• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kenta Maeda, expected to be posted this winter

Chuck

And whaaat? Weaver was nowhere near as good as Tanaka this year

actuality, i stand corrected on that i accidentally pulled Weaver's LDS stats.

that having been said statistically, if you want to compare ERA and WHIP Jepson was similar to Tanaka.

or between Richards and Shoe

again though, context... Tanaka was not worth what he got paid.  did he put up better numbers than i expected, yes, slightly, but he also broke down so i im still fine with my comments about value.

Huh? Jepsen is a reliever.

Tanaka was one of the very best pitchers in baseball before he went down. A true ace.

Any pitcher can blow out an arm at any given time. Skaggs did. As did many other pitchers. That's not something you can predict.

Again.. context, as you recall i noted how many of the Japanese imports seem to be suffering from that very same thing over here due to the difference in pitching frequency which was one of the reasons i wasnt interested.  In this case you could easily predict it as a higher possiblity than others... as i did.   Would you like to admit that i was right about that?

Garza wasnt "as good" as Tanaka in raw stats, he did however have more quality starts. 

you want to call me out, fine, but at least use all of it as opposed to the one line that suits your viewpoint.

That kind of thinking will lead you to have zero depth, as we saw this year.  Richards is recovering from major surgery.  6-9 month recovery time.  Could he be back sooner?  Sure, I guess it's possible--but no one really knows how he'll be once he's back.  And Chuck will probably flip out again, but I think it's way too soon to classify Shoemaker as an "ace."

Way too early to say Shoemaker is an ace. I'm pretty comfortable now that he can be worth a spot in the rotation for a long time to come, but to judge him an "ace" on what was effectively half a good season (he had a 4.38 ERA in the first half) seems rather premature.

Shoemaker regressing is one of my biggest fears going into next season. I'm somewhat optimistic he's the real deal, but there's at least some chance he's closer to the 5th starter guy he was in the first half than the ace he was in the second.

Again.. context, as you recall i noted how many of the Japanese imports seem to be suffering from that very same thing over here due to the difference in pitching frequency which was one of the reasons i wasnt interested.  In this case you could easily predict it as a higher possiblity than others... as i did.   Would you like to admit that i was right about that?

Garza wasnt "as good" as Tanaka in raw stats, he did however have more quality starts. 

you want to call me out, fine, but at least use all of it as opposed to the one line that suits your viewpoint.

Yeah, about that...

Matt Garza made 27 starts -- 17 of which were considered quality starts.   Tanaka made 20 starts, 16 of them QSs....    Looking beyond the fact that a QS starts at 6 innings and 3 ER (4.50 era), having had 1 more QS in 7 more attempts doesn't really make a case for Garza other than he managed to remain healthier than Tanaka.  Tanaka's 80% QS% ranked 6th in MLB among pitchers with at least 20 starts.  Matt Garza's 63% QS% is identical to that of John Danks. 

FTR, I wouldn't have paid 175 Mil for Tanaka either.   Way too much risk involved IMO.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Over the weekend, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported Maeda has "told some Japanese media that when he's posted he prefers to play for the Yankees or Red Sox." Cafardo says speculation right now has Maeda receiving a six-year contract in the $120 million to $130 million range.

This guy is a bad bet at 120-130 mil IMO.   He doesn't have Tanaka's wipeout splitter and he's a bit on the smallish side.

Huh? Jepsen is a reliever.

Tanaka was one of the very best pitchers in baseball before he went down. A true ace.

Any pitcher can blow out an arm at any given time. Skaggs did. As did many other pitchers. That's not something you can predict.

a lot of people/scouts were concerned about Tanaka developing arm problems. 

Maybe he did it to lower expectations.. and if things went wrong he can fall back on that. You can't believe everything a GM says to the media.

I still don't think they would be dishing out $175 million if they believed that's all he was. $175 million for a #3 starter...does that sound right to you?

Maybe he did it to lower expectations.. and if things went wrong he can fall back on that. You can't believe everything a GM says to the media.

I still don't think they would be dishing out $175 million if they believed that's all he was. $175 million for a #3 starter...does that sound right to you?

for the Yankees? 

yes

He didn't. But the injury he suffered almost always leads to TJ. Maybe he's an exception.

then you can't just keep making the argument about predicting Tommy John surgery until he actually has it.

Again, nobody specidically predicted he would have TJ surgery, but many were concerned he would develop arm problems because of his excessive workload.  In hus final year in Japan head 7 starts of over 122 pitches. In their championship series he made 160 pitches in Game 6 ....   followed by 15 more the very next day.

If a prospect did that here everyone would have the same concerns