• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lol... SEC Fans

I think they thought it read "Do schools pay college football players?" instead of "Should schools pay college football players?"

what's funny is there were only a couple of us here that argued they shouldn't be paid while everyone else said otherwise.

what's funny is there were only a couple of us here that argued they shouldn't be paid while everyone else said otherwise.

Considering that colleges, and the NCAA, make tons of money off their labors, I see no problem with a small stipend to cover a few extras for athletes while they are in school. If the NCAA implemented something like this the pay would have to be uniform from school to school within each level, so that players wouldn't decide on a school by the amount of the stipend. For instance, a certain level for the so-called BCS conferences, a second tier for mid-majors, etc.

I've heard this argument from everywhere but I don't get it. If there are billions of dollars being made off these athletes why isn't someone besides the NCAA making it? Why hasn't Trump started a league for football that drafts right out of high school? Or basketball for that matter? No one is forcing these kids to go to college and play sports. This is especially true in basketball. They can go to Europe and play. They don't because they are getting something from the NCAA experience that is more valuable than what the market (in dollars) will bare.

Considering that colleges, and the NCAA, make tons of money off their labors, I see no problem with a small stipend to cover a few extras for athletes while they are in school. If the NCAA implemented something like this the pay would have to be uniform from school to school within each level, so that players wouldn't decide on a school by the amount of the stipend. For instance, a certain level for the so-called BCS conferences, a second tier for mid-majors, etc.

People always forget that the services these students are being given costs $30k/year or more at most of the universities they play for.

Not only do they get a free education, room and board, and meals.  They also get world class strength and conditioning trainers, equipment, etc.

People always forget that the services these students are being given costs $30k/year or more at most of the universities they play for.

Not only do they get a free education, room and board, and meals.  They also get world class strength and conditioning trainers, equipment, etc.

I'm not sure meals are covered out of season.  And even in season, they get training table, but their stipend for all other meals is enough to get Carl's Jr.  At least, that was the case 14 years ago when I interacted with these guys in school

I think the problem is this money is being made by the coaches and the universities but it's not really benefitting other sports.

Here is what I would like to see if they aren't going to give money to the players.  Pool it and spread it around to other sports programs.

I would also like to see money set aside for the student atheletes.  Lets be honest, they might get a free education, but they aren't really encouraged to get all they can out of it.  They must train, travel, study game tape and plays and obviously practice.  I think there should be some monies set aside for the kids that end up not making it in the pros.

I think the problem is this money is being made by the coaches and the universities but it's not really benefitting other sports.

Here is what I would like to see if they aren't going to give money to the players.  Pool it and spread it around to other sports programs.

I would also like to see money set aside for the student atheletes.  Lets be honest, they might get a free education, but they aren't really encouraged to get all they can out of it.  They must train, travel, study game tape and plays and obviously practice.  I think there should be some monies set aside for the kids that end up not making it in the pros.

For most BCS schools, the money made by football buttresses all the other sports, and allows for a balanced athletic department budget.  Outside of basketball, most sports operate at a loss

I'm not sure meals are covered out of season.  And even in season, they get training table, but their stipend for all other meals is enough to get Carl's Jr.  At least, that was the case 14 years ago when I interacted with these guys in school

Yeah, the scholarships they are given cover a daily meal stipend.  I think it mostly covers on campus cafeterias, etc.

So you think it should all go into the pocket of the coach?  Or the NCAA?

I think it should go to the sports that are earning the money.  This is why paying the kids is complicated.  Why should a kid in Crew a sport that loses money get paid the same as a kid in football that gains money hand over fist?  The universities if anything should spend it on the facilities and education.

I don't think a kid in crew should get paid, I think the program should be supported though.

They are.  The money generated from football (TV, ticket sales, merchandise, bowl payouts, donations, etc) goes into the athletic fund budget.  From this budget, all other sports are supported (paid for)