• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

26 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I was thinking earlier to myself, what would @Lou think about Ohtani leaving via free agency to the Dodgers (a team he hated) for 700 million dollars. 

I think you all know. 

Also... Made me sad thinking about him. Damn, I miss Lou.

Lou would probably wish Ohtani best of luck not getting shanked in the parking lot.

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Is your friend 100% certain on this?  While I don't doubt this is something the Dodgers would try to do, that contract seems so egregious that it's almost tempting the MLB office to nix the deal, although the chances of that happening are zero.

In the end, it is still 700 million, and 52mil AAV would still shatter all sorts of records anyway.  Just somewhat mind-boggling to see an arrangement that skewed in deferments.

My friend is certain that the guy that he knows who works for the dogs is certain.  I agree it's a pretty egregious manipulation of the allowance.  To the point that they'll change it because of this.  

And yeah.  They aren't nixing any deal where the most popular player in baseball signs a record shattering deal with one of the most storied and popular franchises in baseball after being with their cross town rivals.  This couldn't be more of what MLB wanted for this.  

53 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Lou would probably wish Ohtani best of luck not getting shanked in the parking lot.

Do you think Lou if in SO cleats would have been "loyal" to the Angels org in it's current state and turned down a 700m contract from one of the best organizations in baseball, without changing his geographical location?

50 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I wonder if Ohtani is going to receive his AL MVP award at Angels stadium during the Freeway Series. 

If it happens, Arte Moreno will demand that the Angels be made out in the presentation and the resulting news articles as a "classy organization", lol.

2 hours ago, REDneck said:

Do you think Lou if in SO cleats would have been "loyal" to the Angels org in it's current state and turned down a 700m contract from one of the best organizations in baseball, without changing his geographical location?

Lou would wear Mike Trout Nike cleats because of loyalty.  He'd maybe wear them when he signed the contract, and then again when he cashed the first check. 

7 hours ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Ok sure.  But isn’t the issue with the dodgers is they have tons of money to spend? Plus all the money they generate with media, etc.   Money and cash flow is not a problem. 

Of course it's not a problem.  But if someone told you that you could have a ferrari and pay for it 20 years from now, what would you say?  

My first reaction to this was that it was a absurd signing, and it is still an absurd amount of money.

But consider.

1. It's the Dodgers whom are ran by a corporation.

2. The dodgers are getting the greatest and the most marketable player possibly in the history of sports.

3.The Dodgers are a smart organization.

4. Shohei Ohtani in the LA proper market at this point is absolute GOLD...tickets for the Dodgers will be at an absolute premium, akin to the Lakers team of the past.

5. Deferred money!

6. CA taxes...u gotta pay athletes more to sign in CA

7. Inflation. Even if SO turns into a albertatross in 5 years, this contract might not look so bad in 5 years.

8. World Series, I predict SO will help the Dodgers win a WS title in the next few years.

9. SO will prob go into the HOF as a Dodger.

10. And the most important thing from the standpoint of the Dodgers org. Shohei Ohtani is an absolute marketing beast at this point and will probably remain very lucrative thru out his career esp in the LA area...he's literally a gold mine! 

Did I miss anything?

It's still an absurd contract!

12 minutes ago, REDneck said:

My first reaction to this was that it was a absurd signing, and it is still an absurd amount of money.

But consider.

1. It's the Dodgers whom are ran by a corporation.

2. The dodgers are getting the greatest and the most marketable player possibly in the history of sports.

3.The Dodgers are a smart organization.

4. Shohei Ohtani in the LA proper market at this point is absolute GOLD...tickets for the Dodgers will be at an absolute premium, akin to the Lakers team of the past.

5. Deferred money!

6. CA taxes...u gotta pay athletes more to sign in CA

7. Inflation. Even if SO turns into a albertatross in 5 years, this contract might not look so bad in 5 years.

8. World Series, I predict SO will help the Dodgers win a WS title in the next few years.

9. SO will prob go into the HOF as a Dodger.

10. And the most important thing from the standpoint of the Dodgers org. Shohei Ohtani is an absolute marketing beast at this point and will probably remain very lucrative thru out his career esp in the LA area...he's literally a gold mine! 

Did I miss anything?

It's still an absurd contract!

The $700 million was never going to be an issue for the Dodgers. The issue was always going to be paying him, and staying competitive within the confines of the luxury tax and it's penalties. Deferring the money solves the only issue.

The Dodgers went against how they normally operate in order to sign Ohtani.  I hope it becomes back to bite them in the ass.  Their FO always brags about they develop internally and don’t sign huge names for long term big $ contracts.  Understandable to allow an exception for Ohtani but we will see how they fare going against their own principles.  I guess they have been doing it more lately with Freeman and Betts earlier but yeah.  Let’s see what happens. 

14 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

Their FO always brags about they develop internally and don’t sign huge names for long term big $ contracts.

Their three best players are Betts, Freeman and now Ohtani. None of them were developed internally and they all have nice big $ contracts.  The best player they developed recently was Corey Seager and they let him walk.

Also - I've never seen or heard or read anything from their FO that was "bragging."

The Dodgers last season were a relatively old team with the median at 31. Only three starting players in the field were from the Dodgers farm. None of their primary backup fielders were from the Dodgers farm. Except for Syndergaard the entire starting pitching staff was home grown. That is where their money savings are.