• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you all really have been happy trading Ohtani for prospects?

Hubs

Ok he left in FA. For our crosstown rival. That sucks but they paid him a ton, deferred money aside. I doubt Arte would’ve wanted to defer as much as he did anyway, and it’s still a huge hit. Maybe he would’ve. 

Yes there would be some shiny new prospects on the farm but I doubt they’d have gotten anyone in the league’s top 30 for a two month rental. And the teams willing to trade for him, well, they would not have been the same team to sign him either.

I think they need to pivot to a few players and Arte needs to spend 70ish million on some new free agents and more importantly, spend on development. 

Personally, without Ohtani, I’d spend on Snell or Yamamoto. Imanga maybe too. Or Trade for Glasnow. Add Hicks or Moore or both.

Id definitely look at Korean OF Jung Lee and an infield bat. Maybe Tim Anderson is a good fit.

Without hindsight, no. I thought going all in at the break was the right call. It was a tough call, but we were too close to not try. Now if I had known it would completely blow up in our faces and Shohei was leaving 100%, of course. 

Im not convinced that if we didn’t sneak into the playoffs that he wouldn’t still be here. But, what do I know?

16 minutes ago, mmc said:

Not exactly, their 2nd and 5th round picks are removed and we get a compensatory pick at the end of the 2nd round, but their pick doesn't convey directly to us

This is why they almost feel like they they may not sign a QO fa. As of now they get an 8, 38 and 70 ish. Possibility of infusing some talent. 

28 minutes ago, mmc said:

Not exactly, their 2nd and 5th round picks are removed and we get a compensatory pick at the end of the 2nd round, but their pick doesn't convey directly to us

When it comes up, we should ask the Dodgers "who would you pick here" and then pick that guy.

That way it will twist the knife just a tiny bit.  A very tiny bit.

1 hour ago, Halo in Chicago said:

Without hindsight, no. I thought going all in at the break was the right call. It was a tough call, but we were too close to not try. Now if I had known it would completely blow up in our faces and Shohei was leaving 100%, of course. 

Im not convinced that if we didn’t sneak into the playoffs that he wouldn’t still be here. But, what do I know?

I think the only chance would have been a trip to the World Series.  Sneaking into the playoffs, and losing in the 1st round, even though like the Dodgers, and he still would have left.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

100% would have been ok with it and have said that multiple times before now.

It was the obvious logical move. Arte wanted to sell jerseys and tickets instead of win. 

The future doesn’t look much better and the fact that people think a 71 year old manager is going to magically turn things around is laughable. There needs to be a serious overhaul of this team and that includes the front office and owner. 

25 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

It was the obvious logical move. Arte wanted to sell jerseys and tickets instead of win. 

The future doesn’t look much better and the fact that people think a 71 year old manager is going to magically turn things around is laughable. There needs to be a serious overhaul of this team and that includes the front office and owner. 

Well, he considered selling last offseason.

I think he had one foot in and one foot out. Then saw we were 3 games out of the Wild Card Spot and said go for it! 

when?  

+5 on July 31st.  Trout back in a couple weeks.  

was it really a stretch to ask the team to play a bit better than they had to that point in the season?  AND you go out and get a bunch of 'help'?

I think I would have been a bit disappointed considering the position they'd put themselves in.  

And frankly, I think you'd have destroyed your fan base at that point.  

You actually had a reasonable shot.  Not a great one, but certainly reasonable.