• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia is Sporting News' AL Mgr. of the Yr.

T.G.

Pointing out the total number of bunts each team had does nothing without context.

He actually brought more context than you did.  At least he mentioned the team's worst hitter had the most sac bunts.

I'm sure you know the context of the other teams' bunts, including super manager Joe Maddon.

Edited by mtangelsfan

He actually brought more context than you did. At least he mentioned the team's worst hitter had the most sac bunts.

I'm sure you know the context of the other teams' bunts, including super manager Joe Maddon.

I wasn't the one bringing up the total number of sac bunts each team had... and thinking that proved something without context, though. Some bunts are justified. The one Scioscia called for sure wasn't.

Would you prefer delusional? Scioscia tried to sacrifice bunt, so he is a bad manager. Such a brilliant opinion and a fascinating conversation. Continue to tell us how bad he is, we will continue to tell you how wrong you are.

The 2014 had an uncharacteristically low number of sac bunts for a Scioscia-managed team. We had the best regular season record in baseball. Not a coincidence. After Dipoto took the pencil out of Scioscia's hands by getting rid of Frieri and Ibanez we played extremely well this year.

The biggest Scioscia issue was Josh Hamilton starting every day in the ALDS, which I strongly suspect was actually more of an Arte issue than a Scioscia issue. 

Edited by ScottLux

Here's where your logic fails...

Not all bunts are alike. Some bunts actually make sense. Not all bunts are bad.

Also, you are not even taking rosters into account (talent level of hitters). Or in-game situations and scenarios.

All I offered were a sarcastic look at the facts, that all teams bunt and many a lot more than the Angels do. No, I am not taking into account rosters because that would be pretty ****ing stupid. Even if you crunch all of the raw data you still come up with not a single ****ing yes or no whether a team should or should not bunt in any given situation over 6,000 plus plate appearances.

But I will be more than willing to wait for you to make that asinine plunge into a statistical hypothetical game situations and pull some prefabricated answer out of your ass why in all 29 times the Angels bunted it was the wrong decision. Because if Scioscia thought it was a good idea, it couldn't have been.

Please show your work.

All I offered were a sarcastic look at the facts, that all teams bunt and many a lot more than the Angels do. No, I am not taking into account rosters because that would be pretty ****ing stupid. Even if you crunch all of the raw data you still come up with not a single ****ing yes or no whether a team should or should not bunt in any given situation over 6,000 plus plate appearances.

But I will be more than willing to wait for you to make that asinine plunge into a statistical hypothetical game situations and pull some prefabricated answer out of your ass why in all 29 times the Angels bunted it was the wrong decision. Because if Scioscia thought it was a good idea, it couldn't have been.

Please show your work.

You're mean

Dipoto endorsed Scioscia as Manager of the Year:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/year-635556-dipoto-angels.html

His case for the honor...

First, Scioscia agreed to almost double the instances in which the Angels shift on defense. That helped turn the team from 24 runs below average defensively to 8.4 runs above and counting, with little other turnover to explain it.

“I would say the most notable and the easiest to see with the eye is the defensive shift,” Dipoto said. “It’s something we did a lot more this year than we have in the past.”

Baseball managers, it is known, do not have as much of an on-field impact as basketball coaches or football head coaches. They can affect only so much – they can only manage.

But not many managers would have batted right fielder Kole Calhoun, with 218 career at-bats to his name, atop the opening day order. And, even though the numbers show it’s the right thing to do, even fewer would have left 34-homer hitting Mike Trout second in the order all year long, because power guys are supposed to bat third or fourth.

Not many would have been willing to slot Howie Kendrick and Erick Aybar fourth and fifth for a good portion of the year. Almost nobody would have agreed to start a reliever every fifth day for a month, as the Angels have with Cory Rasmus.

Dipoto endorsed Scioscia for Manager of the Year, and he will surely get consideration.

Would you prefer delusional? Scioscia tried to sacrifice bunt, so he is a bad manager. Such a brilliant opinion and a fascinating conversation. Continue to tell us how bad he is, we will continue to tell you how wrong you are.

It was not the proper call. Scioscia bunts too often. As a whole Sosh is a great manager but he has his deficiencies. 

Your reply was to CF8 regarding the bunts. All I did was interject by saying that if you're going to bring up the total number of sac bunts each team had, shouldn't you at least offer some context? Are all rosters alike? Offenses? In-game situations and scenarios? Not all bunts are bad. It's just up to a manager to know when to apply it correctly.

The 3-1 bunt with Trout due up was (obviously) one of the worst managerial decisions you'll ever see as it pertains to the sac bunt. And that wasn't a mistake to him. He believed it was the right call. I don't think any smart/good manager does that.

Edited by Angels

Your reply was to CF8 regarding the bunts. All I did was interject by saying that if you're going to bring up the total number of sac bunts each team had, shouldn't you at least offer some context? Are all rosters alike? Offenses? In-game situations and scenarios? Not all bunts are bad. It's just up to a manager to know when to apply it correctly.

The 3-1 bunt with Trout due up was (obviously) one of the worst managerial decisions you'll ever see as it pertains to the sac bunt. And that wasn't a mistake to him. He believed it was the right call. I don't think any smart/good manager does that.

Scioscia was awarded for his managing of 162 games, not one plate appearance that you disagreed with in the playoffs. There is your big picture context.

He has his strengths and his weaknesses. But yeah. I don't think any good manager does that. Bunting on a 3-1 count was bad enough...but knowing your MVP was just going to get walked intentionally made it even worse. It was a double whammy in such an important moment of the game.

Scioscia was awarded for his managing of 162 games, not one plate appearance that you disagreed with in the playoffs. There is your big picture context.

Congrats on the award? But it still means nothing. Only the managers that have a lot of talent to work with have a chance to win this subjective award.

How do we know that the best manager in baseball wasn't someone that managed a lousy team?

Because the guy batting after the best player in the world was bound to get out. Kole should have been able to get the bunt down. By the way, before anyone goes crazy, I was against a bunt in that situation.

It could've worked out. Calhoun could've properly executed that bunt...and Pujols could've had a huge hit to bring in the go-ahead run. All of those things could've happened.

But it still wouldn't change the fact that it was one of the worst calls you'll ever see a manager make in regards to the sac bunt.

Edited by Angels

Congrats on the award? But it still means nothing. Only the managers that have a lot of talent to work with have a chance to win this subjective award.

How do we know that the best manager in baseball wasn't someone that managed a lousy team?

How many times did the manager on the lousy team have his guys bunt? I think that is how we will know.

It could've worked out. Calhoun could've properly executed that bunt...and Pujols could've had a huge hit to bring in the go-ahead run. All of those things could've happened.

But it still wouldn't change the fact that it was one of the worst calls you'll ever see a manager make in regards to the sac bunt.

Sure, we would absolutely be talking about it still if it worked out and we scored that run and won that game. Except we wouldn't be.

Of course we wouldn't be. But the fact that it was such a horrendous call that failed is the reason people are still talking about it.

Had it worked it would've been a horrendous call that worked, that's it. But Scioscia's horrible decision significantly decreased the odds of anything positive happening that inning.

He has his strengths and his weaknesses. But yeah. I don't think any good manager does that. Bunting on a 3-1 count was bad enough...but knowing your MVP was just going to get walked intentionally made it even worse. It was a double whammy in such an important moment of the game.

rain_man_wapner.jpg?w=500&h=204