• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 First-Year Player Draft Thread

And the Angels' 3rd rounder is...

RHP Chris Ellis from Ole Miss

Chris Ellis
Mississippi, Junior
Height: 6'5", Weight: 205
Position: RHP
DOB: 9/22/1992
Bats: L, Throws: R

Prev. drafted: 2011, 50th (1514) - LAD

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 45 | Overall: 50

Ellis spent most of his first two seasons at Mississippi as a reliever and struggled through a difficult sophomore season when he was hampered by an abdominal injury. He bounced back to make a successful transition to the rotation in the Cape Cod League last summer, and he has been more consistent than ever as the Rebels' No. 1 starter in 2014.

A 50th-round pick out of an Alabama high school by the Dodgers in 2011, Ellis has the makings of three average or better big league pitches. His fastball usually operates at 91-93 mph and peaks at 95, and he can sink it or cut it or run it in on right-handers. He can miss bats with his solid changeup, and he has some depth and power on his curveball.

Ellis might have a little more velocity in him, because he has room to add strength on his tall frame and because he focused on filling the strike zone rather than cutting loose this year. He does a nice job of throwing strikes but gets hurt when he leaves his pitches up in the zone.

Rob (Socal)

Do you think the angels are happy that newcomb fell or disappointed beede was taken one spot ahead of them?

Klaw
  (1:19 PM)

I think they'd have been happy either way - but in my opinion they got the better pitcher.

------------------------------------------------

From Keith Law's chat going on right now. I'm excited about Newcomb.

Edited by jshep

Rhoades, Jeremy

Illinois State (IL)

RHP

R/R

JR

6'4" 225lbs DOB: 02/12/93 | vid_icon.pngScouting videoRhoades earned all-Missouri Valley Conference honors as a sophomore reliever in 2013, and he has thrived this year while splitting his time between the bullpen and the rotation. He faded a little bit toward the end of the regular season, though that wasn't a major concern because he profiles as a reliever in pro ball. Rhoades' best pitch is a legitimate swing-and-miss slider that can sit in the mid-80s and features late tilt. He commands it better than his fastball, which usually operates at 90-92 mph and tops out at 94. He could add a tick or two of velocity if he reverts to full-time bullpen duty as a pro. Though his strong build gives him the durability to be a starter, Rhoades has some effort in his delivery and doesn't always repeat his mechanics consistently. His changeup lags behind his fastball and slider, and he'll probably scrap it once he focuses on becoming a reliever.

Eh, I don't really care for this pick. 

90-92 as a reliever, high effort delivery and has trouble repeating mechanics 

That's his FB velo as a starter. They're saying it will go up as a reliever. Already tops at 94 per BA.

Damn, Reds grabbed Gavin LaValley.

HS 3B with some power that I liked. Oh well

And I'll agree with some others here, Rhoades is the first pick of their draft that I'm pretty unimpressed with.

Edited by jshep