• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dilbert Wishes You a Slow And Horrible Death

He wrote this at a very emotional time in his life. I wonder what his father was suffering from and how the government was interfering with his care.

Maybe you missed that part or didn't read the blog. Doctor assisted suicide is only legal in three states, Oregon, Washington and Vermont with Montana allowing consent to be used as a defense. Otherwise it is prosecuted as murder. Mr. Adams father did not give consent for his son to commit a humane act we would offer a pet and face jail time. Instead he went on in a protracted and painful manner because that is the law of the land. Suffering before humanitarian compassion, the American way.

I remember a while back when we had an assisted suicide thread on here and I got so mad. Probably the most mad I've been on AW participating in a thread.

I agree MT, it's one of the most opinionated topics you can talk about (but it's not as brought up nearly as abortion or gay marriage or all the other ones)

Maybe you missed that part or didn't read the blog. Doctor assisted suicide is only legal in three states, Oregon, Washington and Vermont with Montana allowing consent to be used as a defense. Otherwise it is prosecuted as murder. Mr. Adams father did not give consent for his son to commit a humane act we would offer a pet and face jail time. Instead he went on in a protracted and painful manner because that is the law of the land. Suffering before humanitarian compassion, the American way.

Right. I understand that. I was just wondering what his father was suffering from. I wasn't defending the government's position or anything like that.

Not as much as dying.

Assisted suicide is a touchy subject but I think it is up to the individual to choose when the pain has reached their maximum to withstand and still want another day of it or put an end to suffering.

I guess the stigma of the word suicide is that it is a cowardly way to escape life so it should not be sanctioned. But it isn't cowardice that points people this direction, it is understanding they are no longer able to endure any more pain and suffering and don't wish their family and friends to witness it and be drawn into it on their own level.

Adams is showing his indignation towards a faceless government that refuses people's ability to maintain their little bit of autonomy and humanity and choose not to endure a horrible and costly end. I agree with Adams, although I am not sure what level of acceptance I could come to if a family member or friend made this choice. I certainly don't think some helmet haired politician should make that decision for them.

Not as much as dying.

Assisted suicide is a touchy subject but I think it is up to the individual to choose when the pain has reached their maximum to withstand and still want another day of it or put an end to suffering.

I guess the stigma of the word suicide is that it is a cowardly way to escape life so it should not be sanctioned. But it isn't cowardice that points people this direction, it is understanding they are no longer able to endure any more pain and suffering and don't wish their family and friends to witness it and be drawn into it on their own level.

Adams is showing his indignation towards a faceless government that refuses people's ability to maintain their little bit of autonomy and humanity and choose not to endure a horrible and costly end. I agree with Adams, although I am not sure what level of acceptance I could come to if a family member or friend made this choice. I certainly don't think some helmet haired politician should make that decision for them.

Here here

I say if someone wants to die, let them die. It gets a bit hairy when  the subject isn't able to communicate their wishes. 

In any and all situations, or just when they're on the brink of death? Should depressed people be allowed to end their lives at the hands of a doctor?

Physician-assisted "termination" should be in our future.  As long as the wishes of the patient and family are legally-respected, I don't see why there is still a battle.  Legal, of course, leads to litigation, lawyering, and other things that take too much time and expense to understand.  But, a legal living will or advance-directive with a DNR clause (do not resuscitate) backed by the patient and family should be respected.

It would also ease the burden of health care.

just to be clear, there is a significant moral difference between a DNR and asking a doctor to help end your life. i don't think our gov't should be in the business of sanctioning physician-assisted suicide, but i don't really have an option to suggest in its place, and that's because of my spiritual beliefs. 

Your spiritual beliefs should not force another person to endure an agonizing death. I think that is Adam's whole point, the decision making process here should not be in the hands of politicians or based on various religious beliefs. Each side has their own agenda to push but it has nothing to do with the individual that is going through the dying process. It has to do with them being right instead of compassionate.

I think it's much better to not respect someone's wishes and continue racking up costs for patients in their last year of life that get passed on to the living.  My bad attempt at a hyperbole aside I read at one time that patients on medicare in their last year of life represent ~5% of those receiving benefits yet account for something like 30% of the costs.  Not all of those people are in a situation where they are suffering but pumping people full of drugs to draw out an agonizing or low quality of life sure doesn't seem right.  All that aside if someone is suffering I think their opinion is the only one that should matter since it's their life.     

Your spiritual beliefs should not force another person to endure an agonizing death. I think that is Adam's whole point, the decision making process here should not be in the hands of politicians or based on various religious beliefs. Each side has their own agenda to push but it has nothing to do with the individual that is going through the dying process. It has to do with them being right instead of compassionate.

valid points, mud.

as in the debate on abortion, there really isn't one clear option. all sides in the issue have their points to make, many of which are good points. emotional issues like this never have an easy solution, but it's at least worth discussing openly and honestly.

I can respect the religious argument as long as it stays in the home and not the law books. I see a big difference between this and abortion in that the choice is in the hands of a third party, not the actual patient to be terminated.

Just as I don't think my beliefs should interfere with someone choosing to end their own suffering through assisted suicide, I, like you, have an inner confict with terminating another life without consent through abortion.

But then flop back to agreeing upon the death penalty being inforced. So it is obvious that my moral compass true north is about any direction I choose and understanding that I can't see how I could effectively pass legislation regarding any of the three subjects.

Certainly politicians have less credibilty in that regard as well.

My mother had always said she wanted DNR and no life support systems, so when it came her turn for the big decision, the docs had a ventilator in her, which was required to be removed for a short period each day.  The staff asked her is she wanted the ventilator re-inserted and she said - no.  They then asked if she knew what that meant and she said yes.

She passed about 15 minutes later.