic at best. From all accounts he's a bit of a head-case (a fundamentalist and recovered drug addict...great combo there).

I miss Torii. I miss his presence on the team, his heart. To be honest I'd happily trade Hamilton and his 5/$125MM contract for Torii and his 2/$26MM one.

I still think that Hamilton will out-hit Torii this year, but it won't be close to worth his contract. This is another move that makes me question Dipoto's wisdom.

Ask this question in september.  I am willing to bet by september we would all be happy with Hamilton over Torii.  That doesn't make Hamilton's long term contract a good move, but just for this year, I am willing to bet Hamilton has a better year.

With both Pujols and Trumbo hitting well, Hamilton will get it together, and then watch out for that part of the lineup. That said, I think had the Angels known they actually could dump Wells, they might have kept Torii, and I'd have been happy about that. Bourjous looked good last night, though.

Chuck, relax. It isn't a real trade scenario. I'm just saying that I miss Torii's presence and expressing frustration at the comparative values per dollar:

5/$125MM for Hamilton

2/$26MM for Hunter

Even if Hamilton out-hits Hunter--which I think he will--it likely won't be to such a degree that it makes that contract relative to what Torii would have likely agreed to to stay in Anaheim (2/$20MM?).

I know you don't like WAR and other advanced metrics, but $125 million equates to 25-30 WAR in value. I have a hard time imagining that Hamilton will come close to earning that.

Chuck, relax. It isn't a real trade scenario. I'm just saying that I miss Torii's presence and expressing frustration at the comparative values per dollar:

5/$125MM for Hamilton

2/$26MM for Hunter

Even if Hamilton out-hits Hunter--which I think he will--it likely won't be to such a degree that it makes that contract relative to what Torii would have likely agreed to to stay in Anaheim (2/$20MM?).

I know you don't like WAR and other advanced metrics, but $125 million equates to 25-30 WAR in value. I have a hard time imagining that Hamilton will come close to earning that.

Junky I have to agree with you on this. While I do think having Hamilton in our line-up is superior to hunter, I can't help but think that the money spent cost us on the pitching side of things. I look at our starting pitching and realize we really need another Weaver quality starter and we would be a much better team.

Hunter was criticised for his age and last year was attributed to a break out year but in watching Tori hit last year he really figured something out. He was no longer trying to be the pull hitter hitting for power. This guy was consistently using all part of the field to hit singles and doubles and he has carried that over to this year and probably will the next few years. He gets it.  He knows he can no longer be what he used to be. A lot of hitter towards the end of their careers don't. He became a much better hitter last year by making that key adjustment. He won't put up the same numbers as Hamilton still but he would have been a valuable part of our offense for a significantly lower price tag. Plus I always felt his leadership in the clubhouse was one of the best in MLB. No knock on Hamilton but I don't think he will provide that for us.

There weren't any Weaver type pitchers on the market. And the Halos didn't go for Hamilton until it looked like we lost Grienke. And Hunter signing for twenty million is only speculation. You could criticize the club for not making a controlling offer in order to get a draft pick

Trade Hamilton for Torii then trade Vargas for Morales and Saunders  B)

5/$125MM for Hamilton

2/$26MM for Hunter

Who said I don't like WAR or other advanced metrics?

As far as the money, Hamilton earned it based on his ability and performance over the past 6 years. Again, most here didn't want to go two years with Torii because of his age and the fact that he had a poor first half, great second half. He was average with us offensively the 4 years prior. 

Love his smile, his infectious personality, but let's not go overboard here. 

Who said I don't like WAR or other advanced metrics?

As far as the money, Hamilton earned it based on his ability and performance over the past 6 years. Again, most here didn't want to go two years with Torii because of his age and the fact that he had a poor first half, great second half. He was average with us offensively the 4 years prior. 

Love his smile, his infectious personality, but let's not go overboard here. 

:huh:

Hamilton may not reach 25 WAR in next 5 years but he might get close. It's hard to get "fair" value in free agency. Until last year, by WAR, Hunter never gave us $18 million in value (his AAV.) Wins are more expensive in free agency, just a fact. Sometimes you get lucky and find a deal, but that's rare.

The final wins to push a good team over the top are also the most expensive. Hamilton could easily produce 4-5 WAR in 4 if not 5 years of his contracy. 20 WAR, for an already good team, is very valuable.

Hunter is not declining so far, but his bat speed is suppose to decline at his age. DiPoto was making a very reasonable projection about a 37 year old player. Players just don't get better in their late 30s. Will this continue? Don't know but Father Time says no. We shall see.

I'm still good with this decision. I miss Torii. I really liked him, still do. Today I'd rather have the 32 year old with a career high ISO over the 37 year old with a high BA. ISO, i think, will be more valuable to us in the postseason and big games. But we shall see.