• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

if we got into the one game playoff, who do we start?

Mad5577

i know it is early, but it certainly looks like the Angels will be one of the two wild card spots.

in this case, who do we start? i assume Richards?

i wouldn't feel good at all if he has to go up against David Price for a one game elimination.

what do you guys think? 

"certainly looks like the Angels will be one of the two wild card spots"[/size]

2 games out of first in August...[/size]

Did you just start watching baseball this year?[/size]

It's 3 games out and Houston is a better team. It appears wild card is the route

Unless Weaver perfects the art of the knuckleball over the next 2 months or somehow magically gains an extra 10mph on his fastball, there's not a chance in hell he should pitch in a 1-game playoff, or even in a 5 game series. He's vacillated between competence and being DFA worthy all year - that's not someone I want starting a playoff game, grit and prior history be damned. 

Right now Richards is the clear choice to start any elimination game. A 5 game series would shake out like this:

Richards

Santiago

Heaney

Shoemaker( or Richards on short rest if we're facing elimination)

Richards/Santiago

I supposed you could swap Shoe out for Weaver if the former is struggling at the end of the year and the latter is pitching well.

Edited by WallyWorld

and for anyone who wants to make a case for Jered starting the WC game because he's a vet and he's earned it, just consider the prospect of him pitching against TOR or in Yankee Stadium. Game would be over by the 3rd inning.

Edited by WallyWorld

Ideally Richards but if you're fighting for a wild card spot until the end Of the year you don't get much of a choice than to go with whoever's turn it is. Or turn it into a bullpen game as mentioned. Go with Santiago until the 3rd or 4th if he gets in trouble turn to Rasmus or Weaver for 2 innings then go to Gott/Bedrosian/Smith/Street

We're not going to get _that_ much chance to adjust.  If we're close to 1st coming down to the wire, you gotta try and go for 1st - avoiding a 50-50 coinflip game is more important than setting the rotation to put your 'ace' up in that game, especially since we don't really have an ace.

Ideally Richards but if you're fighting for a wild card spot until the end Of the year you don't get much of a choice than to go with whoever's turn it is. Or turn it into a bullpen game as mentioned. Go with Santiago until the 3rd or 4th if he gets in trouble turn to Rasmus or Weaver for 2 innings then go to Gott/Bedrosian/Smith/Street

Which brings up a great point. The Angels REALLY need someone to step into the 7th inning middle relief role over the next 2 months. Maybe it's Rasmus. 

Yea, my thought is we will have to fight tooth and nail until the last weekend of the season if we aren't in first place. I am comfortable with anyone of four starters going in the wild card game. Shoe seems to have a knack for pitching well against great pitching. Richards has the ability to shut down teams and he has dominating stuff. Hector has pitched well and since this is all or nothing, you pitch him and then go to Johnny Bullpen. And Heaney has great demeanor and really good stuff. I haven't seen enough of Trop to have faith in him. With Weaver, who knows. He pitched so well for a stretch after we wrote him off, two different times. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with Shoe, there is just something about his grit.

Ive already addressed this and we are 2 back in the loss column. Wins can be made up.

Ok, but we are three games out. I completely agree with you that we can win three more games than them for the remainder of the season and win the division, but that doesn't change the fact that we are 3 games out.