• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Draft Thread

On 5/29/2024 at 10:48 AM, totdprods said:

Never ever bad to have a top catching prospect. Tremendously value in trades, hard to develop, usually able to move to another position if need be…

I’m old enough to remember the last time they had a top catching prospect and used him as trade currency for 6 starts of a 6.89 ERA

On 6/4/2024 at 10:15 AM, jsnpritchett said:

I'm biased, since he went to my old high school, but I've now decided I want the Angels to draft Conrad Cason.  Two-way player who's committed to Mississippi State, but can probably be signed away.  Doesn't turn 18 until August.  Touches 97-98 and also has a great changeup.

https://www.mlb.com/prospe

On 6/4/2024 at 10:15 AM, jsnpritchett said:

I'm biased, since he went to my old high school, but I've now decided I want the Angels to draft Conrad Cason.  Two-way player who's committed to Mississippi State, but can probably be signed away.  Doesn't turn 18 until August.  Touches 97-98 and also has a great changeup.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/conrad-cason-815359

cts/draft/conrad-cason-815359

Looks good. Since he's ranked #99 I wonder if the Angels can nab him in the second or third round. I know rankings don't matter and teams don't really care where an amateur is ranked by nerds, but it would be nice if the Angels actually drafted a talented HS'er rather than a player in the college ranks that is closest to the big leagues. 

55 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Looks good. Since he's ranked #99 I wonder if the Angels can nab him in the second or third round. I know rankings don't matter and teams don't really care where an amateurs are ranked by nerds, but it would be nice if the Angels actually drafted a talented HS'er rather than a player who in the college ranks that is closest to the big leagues. 

I’d do this:

• #8: college bat (at/under-slot)
  • #45: college arm
  • #76: HS arm/bat
  • #83: HS arm/bat

We’re rebuilding the farm and need to distribute the type of players we get, and I still think taking someone at/under-slot with first pick will give us flexibility to nab some pseudo-1st round talent later on. Whatever process they’ve used to get college bats in the first round (Neto, Schanuel) and HS arms the last couple drafts seem to be working (Dana, Kent, Madden) better than college arms so I’d tend to prioritize that process and type of selection this time around.

Not as worried about position or even ceiling, we just really need to start building a good farm. 

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I’d do this:

• #8: college bat (at/under-slot)
  • #45: college arm
  • #76: HS arm/bat
  • #83: HS arm/bat

We’re rebuilding the farm and need to distribute the type of players we get, and I still think taking someone at/under-slot with first pick will give us flexibility to nab some pseudo-1st round talent later on. Whatever process they’ve used to get college bats in the first round (Neto, Schanuel) and HS arms the last couple drafts seem to be working (Dana, Kent, Madden) better than college arms so I’d tend to prioritize that process and type of selection this time around.

Not as worried about position or even ceiling, we just really need to start building a good farm. 

Just can’t repeat drafting someone in the first round that is taken at least 15 slots higher than projected (Schanuel).   So far, that hasn’t worked (low .600s OPS so far in 2024).

18 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Just can’t repeat drafting someone in the first round that is taken at least 15 slots higher than projected (Schanuel).   So far, that hasn’t worked (low .600s OPS so far in 2024).

I dunno, that seems pretty good for a guy who went straight to bigs essentially. Schanuel has his faults but I don’t think it can be ruled a bad pick so far.

Would be cool if some of our overslot guys from 2023 draft started showing this year too. 

The latest mock from June 6 shows the Halos taking Tibbs 8 spots under slot.   Certainly is better than taking Schanuel 15 spots under slot.

I don’t know, unless they trade Ward and Tibbs plays LF.  

The bat plays (solid Cape Cod batting and monster college batting).

Arm rates as a little above average, but maybe not enough for RF, although playing there the entire 2024 season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

12 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

The latest mock from June 6 shows the Halos taking Tibbs 8 spots under slot.   Certainly is better than taking Schanuel 15 spots under slot.

I don’t know, unless they trade Ward and Tibbs plays LF.  

The bat plays (solid Cape Cod batting and monster college batting).

Arm rates as a little above average, but maybe not enough for RF, although playing there the entire 2024 season.

And we can say "They call me Mr. Tibbs" when he hits a game winning homer or something!

Loved that movie as Poitier and Steigers both did tremendous acting performances....

~ArkyAngelsFan~

For the first 3 picks, these are the guys I would be fine taking;

8th Pick: 

1. Anyone in the top 8, Guys that I have seen ranged at 8 and also at 1. 

45th pick:

1. Ryan Waldschmidt, honesty he might not be available at this pick. 

2. Santucci: looking at  a middle of the rotation upside 

3. Ryan Johson; Interesting  RHP with his size and plus-plus slider. Could have some hidden upside.

4. jared Thomas

75th Pick 

1. Ethan Anderson

2. Ryan Forcucci 

3. JD Dix  

21 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I thought this was noteworthy:

“Similar to the first pick and the ones following, a lot of discount deals may not come at the price cut it normally would with a bigger group of tiers in the first round. 

The deal-cutting options are probably going to save the club around $750K to $1M, which is significant away from the first handful of picks but may not be enough to deter them away from what are considered the top tier college players.”

Furthers my belief that they should just go BPA at 8 and not try and cut a deal.

Edited by BTH

On 6/14/2024 at 8:16 AM, Dtwncbad said:

The article went straight into tier talk.  Let’s not be surprised if Swordsman comes out with mock draft tiers, with this one in tier one.

Tiers are the future.  Everyone gets it except some hardliners here. 

Hop on board.  We are a happy bus!

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Latest MLB Pipeline mock draft has the Halos taking Nick Kurtz.

Uhh, they already have a 1B. 

Good thing there’s a DH

BPA imo

I think BPA is definitely fair, but obviously that's determined by the Angels and not some writer.

Nick Kurtz sounds kinda meh on paper but his bat is uhh, something else. Like Schanuel but with a metric fuckton of power. He's probably another guy they'd move quickly through the system.

Wake Forest has a smaller field but I believe it has generally been relatively neutral. I have no idea how the ACC is for hitters vs. pitchers but I'm sure @Inside Pitch could fill us in on that.