• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A silly-but-fun poll question

A dumb-but-fun poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one or the other

• Mike Trout is healthy (130+ games) and bounces back (7+ WAR), but the Angels don't make the postseason
    • Mike Trout continues to struggle with injury and decline, but the Angels squeak into the postseason

Emphasis on 2024 only. Meaning, picking the first doesn't mean the Angels won't compete in 2025; picking the second doesn't mean Trout doesn't bounce back in 2025.

I'm guessing most pick the second, but I'm actually picking the first - at least for 2024. More than anything, I want to see some semblance of the old Trout back, and feel that if he doesn't bounce back this year, he never will. Maybe it is because I don't have much expectations for contention this year and can another two or three years. I just feel like seeing Trout back would be immensely enjoyable.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Emphasis on 2024 only. Meaning, picking the first doesn't mean the Angels won't compete in 2025; picking the second doesn't mean Trout doesn't bounce back in 2025.

I'm guessing most pick the second, but I'm actually picking the first - at least for 2024. More than anything, I want to see some semblance of the old Trout back, and feel that if he doesn't bounce back this year, he never will. Maybe it is because I don't have much expectations for contention this year and can another two or three years. I just feel like seeing Trout back would be immensely enjoyable.

Concur

I am looking at 2024 setting up serious post-season contention in 2025.  But to do that, Trout has to start staying healthy again.

I picked the top option because unless he rebounds or rather can stay healthy, they won't be contending.

Now as to the chances of making the postseason. Last season the top 6 fWAR totals in the AL, the lowest was 42 (Rays and M's), but the Rangers made it with 41.9 and the Orioles with 40.1..  So basically they Angels would need to be around 41.0 fWAR to be within reach -- they are currently projected for 33.4.  If Trout were to get to 7 fWAR, he'd be exceeding their projection of 4.4 by 2.6 fWAR meaning the rest of the team would need to see about 6.5 fWAR in internal improvement to reach 42 or at least 4.5 fWAR to be projecting near 40 fWAR at the deadline...

If you believe O'Hoppe will beat his projection by both improving defensively and greater playing time, are praying that Rendon can stay off the DL, and that Drury simply repeats his numbers from last year then it's not crazy to think those three could make for 2.0 to 2.5 fWAR better than they're being projected for. 

When push comes to shove; RF, DH, and the pitching are the wild cards.  fWAR thinks the DH possibilities suck (1.0 fWAR). They have zero faith in Adell/Moniak/Hicks in RF (0.4 fWAR).  So, add a SP capable of 2 fWAR to push Silseth to AAA, hope for improvements from the four returning SPs, even moderate improves of 0.25-0.50 fWAR and for the pen to see improvement by virtue of fewer arsonists and it's not impossible although improbable.

Whip out your pixie dust ladies and gentlemen! Rengifo needs to start off playing well for once, they need try to get 1.5 fWAR more than they're being projected for out of RF, and they need to stay healthy (lol) for them to have any sort of shot.

Scenario 1 is fine if the Angels are competitive and play meaningful games late into the season, but miss the playoffs because the competition is so good.

I'll go with Scenario 2 if Scenario 1 means another season of total mediocrity.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Scenario 1 is fine if the Angels are competitive and play meaningful games late into the season, but miss the playoffs because the competition is so good.

I'll go with Scenario 2 if Scenario 1 means another season of total mediocrity.

Basically this for me.  @Angelsjunky this was a truly difficult decision. If it was simply Trout is injured again and the Angels make the playoffs, then I would choose that option.  But when you factor in decline, I’d rather see a competitive team with a healthy, productive Trout.  It stretches out the window in that scenario.  Where as a declining Trout to where he is merely a 3-4 WAR player, while still good, it closes another window so to speak.

18 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I picked the top option because unless he rebounds or rather can stay healthy, they won't be contending.

Now as to the chances of making the postseason. Last season the top 6 fWAR totals in the AL, the lowest was 42 (Rays and M's), but the Rangers made it with 41.9 and the Orioles with 40.1..  So basically they Angels would need to be around 41.0 fWAR to be within reach -- they are currently projected for 33.4.  If Trout were to get to 7 fWAR, he'd be exceeding their projection of 4.4 by 2.6 fWAR meaning the rest of the team would need to see about 6.5 fWAR in internal improvement to reach 42 or at least 4.5 fWAR to be projecting near 40 fWAR at the deadline...

If you believe O'Hoppe will beat his projection by both improving defensively and greater playing time, are praying that Rendon can stay off the DL, and that Drury simply repeats his numbers from last year then it's not crazy to think those three could make for 2.0 to 2.5 fWAR better than they're being projected for. 

When push comes to shove; RF, DH, and the pitching are the wild cards.  fWAR thinks the DH possibilities suck (1.0 fWAR). They have zero faith in Adell/Moniak/Hicks in RF (0.4 fWAR).  So, add a SP capable of 2 fWAR to push Silseth to AAA, hope for improvements from the four returning SPs, even moderate improves of 0.25-0.50 fWAR and for the pen to see improvement by virtue of fewer arsonists and it's not impossible although improbable.

Whip out your pixie dust ladies and gentlemen! Rengifo needs to start off playing well for once they need try to get 1.5 fWAR more than they're being projected for out of RF and to stay healthy (lol) for them not to have any sort of shot.

I think giving Rentifo 2B and getting him 500+ at bats is the best way forward. Give Drury DH or rotate him with Rendon. 

4 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I think giving Rentifo 2B and getting him 500+ at bats is the best way forward. Give Drury DH or rotate him with Rendon. 

We don't want Drury anywhere near 3B, but with 2B/DH/1B sort of flexible he should see everyday at bats.  But his defense at 3B has been awful. My guess is Rengifo is the spot guy at 3B.  Let's hope this is the season he gets off to a non horrid start.

Lets get into the GD Postseason to get the monkey off our back, because anything can happen once you're there. 

Trout, if not 100% through the season, would be able to take the time off after we clinch to rest up (hopefully a week or more), then still manage to go out there for the playoff games.

We gotta get rid of this dark shadow that's looming over us, and clinching the year after Ohtani leaves would definitely make a statement. 

this isn't a playoff team, so while i want them to do well, i don't see the playoffs as the goal just yet.

i'd much rather see a healthy and productive Trout this year, while also seeing progress from others on the team, and move over .500 for the first time in a while, and then go all out for the playoffs next year.

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

We don't want Drury anywhere near 3B, but with 2B/DH/1B sort of flexible he should see everyday at bats.  But his defense at 3B has been awful. My guess is Rengifo is the spot guy at 3B.  Let's hope this is the season he gets off to a non horrid start.

Either way, Washington and Goins should have their hands full trying to turn Rengifo, Shanuel, and Stefanic into decent defenders.

21 hours ago, Tank said:

this isn't a playoff team, so while i want them to do well, i don't see the playoffs as the goal just yet.

i'd much rather see a healthy and productive Trout this year, while also seeing progress from others on the team, and move over .500 for the first time in a while, and then go all out for the playoffs next year.

I agree 100% with this, Tank. I am going with choice #1, and if they also manage to get into postseason, that will be delicious icing on the cake. Having him healthy will allow his presence and production to allow for some of the young players to continue to develop and gain valuable experience. Choice #2, in my opinion, would be just the fact that they got lucky due to another WC-bound team hitting a slump allowing the Angels to slip in the last WC spot, whereupon they would probably get trounced. Then, the following season, the team continues to struggle.

31 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So the poll is basically. . .

Are you MORE of a Trout fan than an Angel fan or are you MORE of an Angel fan than a Trout fan?

It kind of comes out that way on the surface of it, but I like to find the nuance hidden within those two polling choices -- or at least create nuance. The poll doesn't allow for being both, but I think everyone here probably would like to see a combination of both choices. Personally, I want to see Trout healthy and doing well, and for the team to win with Trout,