• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next Season

Stradling

In addition to what Wicked said, Perez cannot play every day behind the plate.   They can sign a veteran mentor for Perez and Bandy.

Also, Cespedes is a clutch hitter wherever he's played.   He does take some interesting routes, but he also stops runners from taking an extra base with that cannon of an arm.

I do like the other thoughts. 

We should never rely on lefties for real power (30-40 HRs).   It just won't happen in Angel Stadium.   Hackilton going HR less at Angel Stadium in 2013 = proof positive.     The power must be mostly righty oriented. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Keeping Weaver and CJ Wilson just stunts growth of younger pitchers so "trading" them went with thread of developing the younger pitchers (Skaggs, Newcomb...etc.)

Some may actually trade for them too if the Angels pay a good portion of their salaries.

Pujols still has value as his 30+ homers and rbi total show.  Plus no team will trade for him either.  Hopefully he'll slide into full time DH and be like Big Poppy.

To Angel Oracle - catcher is a tough call.  There really aren't any free agent catchers that look that enticing and don't want Angels to deplete minors of top talent (if they traded for Dee Gordon already). 

Makes sense to bring in a mentor for Perez to limit Perez' innings.

Cespedes worries me.  Why has every team traded him so soon after acquiring him?  Plus I think the Mets will go $$$$$$$ crazy to sign him.

Heyward comes from a great organization (Braves) and if the Cardinals traded for him that means a lot.  Under stand right vs. left bat but Heyward is 4 years younger than Cespedes and much better defender.  Agreed he doesn't have Cespedes' power though which is enticing.

Keeping Weaver and CJ Wilson just stunts growth of younger pitchers so "trading" them went with thread of developing the younger pitchers (Skaggs, Newcomb...etc.)

Some may actually trade for them too if the Angels pay a good portion of their salaries.

Pujols still has value as his 30+ homers and rbi total show.  Plus no team will trade for him either.  Hopefully he'll slide into full time DH and be like Big Poppy.

To Angel Oracle - catcher is a tough call.  There really aren't any free agent catchers that look that enticing and don't want Angels to deplete minors of top talent (if they traded for Dee Gordon already). 

You cant just trade anyone you want.  Even if you found a team willing to slot Weaver and Wilson into their rotation whats the point of doing that if the youre paying nearly their entire salary?  I really hope you arent expecting to get something of value in return for them either.  

Sign Price or Cueto, and trade Shoe and or Santiago.

I like this idea. I hope Shoe and Santiago finish strong to boost their value. Trade either of them for another hitter, weather at 2B or LF. Or catcher. 

This team needs a front line starter. Richards, Heaney are good #2's, Weaver is a backend starter at best. We need Cueto or Price to lead the rotation, then trade either Shoe or Santiago (I prefer keeping Shoe as I think he's a good #4 guy ahead of Weaver). 

Does  weaver not have a no trade clause ? And CJ we'd have to pay to make go away.  Its not a mid 90's video game guys.  And man, you guys are down on Richards.  Im more then willing to give him next year to prove himself. Coming off that injury, I expected that it would probably be tough for him to return to '14 form.  I think he can.  The stuff IS there and he's still young. Geez. I mean it obvious when you watch what he's got vs. Heaney.  I like Heaney but in terms of stuff its not the same.   Dee Gordon, Im almost tempted to want him just to watch AO self implode when he goes back to being a shitty baseball player.  Speed goes away and that is literally all Dee Gordan has.  I would love to see us get Heyward.  He's just the type of FA you want to sign and he fills a need for us well.  Im also a fan of the idea of signing Wieters.   

Edited by UndertheHalo

IMO, these first two are musts:

1.  Sign Price or Cuetos.  This team needs a legit ace.

2.  Sign Cespedes, Upton or Heyman.

After that, there is a lot that can be done via trading to improve 2B and/or C.  It would not be difficult to turn this team around for 2016, but Arte has to be willing to go over the luxury tax for a year or two.

There are a few few important things to consider regarding the luxury tax, and our payroll.

1) The luxury tax limit is going to go up dramatically once the collective bargaining agreement is updated. There is no way the players will stand for anything less than a huge increase.

2) If the Angels are not going to spend money then they are going to lose. It's our competitive advantage. We play in the #2 market in the country, we have a top 5 television deal. What we don't have is a farm system ready to produce quality major leaguers, or a long list of expendable players that other teams will want in trade.

Houston has a significantly better core of young talent than anyone else in this division. Texas has a better team, and Oakland is always more efficient with their money. Fortunately Seattle sucks, but aside from us having Mike Trout, everything I'd say about them mirrors the Angels current situation. 

We absolutely need a catcher, a second basemen, an outfielder and a third basemen. We could use a front of the rotation starter and another reliable arm in the pen.

We have an abundance of seemingly mid rotation pitching, so we could put CJ in the pen, and use another arm to try and fill a hole with a cheap, young, league average player.

With the knowledge I feel we've gained from big spending before I suggest we focus on two things in free agency: youth and limited risk.

To me this means you spend the money on Jason Hayward. He's not the bat we'd want, but he's more likely to get better than fall off a cliff. You then spend significantly less money on Matt Wieters, and see if you can get Kendrick to come back on a short term deal. You don't blow the bank on Price, Upton or Cespedes because the risk is too high, IMO.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

Agreed on Cueto or Price, plus no draft pick lost.

Question is, how high in years/dollars will the competition go to sign them?   Is say 8 years/$240 million wise vs. say 6 years/$175 million? 

Cueto is 29 and Price is 30.  Both are elite pitchers.  I would imagine it would take 8/240 million with a player opt out after year four to sign one of them.

You don't blow the bank on Price, Upton or Cespedes because the risk is too high, IMO.

I can understand that, but if you are going to have a rotation that doesn't have a legit ace, you need to really step it up with making sure you get some serious offense upgrades at LF, 2B, 3B and C.

The Angels traded Hamilton so why can't they trade CJ and Weaver?

Theres a few things wrong with this statement

1) They are still paying nearly all of his salary.  Hamilton was traded out of anger by Arte Moreno, because of his drug use.  There was no benefit to trading Hamilton other than getting him out of the clubhouse, and his replacements have not done any better.

2) Weaver and Wilson dont have that drug use problem.  Trading them and paying their salaries will accomplish nothing.  It could be even worse if they find some sort of consistency for their new team, which they probably would knowing the Angels luck.  

3) Like I already said, you wont get anything of value in return for either of them.  All you would be doing is paying them to go play somewhere else.  

Cespedes will likely not get the bank that Heyward will.

But what Cespedes brings is a) not being worn down by many MLB seasons (only 4),  B) clutch bat wherever he's played, and c) an arm to stop runners from taking the extra base. 

I do like what Heyward would bring here, as he isn't a lefty HR hitter who would be swallowed up by the giant RF wall like Hackilton was.

But at what salary will he ultimately sign for?

With so many decisions to make about current MLB players and prospects alike, the time is NOW for Arte Moreno to hire that Director of Operations and entrust him and the new GM to initiate ALL personnel moves, with Arte ONLY signing off on them.

No more Wells, Pujols, or Hackilton fiascos!   

Edited by Angel Oracle

It's a yearly tradition for me to suggest trading Scioscia.

The Marlins and Redsox both have nice catching prospects, and at least Boston admits it needs a manager.

1. Blake Swihart, Red Sox

Though he didn't become a regular catcher until 2010, he's now the game's top prospect at the position, with tools and athleticism that call to mind a young Buster Posey. Swihart makes consistent hard contact from both sides of the plate and earns plus grades for his throwing and receiving. His power took a step forward in 2014, when he threw out 46 percent of basestealers and didn't commit a single passed ball in 97 games.

8. J.T. Realmuto, Marlins

After he set national high school records with 88 hits and 119 RBIs in 2010, it took Realmuto a while to adjust to pro pitching, because he was focusing on making the transition from shortstop to catcher. Realmuto has become a solid receiver with a strong arm, as well as a line-drive hitter with doubles power and surprising baserunning savvy.

For these and other top catching prospects:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/107044448/2015-prospect-watch-top-10-catchers

Is Zobrist a FA ? Also, what is threshold (place in the standings) where we don't need to give up a 1st rounder if we sign a guy that was not traded.  I've liked the idea of bringing in Matt Wieters quite a bit.  Also Chris Davis could be a solid option to platoon with Albert at 1b/DH.  The priority target needs to be Jayson Heyward, if its even possible to get him away from the Cardinals.

Edited by UndertheHalo