• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Greinke: Fractured collar bone

Then we have people who have played and understand baseball and then we have people that shouldn't leave the kitchen.

If this were the Angels vs the Rangers, this thread would have a much different vibe.

I get it. Because they both have DH's ? Could that be a multi role position that encompasses fighting ? Similar to enforcers in hockey ? Good point.

Btw, MLB The Show doesn't count.

I thought this was Angelswin.com. What's with all the Dodger sympathy?

I didn't realize being an Angels fan meant I wasn't allowed to think that Carlos Quentin was being a tool here.

@Dodgers: "I never hit him on purpose. He always seem to think I'm hitting him on purpose, but that's not the case." -Zack Greinke

So stop hitting him?

Or you know, Quentin could stop crowding the plate and sticking his elbow out there, which is what has led to him being HBP so much over the years. That's going to lead to being HBP more.

Sorry Katie, but Quentin has been a known plate diver for years.  He gets hit by pitches all the time. 

I love how people want to insinuate that somehow saying something means you should get your collarbone broken.

I'm no Dodger fan, I hate them in fact, but this is on Quentin and he is going to pay dearly because I bet the league is going to come down hard on him.

This and this.

Oh it was totally retaliation. The teams hate each other

Right, that full count pitch with 1 out in the 6th inning of a 1 run game that hit him on the shoulder definitely was on purpose :rolleyes:

Well, then he'd be a pu$$y with no broken bones

Greinke deserved what he got. He threw a fastball up and in at a guy he supposedly has history with, then afer hitting him he walks towards the plate even though he knows Quentin is coming at him....Maybe next time he will take the "pu$$y route" as you like to call it.

I think now Greinke looks like more of a tool because not only did he throw at him (again) but he tried to fight him and ended up with a broken collar bone...cant imagine that earned him too much "respect" around the league

But there really isn't anything to indicate a history between them, outside of Carlos Quentin's fantasy land.

Greinke has hit him twice before, neither one in a situation where you would be trying to hit someone(much like last night's). Nor does there seem to be an obvious reason for Greinke to have it out for Quentin.

Here's the list of all the pitchers who have hit Quentin(again):

BHoa55nCYAABSby.png

Quentin is just a guy who gets hit a lot, because of the way he stands at the plate. Quentin himself admitted as much.

Oh, and in before "lolz why is u a dodgerz fan!!!???"

Again, here's Quentin "crowding the plate"

And then as the pitch is delivered, he moves up closer to the plate. Here's his footstrike, the point that matters the most in terms of getting that pitch off your body or not:

Edit: Can't get that picture to work for whatever reason, so here's the link to it:

http://www.chadmoriyama.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/CarlosQuentinFootstrike.jpg

And not surprisingly, here is a chart of his HBP since 2008:

QuentinHBP.png

He actually is out over the plate so much, he's been hit by pitches that might have been called strikes otherwise.

And from the article that graph comes from:

This is going to be harder to see from the plot, but there are 25 HBPs represented there that were between -1.0 — the inside corner to an RHB — and -1.5 on the horizontal axis. The labels on the x axis are in feet, so you could otherwise say that Quentin was hit by 25 pitches that were recorded to be no further than six inches off the inner part of the plate.

I asked Zimmerman about the frequency of HBPs in that area. According to Jeff, 0.02% of all pitches thrown by Major League hurlers in the -1.0 to -1.5 range result in a hit by pitch, or 2 HBPs per 10,000 pitches thrown in that area. For Quentin, 0.4% of all piches in that range result in an HBP, or 40 per 10,000 pitches.

Quentin’s rate of being hit by pitches within six inches of the inside corner is 20 times higher than the Major League average. It is, at the minimum, a little hard to have sympathy for the guy.

For the record, last night’s pitch from Greinke was plotted at -1.504, so it is just barely outside of that sample area. It was certainly inside and off the plate, but most batters would not have been hit by that pitch.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/carlos-quentins-hbp-zone/

And then as the pitch is delivered, he moves up closer to the plate. Here's his footstrike, the point that matters the most in terms of getting that pitch off your body or not:

CarlosQuentinFootstrike.jpg

And not surprisingly, here is a chart of his HBP since 2008:

QuentinHBP.png

He actually is out over the plate so much, he's been hit by pitches that might have been called strikes otherwise.

And from the article that graph comes from:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/carlos-quentins-hbp-zone/

No footstrike pic.