• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Rasmus prepares for potential full-time starting gig

It's a Catch-22.

He has the pitch repertoire to be a starter. 

But, he was originally converted to a reliever because of concerns with endurance plus injuries.

Focus on making him a possible Wade Davis like dominant 8th inning guy?

Doesn't Davis also have 4 pitches in his repertoire, as a former starter?

Davis does max out about 2-3mph higher than Rasmus does (97 vs 94-95).

Edited by Angel Oracle

It's a Catch-22.

He has the pitch repertoire to be a starter. 

But, he was originally converted to a reliever because of concerns with endurance plus injuries.

Focus on making him a possible Wade Davis like dominant 8th inning guy?

Doesn't Davis also have 4 pitches in his repertoire, as a former starter?

Davis does max out about 2-3mph higher than Rasmus does (97 vs 94-95).

That happened a long time ago, I would not worry about it. He didn't show ANY fatigue in his starts that he went 4-5 innings. With his repertoire he needs to be a starter, period. 

I also like the idea. He would be just another option for us although I still think we should get a surer thing since Richards won't likely come back until the summer.

Don't know why people think Richards won't be back until summer. They originally said March-April is likely.

Rasmus needs to be stretched out for insurance purposes if nothing else. Even if he becomes a guy that can go five strong and occasionally gets you six innings, that would be huge for this team. I still would prefer we sign one big time arm, see how Wilson does to start the year, with Rasmus in the pen. Then if Wilson struggles then you put Rasmus in the rotation. If we do sign a good starting pitcher, I think you will see Santiago as the guy that gets bumped to the pen when everyone is healthy.

If they're gonna give out a big contract, give it to a young player and not a 30 year old pitcher with a lot of mileage on his arm.

Sign someone like Masterson on a one year deal. The top of the rotation is fine and there's a decent amount of young arms in the minors that'll be ready either next year or in 2016 (Newcomb, Ellis, McGowin, Smith) until then, sign mid-level stopgaps to fill the rotation.

If they give out a big contract to somebody it better be young position player like Yosmani Tomas. Only two of the Angels' position players are under 30 and they have zero replacements in the minors.

Outside the box thinking here but they should look into tandem starting Santiago and Rasmus. 

It's been done in the minors but the L/R platoon could work with these guys. 

I'm a little hesitant to count on him as a full time starter but I would have no issue if they tried to stretch him out a bit. Maybe he can give you 10-15 starts next year and see what he gives you. 

his minor league history is interesting.  

injured to start his career (shoulder surgery) and missed almost 2 years

had a good 2010 as a starter and then injured again in 2011 after making only 7 starts.

never made a start above high A.  

then got converted in 2012 probably due to injury concerns and had a solid campaign.  

In 2013 he was dominant as a reliever and we got him.  

So developmentally, he was pretty raw even at 25.  He wasn't a failed starter so much as they converted him due to injury risk.  

I'd love to see him get a chance to start as long as they feel his arm can handle it.