• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jeff Mathis

happybat4

Batting .114 How is this guy in the majors. I hope he Gives Mikey a portion of that money as he made his career.

Considering he is still playing post Angel career despite his horrible offense is it possible that you are less qualified to critique a catcher than the professionals?  Sounds like Mathis still playing disrupts your narrative that Scioscia is a moron. 

I never really had a problem with Mathis on the roster.  I had a big problem with Mathis playing over Napoli as much as he did.  But a defensive first catcher is PERFECT for a backup catching position.  Carlos Perez is a perfect fit as a backup catcher.  So will Jett Bandy.

Iannetta used to be a perfect fit as a platoon catcher. 

I don't get the defense argument. Did you guys forget  his throws to second base? Or should I say...center field?

How about his "I think I'm a Molina, so I'll try to throw to first and pick a guy off"

Only problem, Jeff nearly took out the 1B coach 8/10 times.

The comparison to Joe Mauer was laughable. Mauer #1 prospect...and Mathis #2.

Mauer has a batting crown, Mathis can't hit water if he fell outta a friggin' boat.

Scioscia's in the company of esteemed Jeffrey Loria.   Awesome.

Ha.  Yeah...The Blue Jays' record was 6 or 7 games worse than the previous year before they had him.  The Marlins got him, and promptly also shaved a few wins off of their previous year's record.  They recovered last year, and now have bottomed out again this year.

So forgive me for not seeing how Mathis' continuing presence on Major League rosters means that he SHOULD be there.

If Mathis is still on a major league roster, its fitting that its with the Miami Marlins, the organization whose sole goal is to fleece the public and taxpayers.  They certainly aren't about winning.

They probally tell Mathis he helps them win but they probally actually have Mathis there to help them lose for a better draft pick.

If my math is correct the 27 outs Jeff Mathis has a firm hand in creating are 9 times more valuable than 3 he gives up with bat.#angels

I am not sure what the rest of the numbers for his career are, but here is the breakdown for the 2015 Marlins:

Marlins overall record: 52 - 79, .397

Games Jeff Mathis has started 5 - 18, .217

Games started by other catchers: 47 - 61, .435

I fully understand these numbers cannot be looked at in a vacuum. Things like who the starting pitcher is for the Marlins and the opponent have to be considered. But, for whatever reason, the 2015 Marlins win far less games when Mathis is the starting catcher.  

Does Mathis have enough service time for a MLB pension?? If not he should be real close.This is more than likely why he is hanging around.

According to a piece from Business Insider in 2011:

MLB players must play 43 days in the majors to earn a minimum $34,000 annual pension plan.  Just one day in the majors gets them lifetime healthcare coverage.  After 10 years in the big leagues, benefits grow to $100,000 annually. 

According to Baseball Reference, Jeff Mathis has earned over $10 million in his career. 

Edited by Coachbulldog

I am not sure what the rest of the numbers for his career are, but here is the breakdown for the 2015 Marlins:

Marlins overall record: 52 - 79, .397

Games Jeff Mathis has started 5 - 18, .217

Games started by other catchers: 47 - 61, .435

I fully understand these numbers cannot be looked at in a vacuum. Things like who the starting pitcher is for the Marlins and the opponent have to be considered. But, for whatever reason, the 2015 Marlins win far less games when Mathis is the starting catcher.

Just a wild guess but having a lineup slot filled with a player batting .114 might have something to do with the lower winning percentage.

According to a piece from Business Insider in 2011:

MLB players must play 43 days in the majors to earn a minimum $34,000 annual pension plan.  Just one day in the majors gets them lifetime healthcare coverage.  After 10 years in the big leagues, benefits grow to $100,000 annually. 

According to Baseball Reference, Jeff Mathis has earned over $10 million in his career. 

Once he gets that 10 years service time, He will probably call it quits. He is real close, probably within a year or so.