• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout-ish Pron/Replacement Level Player

ettin

So today FanGraphs introduced two new "stats", "Offense" and "Defense". The former calculates runs above/below average for offensive and base running ability. The latter calculates runs above/below for defensive ability modified by position played.

I wanted to see if there were any players who were truly "replacement level" (i.e. close to 0 in both offense and defense) from 2010 to 2013 (the closest I found were Everth Cabrera and Emilio Bonifacio by the way) so I sorted from highest to lowest using just the offensive stat and then went to where the list is close to zero and looked to see if any players were also close to '0' on defense.

However when I first loaded the page for the 2010-2013 time frame Mr. Trout's name immediately caught my eye coming in at #8. This is all the more amazing considering that he didn't play in 2010 and only played about 20% of the 2011 season, yet his total offensive numbers over the last two years place him ahead of names like Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Troy Tulowitzki, et. al. despite the fact they had approximately 90%-100% more plate appearances. Miguel Cabrera of course leads the list as he had nearly double the number of plate appearances.

Really remarkable: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2010&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=19%2cd