• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Accommodations question

The wife and I are making the trip to the Big A for Derek Jeter's last game at Anaheim on Wednesday, May 7. Originally we had planned to go down and back the same day, but with nine hours on the road plus the game, meals, etc., we decided this was too much. We are looking for a hotel in the general area of the stadium that won't break the bank but either has a shuttle to the ballpark or is within reasonable walking distance. In the past we have usually stayed at a hotel in Santa Ana off Dyer Road and 55, which would be OK if we don't find something closer. For this trip, since we're just coming for the game, proximity to the beach is irrelevant.

The Ayers Inn in Orange is worth a look, also the Doubletree isn't super expensive, especially mid-week. (try priceline or one of those sites)

Both are easy walking distance to the ballpark.

When I checked the website for Ayres Inn, it said they are 2.5 miles from the ballpark. My wife has knee problems, so I doubt that is a hike we can make. Might be stuck with driving if we pick that one.

A quick check showed Ayres about $129, Pepper Tree at about $80 and Doubletree fully booked with no rooms available. That is from the hotels' own websites, may be able to get a better deal through Priceline, Hotwire or Hotels.com.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

When I checked the website for Ayres Inn, it said they are 2.5 miles from the ballpark. My wife has knee problems, so I doubt that is a hike we can make. Might be stuck with driving if we pick that one.

A quick check showed Ayres about $129, Pepper Tree at about $80 and Doubletree fully booked with no rooms available. That is from the hotels' own websites, may be able to get a better deal through Priceline, Hotwire or Hotels.com.

There are 2 Ayres Inns..  There is one at Katella and Douglass and one at Chapman and State College.. I don't even think the one at State College and Chapman is 2.5 miles away, and that's the one furthest from the stadium. 

There is this one, too.. 

TownePlace Suites Anaheim Maingate Near Angel Stadium
1730 S State College Blvd
Anaheim, CA 92806

(714) 939-9700

It's part of the Marriott chain.. 

Being that close to Disneyland and the Convention Center, etc..there are taxis (unlike most of OC)

Not sure about getting them out of the stadium, but The Catch is right across the street where you can chill with a drink and call one from there.

you don't cross a street to get to the stadium from the Catch

The Ayres I referred to is right off the 57 at Karelia and across from the pond. It's a pretty quick 10 min walk into the parking. Lot. Definitely not 2.5 miles.

Please take a plane to John Wayne, it's always worth it. The drive back is pure torture, no thanks in part to the barren wasteland surrounding the 15 fwy. 

Please take a plane to John Wayne, it's always worth it. The drive back is pure torture, no thanks in part to the barren wasteland surrounding the 15 fwy. 

Orange County is always the one place that is excluded from any airfare sales from here.

I have made the drive enough times that I know what I'm in for.

Just for the heck of it, I checked airfares on Southwest. Would add about $400 to the cost of the trip, plus I would have to rent a car.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Being that close to Disneyland and the Convention Center, etc..there are taxis (unlike most of OC)

Not sure about getting them out of the stadium, but The Catch is right across the street where you can chill with a drink and call one from there.

There are usually cabs lurking at the stadium after a game, go straight out from the home plate entrance.

Orange County is always the one place that is excluded from any airfare sales from here.

I have made the drive enough times that I know what I'm in for.

Ah, that's too bad. You'll be fine in that case, especially if you avoid the traffic.

I stay down there every time I go to a game and walk to the park.

The Embassy Suites (new- used to be a Hliton) on State College Blvd. is a great way to go -- it's right next to the OC Grill -- there's no shuttle there from the ballpark -- don't know why they have not done this - probably because the City of Anaheim shuttle to service to Anaheim (which runs like clock work) requires a payment of some sort and the Halos don't want to encourage a shuttle that will only take away from parking revenue --  hard to fathom/ say........

if the Embassy Suites is a bit out of the price range.........the next best option is the Towne Suites that PattiMelt's post recommends. It is closer to the park, across from The (new) Catch and a fairly easy walk to the ball park........if your wife has a real issue with walking -- you might check to see if you can rent (locally) a wheel chair for the short trip/ walk to and from the park.......

I think PattiMelt's recommendation is probably the best bet. The Towne Suites Inn I think  it's called. I 've stayed there -- nice accomodations. Ballpark close.

Another option is one of the places down Katella (The Angel INN used to be one)........lower cost and the quality reflects it (more like a Motel 6) -- stayed there with my then young family (three young boys) years ago when we were all young and broke.........my middle son's first Angel games (vs. Sparky Anderson managed Tigers) -- my youngest son was too young/ little to attend.

Have fun down at the ballyard.